8th December 2009

9th December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

8th December 2009

 

Dad bought me this journal months ago and only now I know what I'll use it for (since I'm so lazy to actually write an entry every day). I'll just use this to write a memory I have in my mind regarding my parents every year on the eve of my birthday. I don't know why but I just feel like I should.

Anyways, I'm turning twelve in about four hours and the one incident I have in my mind (that I doubt I'll forget) is the day when I first witnessed Mommy and Daddy fighting earlier this year. It was a nightmare for both me and ChenChen though I doubt ChenChen remembers it. I think. I had a piano class and usually, Mr. Jung would be my ride. But he was sick so Daddy had sent me to the academy before going off to the office. The lesson ended at six o'clock and I came down and realised that my ride hasn't arrived. So I waited, but eventually it got darker and I was left alone.

 

"Kris? What are you doing? I thought you were going to call Hana down for dinner." Kris turned to his wife by the door and glanced at his sleeping angel. 

"She... uh, fell asleep." he told her and closed the journal in his hand. His mind was still occupied with the last sentence his daughter had written. 

 

...I was left alone.

 

Nina frowned and sighed, not noticing her husband's grim expression. "Well, alright then. But aren't you coming down?" she asked. "Chen is waiting for us downstairs." she told him and he nodded.

Kris then got up from the bed and slightly bent down to kiss Hana's forehead. Nina turned off the switch by the door as Kris approached her and he gave her daughter one last look before closing the door behind him. Together, the husband and wife descend the stairs and Nina finally took notice of the book in his hand. "Honey, what's that?" she asked and Kris glanced down.

"Oh, it's the journal I bought for Hana a few years back." he told her as they approached the dining area. 

"Why do you have it?" she asked.

"She told me to read it."

"She did?"

Kris sighed softly and nodded. "Yeah." When Nina continued giving him a confused look, he shook his head with a soft smile. "It's a long story." He then approached his twelve years old son who was sitting at the table with a phone in his hand. "Hey buddy, no devices at the table." he said as he ruffled his hair before taking a seat at the end of the table.

Wu Chen gave his father an annoyed look before fixing his hair and turning around to look for his sister. "Where's noona?" he asked.

"She's asleep," his mother responded before giving him a look. "Did you get her anything for her birthday?" she asked.

"I did, but I'm not telling you." he replied cheekily, causing Kris to chuckle.

"Alright, eat up boys." Nina said and they began eating. 

She then noticed how Kris kept glancing at the empty chair on his right side where Hana would usually occupy and smiled softly to herself.

 

*

 

The whole house was quiet considering that the tenants were all asleep, except for the head of the house. Kris was inside his home office, looking through some contracts Luhan had prepared for him earlier that day. He sighed as he placed the folder onto the table and leaned back in his chair. He was tired, but somehow his mind was active that night causing him unable to close his eyes and sleep. His eyes darted around before it landed onto the journal he had placed at the edge of the table, and he quickly took it to resume reading the entry twelve years old Hana had written.

 

I remembered feeling really scared. There was this really weird guy standing at the corner and eventually, he began to approach me and I was so scared!

 

Kris frowned deeply at this. "What weird guy?" he asked himself. "No one told me about this." Furious, he began reading the next line.

 

But then, Ms Wong appeared and she was surprised to see me there. I glanced back at the guy and he was gone. Ms Wong took me upstairs again and called Daddy on his cell. She said he was in a meeting but he was still coming to fetch me. I felt relief, but at the same time I was upset. 'Did he forget about me?' I had thought and I grew more upset as I waited. When he eventually arrived, he looked relief to see me but at the same time, I could feel his anger. I didn't know why so I just kept quiet.

The whole ride home was a silent one. I didn't dare say anything cause Daddy looked really angry. I didn't like the silence because it was scary. Daddy was scary too. When we got home, Daddy told me to go straight to my room but I didn't listen. I followed him to the kitchen and I saw him yell at Mommy. She had a dark look on her face and she wasn't looking at Daddy. But he continued to yell at her and she cried. That was the first time I saw them fight, and it was the first time I t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter