Chapter 1: His 38th Birthday (Part One)

At the Beginning With You

" Surprise!! Saengilchuka-hamnida Kim Jong Kook!", said the running man cast as they switched the lights in Jong Kook's apartment on. 

"Hyung! Quickly get married with Ji Hyo noona! You're not getting any younger, and the two of you have been going out long enough, just get married! Palli!", said Kwang-soo, who really wants to see his favorite hyung get married as soon as possible.

"He's right Jong Kook-ah, do you want to wait until Ji Hyo has become an old hag before you propose? You probably may not want to marry her anymore when that time comes.", said Jae-Suk who immediately had his hair pulled by  the Ace who was standing next to him. 

"Uri Hyung! Hurry and give Dream a play-mate! If your baby is a girl, we may even become in-laws! Don't wait anymore!" Haha added on. 

Standing with the men and hearing their "encouragement" and birthday wishes, Ji Hyo was already blushing furiously, and she hoped that there was a hole in the ground for her to dive into, knowing that her cheeks are as red as tomatoes by now. 

"Gomawo Hyung, Haha-ya, Kwang Soo ya, Gary ya, and Ji Hyo ya for preparing this birthday party for me. I really appreciate your effort and hard work, but all of you know that getting married is a major decision in one's life. I have to think through it carefuly and be 100% certain before I take action. It's something that I still need time to consider about.", replied Jong Kook.

However, upon hearing his reply, Ji Hyo felt a sudden wave of disappointment and tears started to form in her eyes. Before anyone in the family noticed, she walked out into the balcony and leaned against the ledge as she looked out into the horizon. Ji Hyo has been dating Jong Kook for more than a year, since the time when they filmed the "Princess and Ondal Race" episode(episode 137 where Noh Sa-Yeon and UEE were guests).

Flashback to 2013....

After filming ended, Ji Hyo noticed that Jong Kook was holding onto his lower back, and his face was in a slight grimace even though he was trying his best to hide it. She followed him to his car, worried about the body of the strongest member of their family. To her horror, Jong Kook fell to the ground in pain once he knew that he was standing far enough from the other members and crew. Hurrying to his side, Ji Hyo asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital and he nodded slightly. She drove him to the hospital at lightning speed and never left his side until she had to wait in the waiting room as the doctor attended to him.

While she was waiting for him, a thousand thoughts were racing in her mind, she thought of the worst possible situation and prayed that nothing bad would happen to Jong Kook. She was even willing to take care of him if he would become paralyzed due to his recurring back problem which he had a minor surgery for a couple of years ago. She also thought of the possibility that he may not be able to cast in running man anymore, to which she immediately responded with, "Then I would also quit the show." As more of these scary thoughts ran through her head, she realized how much she cared for this man, and how much she was willing to sacrifice for him if anything happened to him. She remembered how they would meet up once a week on Sunday nights before Monday morning running man filming, and one of them would spend the night at the other's house after having dinner together. They would spend some time talking about random topics and updated each other about the happenings in the week while watching the most recent Running Man episode. The guest rooms in their houses seemed to be more like a second home for the other person, now that she thought of it. He never failed to make sure that she would wake up on time. The other running man members knew that they were close, so they never thought that the two of them only had a platonic relationship. 

Her train of thoughts were disrupted by the doctor who emerged from the examination room. The doctor told her that Jong Kook over-exerted his back during the day, but he will feel better after having some rest. Looking at the now-sleeping Jong Kook, something snapped in Ji Hyo's heart. She wanted to stay by the man's side no matter what happens from now onwards, and it dawns upon her that she has taken him to be more than a confidante. Deep in her heart, she knew that she loves him for who he is, and that she will be torn apart if anything bad were to happen to him. She sat on the chair beside his bed and studied his face. She noticed how peaceful he looks when he sleeps because his eyebrows were relaxed, and also traced the contour of his nose lightly without waking him up. Unknowingly, she fell asleep when her sleepiness got the better of her. 

A few hours later, Jong Kook woke up and realized that he was in the hospital, but what surprised him was the woman who fell asleep with her head on the edge of the bed. He looked at the ace, and his heart started to race. He always knew that he had feelings for her, and those feelings only got stronger as they spent more time together. He saw the dark circles under her eyes that were a result of her hectic schedule, which resulted in a lack lack of sleep for the actress. Jong Kook noticed that she seemed extremely tired during running man filming and was worried about how long more she could go without having enough rest. Since they became best friends, he felt uncomfortable whenever she was paired with a male guests that were more aesthetically inclined than he was. His initial crush for her had turned into genuine love and care for the ace. He never dared to ask her about her feelings, not only because he was afraid to lose her as a best friend but also because he was fearful of another failed relationship. He imagined getting married and starting a family with the ace, but he was afraid to risk everything that they had. She told him her secrets, and he told her his. The only person who knew of his feelings was actually his beloved dongsaeng, Lee Kwang Soo. Kwang Soo had noticed him stealing occasional glances at Ji Hyo both on and off set and questioned him about it. Not wanting to lie to Kwang Soo, he made sure that it was kept a secret between the two of them before telling Kwang Soo the truth. There were many things that were on his mind, but he knew that the one thing he wanted to do now was to confess to her because he was even more afraid of losing her to another man than of him getting hurt.

He gently removed a few strands of hair that were covering her face and looked at her lovingly. He started to her head but woke her up instead. Ji Hyo sat up immediately and saw that Jong Kook was awake. She started to ask him if his back felt okay and wanted to call the doctor to have a look at him to make sure but was stopped by the commander. 

"Oppa, why don't you let me call the doctor? You always say you are okay and look where you are at now. Stop being stubborn will you?", complained Ji Hyo. Jong Kook looked at her and chuckled because he was happy so see her so worried for him. 

"Ji Hyo yah, come sit here.", Jong Kook signalled to the bed. 

After she sat down, Jong Kook took her hand into his and she looked at him with a blank look on her face. Jong Kook said in a serious tone, "Ji Hyo yah, there is something that I want, no, need to talk to you about."

Looking at him with her eyes wide open, Ji Hyo wondered what he wanted to talk to her about that seemed to be so important. Staring into her big brown orbs, he was trying his best to find the right words to say. After what seemed like eternity, Jong Kook started talking, "Ji Hyo yah, Oppa... Oppa likes you, ani... Oppa loves you. You may not know this but my heart is going crazy whenever I am around you, I get always get angry whenever you are fangirling over another man besides me, and I just can't stop myself from falling for you since you became a permanent running man member. Ji Hyo yah, this may seem cheesy coming out of me, but I have to say this, I know that I don't have the best "qualifications" as compared to your suitors, but I promise to give you my heart, and I will do my best to make you the happiest woman alive. I am willing to be your listening ear, a shoulder for you to lean or to cry on, and of course be your best friend, the person you can always trust. So... will you be my girlfriend?"

Deep down inside, Ji Hyo feels extremely touched by his sudden confession. She was literally jumping up and down inside. However, what he saw was her trademark mong face... Not hearing a response from her, Jong Kook felt very disappointed, thinking that everything was his own wishful thinking. He then said, " Gwenchana-ya, just forget everyth..," but he was stopped halfway by a kiss from the ace. 

" Oppa, I like you too, in fact, I like you very very much. You did not know how worried I was when I saw you fall down to the ground just now, thinking that I may actually lose you forever. Let's embark on this new chapter in our lives together, hand in hand, and will you promise not to let go of my hand no matter what?", Ji Hyo asked after breaking the kiss. 

Without hesitating, Jong Kook responded, "Of course, anything you say my dear. Saranghae-yo, Ji Hyo yah."

End of Flashback....

This chapter is going to be broken into two parts. Please be patient! I will try to update ASAP, and leave comments or suggestions that you have, please and thank you!