Begin Again

Begin Again

 

 

I realize I'm never good at making endings. By the way, this chapter is double long since I don't know where to cut off in between two so, two chapter combined and the story finally ended. Good bye, I wish you all would wish to see me around soon ^^!

 

"He's practically in Korea right now but it's a bad line and the signal is very weak so, we've been cut off a lot." The technical staff was explaining the situation with Mr. Bang and Yongguk.

Yongguk's father was delighted to see such a good sign but Yongguk wasn't, his expression was totally gloomy as he stared into the screen with burning eyes. He knew his father would finally find out Jieun's father, very soon.

What is she going to do? How is she supposed to continue living without her father? How disappointed must she get? How sad will she feel? Those question broke his heart totally.

"Keep close eyes of the signal, I will call Lieutenant Lee to help in arresting Song Seunghoon. Also, pay attention to Yongguk, he may ruin our plans." Mr. Bang said, as he watched Yongguk off.

"We're still going with the old plan?" His assistant asked.

Mr. Bang's eyes weren't decisive, he signed through his nose.

"If we try to have him quisle, will the sentence get lighter?"

"I don't think, he made too much money also the power underground, the number of drugs he had transferred will definitely get him a death sentence."

The old man heaved a deep sigh, he didn't say anything more and just walked away, heavily.

 

My son even gave up smoking after meeting his daughter, he'd been a heavy smoker but he got rid of it in just two days, and now I'm having to arrest him and may get him died..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jieun felt a bad omen growing up as she was thinking about her father. Things had been so suspicious after he sent such a big amount of money to her bank account, then he said he lost his phone, which would never happen to careful man like him, and then he said he would not come back to Korea for a while, telling her to be well-behaved while he was gone. When she asked when he would come back, there was no reply.

This only happened once when he started to build up his career once again in Macao, he left her for about 4 months and he came back exactly on time. This time she didn't know what to expect since she had no clue of time to wait. What was he doing exactly?

Also, Yongguk was nowhere to be seen, she called him once days ago but she got nothing back ever since, also the texts. She wondered what was happening.

 

"Ms. Jieun, have some fruit, you've been so pale lately!" Mrs. Kim placed a tray of fruit in front of Jieun.

"I can not eat it. I'm tired." She shook her head.

A silence fell in. Mrs. Kim was worried as hell, Jieun had never been like this, or at least she lived with this young lady long enough to know that Jieun didn't get down easily but this whole was so terrible. Jieun didn't eat, laugh, go out nor go to school.

"Mrs. Kim!" Jieun suddenly said, the old woman looked at her and before she could say anything, Jieun continued. "I have a very bad feeling about my father, like there'll be something really really horrible about him that is about to come up."

"What can it be? You're just thinking too much. Maybe his work is meeting with some troubles that he needs some time to solve. He said he would come back, then he will." Mrs. Kim tried to comfort but Jieun only shook her head.

Her eyes containing an indescribable sadness then she started to cry, cry hard.

"Everyone leaves, finally they will all leave me, do you see the way Yongguk never comes find me again?"

"Not Mr. Song, I believe he will never leave you, Ms. Jieun. He loves you very much, he won't be able to."

"Even my mother could leave me, she's the one to give birth to me but she could left that easily.."

Jieun didn't want to suspect her father at all, but she was so scared. It's been three weeks, usually her father would call her every week but recently. Also Yongguk, he himself was the one to say he couldn't stand being away from her for more than two days but.. Everything happening right now made her doubt although she didn't want to at all.

"Ms. Jieun, no matter I still want you to believe Mr. Song, I don't know about Mr. Bang but you should at least believe your father. Whatever he did, he's still a good person."

Jieun looked at Mrs. Kim, this woman surely knew how to comfort her every time, but not this time. Jieun shook her head at the older woman, then she left for her room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plan to arrest Song Seunghoon with giving him absolutely no way to flee was prepared carefully under the direction of the Head man of the largest police organization in Seoul, Bang Taehyun and an advisor from the government. In short, this plan had no room for failure, they were holding almost 100% of success.

With the internal information they got, Song Seunghoon would leave by the waterway to Philippine at 6pm next Monday and with everything they'd been preparing, they wanted the criminal would get caught in time, no mistake allowed.

 

Mr. Bang entered Yongguk's room finding him calmly reading book, for the last few weeks his son had stayed at home, not going for work nor meeting Jieun but only in his room, reading. Yongguk was acting all calm and stolid, but Mr. Bang knew deep down, the inner water of his soul was very rough. He acted like he was okay but he wasn't, Mr. Bang knew it.

"The day after tomorrow we will process to arrest Song Seunghoon, Song Jieun probably doesn't know this. I hope you will be by her side, you can choose whether to tell her about the place or not."

Yongguk turned another page, he did not reply.

As Mr. Bang closed the room, tears started to leave his eyes as if they were waiting to be streaming down.

So the day is coming.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Song Seunghoon knew he was followed by cops, he knew there were at least 20 police out there waiting for him. As he was about to get in Incheon port, his juniors sprinted to him informing about the appearance of the cops. He told his people to run away because they would all get caught, and the sentence for each would not be so light. All left, except just one young boy, who refused to leave.

"Junhong ah, why are you not leaving?" He gently asked, as police started to surround the alley he was hiding.

"I will open the pave for you, you should run away, at least to tell your daughter how much you love her."

Seunghoon laughed, actually he wasn't surprised that he would get caught. He just had to pay for what he did but the only thing he was encumbered with was Jieun, he wished to see her for the last time.

"We have no chance, Junhong ah. You should go quickly.."

Junhong suddenly held out two handguns, he nervously looked at his boss. These things were usually banned from their organization but he secretly prepared it for times like this. Seunghoon looked at the young boy.

"Where did you have this?"

"I will go first, you need to grab every chance to run.."

"Shut up, and run." Song Seunghoon didn't seem to go by the way the young boy Junhong was planning.

He did drugs smuggling, but he didn't use guns or kill people. This would be the last thing in the world he would want to touch, he didn't want his daughter to live under a shadow of a killer for the rest of her life, being the daughter of a drug dealer was already misery to her.

"How about me pretending to be your hostage? Then we both may have a way out." Junhong didn't give up. "Then if you can not get away, I will be able to. If you can't tell your last words to your daughter, I will do it for you."

 

It was 2am and the phone rang when Jieun was sleeping, she woke up immediately at the first ring to find it was a call from Yongguk. It's like something was merged with her body and soul at that time, her heart started picking up speed, she didn't know what to feel but more worried because it's been such a long time, and she had a feeling that this phone call wasn't simple. Her fingers trembled, she was shaking till the call got cancelled, a minute later she received a text, that was even more nerve-wracking.

 

Come to Incheon port, NOW! You need to meet your father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Song Seunghoon didn't know he had to do to this point when he was now pointing the gun at Junhong's temples, having the police around him start to become warier and warier. Some were trying to convince him to put the gun down, some were threating but they were all slowly approaching. He supposed they weren't really scared of what he was doing, he screamed at them, telling them to back off but they didn't, Junhong also felt so nervous, if the police kept being like this, his boss wouldn't have enough time. He looked around, sweat streaming down from his neck, temples and hands. Then to everyone's surprise, Junhong grabbed the gun on Seunghoon's hands, shooting restlessly at the police nearby.

Followed it were dozens of bullets coming out from the police's guns at him and Seunghoon, almost immediately the old man darted in to hug Junhong into his arms, trying to have the young boy dodge from those killing bullets.

"NO BOSS!" Junhong screamed.

The rain of bullets finally stopped when Junhong got one on the arm and Seunghoon got countless on the back. He slowly collapsed.

Suddenly.

"DADDY!"

A shrilling shaking voice got everyone's notice as they saw a little girl sprinting to the criminal, tears were all over her face as she got on her knees, hugging the bloody man and screaming.

"No Dad, why is there so much blood?"

The young girl cried her heart out trying to stop blood from coming out by her two small hands, her white dress started to get stained with blood, too.

"Ssong, how did you get here?" Mr. Song flickeringly said. His voice was getting weak.

Mr. Bang noticed Yongguk just walking away from seeing the sight, some of the police were about to go ahead and stop Jieun but he stopped them, simply shaking his head.

"Yongguk told me to come here and meet you." Jieun cried harder. "Somebody calls ambulance please!" She screamed her heart out, she didn't know where to touch her father when his body was covered with blood and dirt. She was scared to death, she could only cry and screamed for someone to call the ambulance. "My father's dying, somebody do something!"

"Calm down, Ssong. Calm down!" The old man tried to comfort his little girl. "I don't have much time left to live so listen up.." Blood came out from his eyes and mouth as well.

Jieun cried hard as she tried to wipe them all away. "Stop bleeding Dad, please stop bleeding!"

"Calm down, you're so noisy!"

"How can I, Dad? You're dying."

Mr. Song pulled Jieun into a hug, it took her a few minutes to somehow get better then he started talking.

"Take care of Junhong, that's the first thing I want you to do. Second, this is my fault, I deserve this so don't blame anyone, okay? I'm sorry for making you a daughter of a criminal. My lovely angel deserves more.." His voice cracked and unclear because blood kept coming out from his mouth.

Jieun started to get frozen when she realized Mr. Song's back was where the blood came from and she knew it would never stop bleeding, tears kept streaming down but she couldn't scream anymore, instead she just tried to wipe blood away soullessly.

The scene made everyone cry, especially Junhong, he kept blaming himself for causing all this until Seunghoon held one of his hand.

"Also, do not cut your mother off if she comes find you, you heard me? Treat her better than you do to me.."

"I can not do that, I can't forgive her. Please stop bleeding Dad, you scare me, please." Jieun hugged Seunghoon's neck.

At that moment she felt nothing but a broken heart.

"Please don't die, I still have so many things to tell you. How can I continue living without you? I may die, Dad." Jieun tried to make her words clear but they didn't come out right.

"Do you blame me, Ssong? You're so ashamed of me, aren't you? I'm sorry, angel. Daddy.."

Jieun gave her father a bloody kiss on the lips, like they always do..

"No, I don't feel ashamed of you, but I will blame you forever for not keeping your promise. You should never have told me you would come back when you never did." She said then burst out crying again.

A laugh was heard from the dying man.

"I'm not joking."

Everyone was shocked at Jieun, they didn't expect her to say that at all. 

"I know you're not.." Seunghoon coughed out blood. Jieun rubbed his chest trying to calm him down. "I think a trashy man like me has raised up such a strong angel. I'm sorry I can't cry, I'm too happy to cry."

"Please talk to me, don't stay silent. Ambulance is coming, you're going to be fine. Don't die, Dad. I can not live without you!"

Some police started to leave when they couldn't stand the situation. Only Mr. Bang stayed, his facial expression was gloomy.

"Ssong do you remember the summer when you were 7 and we went to Hawaii without your mother knowing? You lost a tooth there, you looked so funny.."

"Dad in the hotel you got your pants burnt, too. And you did smell like grilled meat and.."

Jieun wanted to talk more, a lot more but as she looked down, her father was closing his eyes and she swore that she saw him smiling as he breathed for the last time. Jieun quietly wept, she hugged his neck as her voice couldn't be heard anymore.. 

 

"I love you so much Dad, more than I love myself. I will take care of Junhong, I will not blame anyone, I will not cry as well, and I will never stop missing you, loving you, cherishing you and forever proud of being your daughter."

 

At that moment, Yongguk had gone very far away. Nobody knows, even himself.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Jieun and Junhong talked so much after Mr. Song passed away, they shared lots of tears and hugs together but mostly, Junhong was happy since the police he shot wearing a bulletproof vest and he decided to let it go, not going to get the young boy to court and everyone agreed to keep it as a secret. There were some people when walking past Jieun, who was sitting at the back of the opened car, they stopped to give her a hug although she didn't feel anything more than just thankful.

Mr. Bang approached Jieun as the last person, Junhong and Jieun looked at each other.

"Hi young lady, I'm Bang Taehyun, the chief of this campaign."

Jieun immediately figured out what campaign he was talking about, the campaign of arresting her father. It would be a lie saying that she didn't feel anything, she was actually raging but just didn't show it.

"Also, I'm Bang Yongguk's father."

Her facial expression oddly didn't change at all. She could tell from the similarities of their faces, too bad she didn't meet him in a better situation.

"You can stay quiet but I have a few things to say to you.."

"If you're about to aplogize, then don't, I don't blame you, my father doesn't want me to and he will hate it so you don't have to feel guilty." Tears fell as Jieun said those words but she was quick to wipe it all away.

Mr. Bang didn't know what to say after that, he surely underestimated this girl. She was stronger than she looked although her eyes screamed eternal agony.

"And maybe I won't be able to say this so please tell Yongguk that I'm sorry, tell him not to feel burden of me because I am a daughter of a criminal, I'm sorry if it humiliates you, too." Jieun bowed her head low.

"I hate transferring words, go tell him by yourself." Mr. Bang tapped on Jieun's shoulder before leaving. His expression was mixed and hard to tell.

"Who's Bang Yongguk, noona?" Junhong asked.

It took Jieun another period of silence. Who's Bang Yongguk? She suddenly didn't know what to reply. Who was he?

"A very good man." She shortly replied.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

3 Years Later

 

"How is the camping? Are you having fun?" Jieun was going up the stairs as she was talking with Junhong on the phone.

Her little boy was now at the camping he had always dreamt of going to, and hearing his exciting voice made a smile appear on her face.

"Really really fun, I'm sorry for using your money but I will give it back later. I love you, noona."

"You know you have to give me back in double, don't you?" Jieun adjusted the box in her arms.

"I will give you all of my incomes, until I get married. Oh, noona, I've got to go now, we have to prepare for our firework party, call you later!"

Jieun put the phone back to her jeans pocket. She wondered how she would become if she didn't have this kid.

After her father passed away, she gave all of her money to a charity for the disabled under his name, she only kept the money from selling the house and her car to continue with her live. Not so struggling, although everything was no longer the same without her usual things and most of all, her father.

Junhong had been her moodmaker ever since, she knew deep down he was hurt to not have her father as well but he was strong enough to carry all of her worries. She learnt that her father had helped his parents in a car accident although they were like the worst enemies of each other, too bad Junhong's parents didn't make it so her father adopted him.

"I will protect noona the same way your father used to do to me." Said that kid one night.

Jieun couldn't ask for more, Junhong was such a blessed gift that her father gave her. She got over her father's death very quickly, it was the only way for him to continue smiling somewhere in this world, she believed in it.

As Jieun was walking along the hall with such a heavy box on the hand, she caught a familiar figure standing in the end of it, back facing her. She accidentally dropped the box and that person turned around, a big shock for her as she saw Yongguk, who was now looking at her face to face. He was in his casual clothes like the first time they met each other, simply but great, he didn't shave and the beard was all around his mouth and those familiar white sneakers. Jieun was so happy to see him that she almost jumped but then she was held back, she suddenly felt shameful of her.

Why did she even feel happy? He might be not here for her even. Who is she? The daughter of a criminal, and a son of a police like him.. Jieun's heart was squeezed as she thought about that part. She was crazily happy to see him, maybe that was enough.

Jieun lifted up the box, pretended to not see anyone as she triedto approached her apartment, which was very near to him right now. Her heart sped up with every step she took, she tried not to look at him.

"Song Jieun.."

That deep voice, in many years after many tears, was calling for her once again. Jieun felt like she forgot how to breathe at the time when she could sense him very near to her.

"I found you, finally."

Jieun didn't reply, she briefly looked at him then trying to get in the house.

"Can we talk for a while?" He continued, trying to find her eyes but she had her head down all the time.

She shook. "I'm very busy, sorry."

As she was about to turn away, he held her back.

"You have no work today, you were just going to buy dinner, again?" This time she turned to look at him, weirdly. "Don't ask me why, that's my secret." His eyes were sparkle with a gentle smile.

"Why are you here? After three consecutive years, what are you doing here?"

Yongguk was shocked to see Jieun's teary eyes. He missed her like crazy, he knew where she lived all these years, he watched her everyday from recovering from her father's death to stopping going to the university, working at a caféteria and raising up a young boy named Choi Junhong. He'd witnessed how she was struggling but he couldn't bring himself to face her. He couldn't protect her, that's why.

"If you have nothing to say, then excuse me!" Jieun bowed at Yongguk.

She never did.

Before she could turn away from him, he held her back, pushing her to the wall and bending down to kiss her roughly only the lips. He still had the same way of kissing her, breath-taking and y. But Jieun didn't buy his kiss this time, she tried her best to push him away as she hit him on the chest, she even bit his lips to the point that it bled but he didn't stop. Those only made him go rougher on the kiss. Then to Jieun's surprise, she saw Yongguk's tears falling our from his closing eyes onto her lips, salty. The kiss was still being strongly processed.

Jieun didn't understand anything, what was he crying for? And why?

Until Yongguk let go of Jieun, she was almost out of breath like every time he would kiss her.

She finally looked at him, she wiped . Her eyes were blaming him as she showed a little anger. She didn't expect or even want this. For a moment Jieun couldn't hold herself, she slapped Yongguk.

"Do not joke on me!"

"Joke? That kiss was full of tears and blood and you said it was my joke?" Yongguk wiped a drop of blood on his mouth off. "Do you know how many courage did I have to gather to bring myself to you? I missed you very much, it's not a joke."

"Oh, then I'm sorry, you know my life is full of leaving people. I'm sorry I don't know that you leaving me three years ago is my fault, I didn't know what to do. I didn't know that, I'm sorry now are you satisfied?"

Jieun's eyes started to shed tears but she quickly wiped them away, like she always does.

Yongguk tried to search for Jieun's hands but she snatched it away but he held it again, this time he didn't let go of it. "Because I just couldn't find confidence and strength to face you again after what I did to you, my father arrested your father and killed him right in front of your eyes. I was so useless that I could do nothing but watch, I only wanted to kill myself seeing you cry. I don't know how to face you.."

Jieun stayed silent, staring at Yongguk. Her feelings was a mess right now.

"I didn't intend to meet you, Jieun. I planned not to meet you ever again because you seem so happy living a life without me, I think it's for the better but I miss you every single day, I shamelessly came here just to tell you I missed you. Sorry for not being there three years ago."

"You made me think that you were ashamed of me and my father.." Her voice was soft and low, but her eyes were decisive.

"The fact is I wasn't. Jieun, I will always come find you every day from now, until you forgive me." He held her shoulder, his indescribable sadness broke her heart into pieces.

She still loved him so much, but the inferiority she felt when she faced him left her with no choice but to avoid him.

"You're wrong, I never blame you, but you also pointed it out, I'm a criminal's daughter, you're the son of a police. My reputation basically doesn't fit yours and I feel ashamed of it. Actually right in the first place I didn't suit you, I.."

Another kiss was placed on Jieun's mouth before she could finish her words, Jieun grabbed Yongguk's shirt tightly as she tried stop it. This only made her miss and love him even more, which wouldn't be good for her fragile heart.

Her lips were roughly chewed by his teeth and his hands made its way to her waist, pulling her close. Jieun started to cry as Yongguk let go of her for a while.

Yongguk pushed the opened door and got them both inside then closed it, he pressed her on the wall, looking straight into her eyes.

"Don't cry, you're so ugly when you cry."

"Please don't do this, don't do this to me.."

That was the first time Jieun being weak in front of Yongguk and he didn't like it at all, he felt like the worst person ever for making the girl he loves the most cry.

"Do what?"

"Acting like we have a chance.."

"That makes no sense, we never even broke up." He raised his eyebrows.

Jieun did not reply, she tried to push Yongguk away but he didn't even budge.

"I'm not going to let go of a woman who gives me everything she has, loves me unconditionally and even makes me cry.  Nobody ever made me cry. Song Jieun, do you need me to say more cheesy things?"

He stared at her, her facial expression was totally complicated although she did not say anything. Cute.

That was the first time ever, Yongguk felt so sure of holding a woman, he wasn't three years ago actually but this time, he was more than determined to hold back this woman.

"I'll always be around, until you tell me you need me once again, like the first time you said on my bed, I was really happy at that time." He left a kiss on her lips before leaving.

Jieun sat down on the wall when her legs totally gave up. Should she keep him with her? Her heart says yes but her mind says no. But knowing that three years ago he left not because he felt ashamed of her made her heart flutter, Jieun buried her head into her knees.

"Well, Jieun yah, when I said I would always be around, I would be literally around." Yongguk's voice emitted behind Jieun's back.

She immediately stood up. This insane freak. She thought.

"Can you let me in and be around you? It's cold out here, very cold."

Jieun laughed, she guessed she had her decision already. This man, she couldn't let him go.

Before he could say anything, she dashed to hug him, snuggled her body into his, feeling his warmth and his loving arms around her..

 

 

Baby, do you know when my father saw you talking with your father that night, what did he think? -He thought you were crazy.

But that is not what makes him determined to get you as his daughter-in-law, the moment when you said you didn't want to be my burden and told him not to worry, he said he really fell in love with you, like a father, he was touched with the way you were afraid of making his son agonize although the one to get hurt was you, and he claimed that if I couldn't get you back, I should leave the house, too.

 

 

The end.