8th December 2013

9th December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Morning, angel."

Hana looked up from her breakfast to smile at her dad. "Morning, dad." she greeted him and opened her arms when Kris approached her. Kris gathered his daughter in his hold, closing his eyes momentarily as he breathed in her scent before pecking the top of her head. "Happy birthday, Wu Hana." he whispered.

"Thank you, daddy."

 

8th December 2013

 

Sweet sixteen. 

I can't believe I'm turning 16! It feels just like yesterday when Dad first bought me my bike when I was five, and now I'm 16! Okay, maybe not yet cause I still have about five hours to 12 o'clock.

Anyways, I went through everything I wrote since I first got the book, and I realised... Wow, I've been through a lot with Mom and Dad in just a short span of years. I'm suddenly glad I wrote everything down. At least, I can remind myself of everything my parents had done for me - their sacrifices for me and Chen.

I have this goal in mind - I'm going to repay my parents for all their sacrifices for us. I'm not really a smart student but I will study hard to get into a good university (possibly the ones where Chanhyun will be applying) and take over Wu Enterprise when I'm ready. Chen can help me too. I will bring Mom and Dad all over the world for vacations and spend lots of quality family time with them. Talking about family time, I realised that despite Dad's crazy work schedule, he never fails to find time to spend with us.

 

"Hana, we're going to visit grandma and grandpa after this, okay?" Nina called as she stepped into the kitchen with her handbag, quickling exchanging a morning kiss with her husband after. 

"Are we all going?" she asked and Kris gave her a remorseful look while slowly chewing on his pancake. Immediately, Hana felt her mood drop and she sadly removed her gaze from his eyes to stare at the soggy cereal in her bowl.

"I'm sorry, angel." Kris spoke quietly as he reached over to gently squeeze her hand on the table. "Some things came up at the office, and I have to-"

"It's okay, dad. Really."

 

He never misses my birthday either. And Chen's. He's always around for our special day, saying that he wants to celebrate the day we were born together. I remember this once when Dad had an important conference to attend in Jeju on my birthday, and I found out that Mom had planned a barbeque with the Parks that night. I texted him and told him that I wished he would be able to join us, and I was surprised to see him walking into our backyard with a huge smile on his face and large present in his hand.

But I didn't care about his present then. All I cared was I had my Dad on my birthday.

 

"Are you okay, Hana?" Turning to her mother from the passenger seat, Hana slowly nodded her head. Nina frowned at the solemn look on her daughter's face and sighed as she focused on the road. "You have to forgive Dad, okay? He didn't want to be away from you on your birthday either. It's just that things have been a mess at the office and your dad's been working so hard to get things-"

"Mom, it's okay." Hana said, cutting her off with a small smile. "I'm not a kid anymore. I understand."

But deep down, she couldn't help but feel like wanting to cry.

 

There was also a time when Dad had to leave for Japan for a week, and so happens he won't be home on time for Chen's birthday. So instead, he surprised us all by taking us with him and we ended up celebrating Chen's birthday in Fukuoka. Chen was a bit sad when he first thought of eating his birthday cake without Dad so he kept reminded Mom to leave some for Dad when he comes back. He was so happy when we ended up eating cake together in the end. 

 

Hana smiled and showed nothing but pure joy at the attention she was receiving from her dear grandparents. Her grandmother had knitted a sweater for her for the winter while her grandfather had carved her a small wooden puppy, her most favourite animal . Nina watched with a small smile as Hana let out a delighted squeal at the sight of the cake her grandmother had baked for her after that. 

"Chen!" Hana scolded when her brother stole her piece of cake, much to the others' amusement. Chen simply poked out his tongue at her and laughed when she pouted. Nina smiled again when Chen stood next to Hana and gave her a kiss on her cheek, successfully making her smile.

"Happy birthday, noona!" he exclaimed loudly before taking something out from his pockets. Hana laughed when she saw the bracelet dangling in his hand. 

"You didn't even bother putting it in a box," she said and he shrugged. "Too much of a hassle." he said and fastened the bracelet around her left wrist. "Hope you liked it though."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter