The Purple Necklace

Nine Angels on Earth

 

Taeyeon? Her name is Taeyeon?

 

No matter how hard she tried remembering her name, she’s really unable to get a name out of it. What if her name is different from this? Isn’t it awkward to be called a name other than yours? It should be. Except it isn’t. She felt like this name is meant to be hers. Could her name really be Taeyeon? She knows it’s impossible though because this girl, Krystal, just thrown it out on her as if giving her a name is a very natural thing to do. 

 

“I am Taeyeon?” she inquired, feeling all heads in the room turn her way. 

 

“Until we know who you really are, yes.” Krystal replied. “That can even be your stage name. It really suits you well.” she added.

 

”Krys.. hold up. I haven’t agreed to this. We haven’t agreed to this.” Jessica reacted.

 

”Unnie, I’ve given you the explanation and I believe everyone understands it. We need her for the group’s standard. She will make it more intriguing, more talented, more beautiful.”

 

Jessica sighed internally. She agrees that the girl is beautiful and can sing even more beautifully but this sudden decision doesn’t make sense. This beautiful-kid-looking-girl-that-she-cannot-trust-yet seems very calm about all of these. Could it just be because she lost her memories or she’s acting impressively to hide her true identity? She could still be a spy, for heaven’s sake!

 

”You’re correct. She can sing, she’s beautiful..” she slowed down a bit knowing she just complimented the girl out loud. “But that doesn’t mean she can dance! We only have 1 month before the debut. How can we rush this all out?”

 

”I agree with Jessica on this one, Krystal. We’ve been practicing for three months. How can someone keep up with everything for just a month?” Seohyun inquired.

 

”We have anticipated this during the board meeting a while ago and everyone in the company - from the marketing team to the sound engineers - are aware that we will have a very busy month given the decision that we have finalized. Preparations are on the way and everyone should be ready by Monday. Everything was thought of except.” Krystal paused while she looked at everyone in the room. “Except for the additional member. She just saved us from a more pressing timeline now that she’s here.”

 

Jessica groaned as she showed her protest.

 

”Jessica unnie, I am the acting President of the company given your hiatus. I apologize but the decision in this matter is in my hands.” Krystal looked at her sister’s eye as she showed her dominance.

 

All the team members looked at their leader in one tensed minute. Jessica clenched her teeth due to displeasure but gave up nonetheless.

 

”If this fails, I don’t know what I’ll do with you Krystal Jung.”

 

————————————————————————————-

 

As all the other girls went home, Jessica is left with the stranger - or she should call her Taeyeon as mad Krystal named her - in her flat. She did not have any choice but to let the girl stay given her delicate state. She tried protesting and asked the other girls to take her to no avail. They all gave her silly reasons from having no extra room to still going somewhere. Jessica knows all of those are bull and the main reason why they left the stranger with her is so she can be more comfortable with her. She has obviously showed that she’s not too fond of the girl while the others were either okay with her or already fond of her. Seohyun is already captivated by the girl - she has been calling her unnie non-stop!

 

She looked at the girl who is sitting quietly by the sofa. Taeyeon is inspecting the necklace that Hyoyeon has given her before she left. She’s looking at it intently probably trying to figure out if this has any importance in her life?

 

”When are you gonna be done with that?” Jessica asked, voice still laced with coldness enough to make the other girl flinch.

 

“Oh. I- i don’t know if this mine?.” She said holding up the necklace to show Jessica.

 

”It’s obviously yours as it’s in the middle of the road where we found you.” Jessica rolled her eyes. 

 

“I guess.” Taeyeon murmured.

 

”Get your head over that necklace for now. I want my sleep. I’ll show you room and where you will be staying.” Jessica commanded.

 

Taeyeon abruptly stood up with the command. She does not know why but she doesn’t want to see more of Jessica’s anger, especially not towards her. 

 

Jessica opened the door next to her bedroom which happens to be the guestroom. She gave some directions about the bathroom and other things that the girl may need before she left for her room to rest.

 

She was about to close her eyes when she remembered that the other girl does not have any clothes with her. She sighed. Why is she my responsibility now?

 

Collecting some of her clothes, she knocked on the door of the guestroom only be ignored. Not being used to being ignored, Jessica barged in instead only to be surprised because the girl still hasn’t done any preparations to sleep. She’s still on the side of the bed looking intently at the purple necklace in her hand.

 

”T-taeyeon?” she started. The girl looked up and she can see the uncertainties in those eyes. She had to look away, not feeling comfortable with the sadness that the girl’s eyes are showing.

 

”W-why are you still not preparing for bed?” she’s actually not understanding why she’s stuttering however she felt like her sharp tongue is not needed right now. Not when she can feel the sadness being emitted by the other girl.

 

”I feel like this is important.” she showed her necklace to Jessica again. 

 

Jessica raised her eyebrow. 

 

“You said you don’t even know if that is yours?”

 

”I said that. But I feel like it’s important to me.”

 

”Why do you think so?” 

 

“I.. i don’t know.” Taeyeon said sadly. “I’m sorry. I’ll think about this later. Can I help you?” she recovered.

 

”Oh. Uhm- this is yours now. You have to change.” The girl looked at her clothes from head to toe and realized that her white dress is now colored brown at the edge due to some dirt. 

 

Taeyeon walked towards Jessica to get her clothes and she smiled widely while thanking the girl. “Thank you, uhm, Jessica.” she hesitated before continuing. “I can call you that, right?”

 

Jessica seemed surprise by her words but she nodded absentmindedly, humming a reply. “Hmmm.”

 

Jessica was about to go out of the room when she heard Taeyeon murmured quietly. “I’m sorry too Jessica.”

 

”What?”

 

”You.. are not happy with this. I’m sorry. I’ll work on my memory so I will no longer stay here. I’m sorry again.” Taeyeon stated quietly.

 

She froze momentarily not knowing what to say but Jessica knows she’s feeling too awkward at the moment that all she wants is to get out of the room. 

 

“Hmmm.” she hummed again, not knowing what to say. 

 

“Goodnight Taeyeon.” she felt like she has to say it somehow. The girl earned her greeting.

 

—————————————————————————————

 

The archangel kneeled down in front of the eight goddesses feeling nothing but nervousness filled him. He was the reason why the goddess of dream has falled to earth, this he knows. He has prepared himself to vanish if the goddesses wish for him too as he understands the gravity of his mistake but he can still feel the fear engulfed his whole being thinking of this possible punishment.

 

”Archangel, rose to your feet and answer my question.” The goddess of wisdom started. The archangel stood up right away but his head remained bowing to the divine entities infront of him. “We have figured that the goddess of dream - now in possession of the necklace of mission which was supposedly yours - is now entrusted a mission. Is this how it is?”

 

The angel gulped but nodded his head.

 

”This is true, your highness.”

 

”And if you may, what is her assigned mission?”

 

”She is to stay on earth, be a human, learn how to be a human, lose her memory, and teach someone the lesson of what love is. For a hundred days.” The angel explained.

 

”She would not only lose her goddess prowess but also her memory?” the goddess of joy asked, surprised.

 

”That is correct, your highness.”

 

”And why would that be, if I may ask?”

 

”Angels are not to ask any question for the mission they are assigned to, your highness. I am afraid I do not know the answer to your question.” he bowed his head even lower, afraid that he might have angered the goddesses with his insufficienc answer. 

 

The goddess of war sighed loudly, clearly disappointed with the angel’s statement.

 

”Their missions are randomly provided by the room of pensive memory at their right time. I’m afraid the angel is stating the truth, he does not have a way of knowing the reasons for these conditions.” The goddess of wisdom interjected, much to the angel’s relief. “Archangel, answer this question of mine. Who is the assigned human of the goddess of dream?”

 

For the first time that day, the archangel raised his head and met the goddess’ inquisitive gaze.

 

”A girl who has given up on love at a very young age due to her parents demise. A girl named Jessica Jung.”

 

 

——————————————————————————

 

How do you find this chapter? Thanks for the support everyone!