Chapter 2: His 38th Birthday (Part Two)

At the Beginning With You

Ji Hyo smiled to herself as the events of that night in the hospital played in her mind. She was thankful for having Jong Kook in her life, and she also knew that he would be the one for her. However, when she heard him tell the others that he still had to reconsider about getting married with her, she felt a sudden wave of disappointment, but she also did not want to spoil the atmosphere. She looks back at how much her life has changed with him being her boyfriend. She remembered how he surprised her on her birthday by planning a getaway to Jeju island for a couple of days, how he would always stay up to wait for her to come home even in the wee hours of the night, how he always tries his best to cheer her up whenever she feels down, and he has never complained about her losing her temper at him because she has had a bad day at work. But as much as she enjoys his unconditional love and care, she wants to be able to settle down with him, have a family, and hopefully give him the life that he has been yearning for. 

Ji Hyo sees the love in Jong Kook's eyes when he held Dream, Haha's son, in his arms last year after Byul gave birth in July. He always said that he wanted to have many children with the woman he loves. Since Haha had his baby, Jong Kook never fails to visit them at least once a week. Dream is actually Jong Kook's god-son and the little one really adores him. While she was engrossed in her thoughts, a pair of muscular arms s around her waist, making Ji Hyo jump in surprise. 

Jong Kook saw the look on Ji Hyo's face after his response, and he knew that she wasn't happy about his answer. He followed her out into the balcony and saw her smiling to herself. The past year with Ji Hyo has been one of the best in his life. He has never felt more alive than when he was with her because she is such an adventurous person, which is an exact opposite of himself. He has already decided to propose to her on that day, because he knows that he cannot wait any longer to give this woman the title of Kim Jong Kook's wife.

"A penny for your thoughts?", asked Jong Kook. 

Surprised at his question, Ji Hyo tried to divert his attention, "Owh, Oppa, what are you doing out here? You should be inside with the others now, Gaja!"

Just as Ji Hyo was about to walk into the living room, Jong Kook went down on one knee and took out a heart-shaped cut, 3-carat diamond ring from the back pocket of his jeans. "Omo! Oppa, what is this about? Get up quickly!", exclaimed Ji Hyo who was surprised by his sudden gesture. Hearing the commotion in the balcony, everyone else who was in the living room came to the balcony, only to see the Commander proposing to the Ace. 

Still on one knee, Jong Kook began, " Song Ji Hyo ssi, the 15 months that I spent with you is the best year that I have had in my entire life. You add color to my life, which used to be extremely boring. I experienced many things like never before after becoming your boyfriend exactly 15 months ago. From the day we met, I knew you were different from the other girls that I knew, and although it seemed like you are really strong on the exterior, I realized that you are just like any girl out there. There are times where you yearn to be cared and loved for, and you don't often show others this side of you because of the image that the public has of you. But whenever I see you overly exhausted from your never-ending schedules, or when I see you sobbing silently because you were tired of pretending sometimes, it feels like there are hundreds and thousands of swords that are plunging into my heart. It hurts to see you like that but all I was able to do to help was to give you a hug and be by your side, telling you that everything will be alright. There would be times when I blamed myself for not being able to make you feel better, and so that just prompted me to shower you with even more love than before. The love that you have provided me with and the times we have spent together are just some of the things that I want to be able to hold on to and also to be able to have more of together as husband and wife. I want us to become a family and I want to be able to build a new life together. I feel more and more thankful with each passing day that I have spent with you, and I have never been more certain of a decision in my life. I promise to spend every single day that I have in this life loving you like today would be the last day we will have together, I promise to never let you shed another tear and that your life would be filled with even more joy and happiness. I know that life is a road that is filled with countless obstacles, but I promise to be with you every step of the way.So... Song Ji Hyo-ssi, are you willing to be my best friend, confidante, soulmate, and last but not least, my wife?"

Feeling extremely touched with his proposal and confession, Ji Hyo's tears were already streaming down her cheeks. She knew that the muscular man is a hopeless romantic, but she never expected that he would have the courage to propose to her in front of so many people, and that he actually noticed that she was only physically strong but not likewise psychologically. Her tears started to flow when he said that he was actually hurting inside like how she felt when she could no longer put up a facade about her true feelings. She saw the sincerity in his eyes and the passion and love he had for her in his words. At that moment, it seemed as if only the two of them existed. Two individuals who loved each other deeply, and both knew that they were ready to embark on this new phase of their lives together. The ace finally said, "Oppa... I do. I promise that I will try my best to be a woman who is worthy to be your wife, and I will try to be your pillar of support like you always have been mine. I love you Kim Jong Kook, and I always will."

The other running man members were jumping for joy and were screaming in happiness upon hearing Ji Hyo's reply. All of them were ecstatic for both the ace and the Commander and went up to congratulate the two lovebirds as Jong Kook slipped the engagement ring on Ji Hyo's left middle finger. Jong Kook then got up and held Ji Hyo in a hug as both of them whispered "Oppa/Ji-Hyo yah Saranghae" to each other. That night ended with laughter, happiness and joy for the entire running man family. After all the other members left, Jong Kook saw that Ji Hyo had fallen asleep on the sofa, with a smile on her face. He looked a his fiancee and gently lifted her up in bridal style and carried her to the guest room, careful not to wake her up from her slumber. He then laid down next to her and laid her head in theh crook of his arm. He imagined how their future would be like and smiled to himself, and he kissed her forehead lightly before finally turning in for the night. 

Sorry that I took so long to update and that this chapter is not as long. Please subscribe and leave a comment! Thanks!

Here's a picture of the engagament ring:

3 carat diamond ring