The Water is Rough

Begin Again

Song Seunghoon, or more well-known as Boss Song in the underground industry, had been thinking of giving up living in this world, in other words, he planned to quit being a drug dealer. The money he had made for the past years was enough for him and Jieun to live till the end of their lives without any worries, the fact was, he didn't run any comic book factory, he went oversea to do the drugs transportation from this country to another country. He had the more spider web net of relationships than any other drug dealers in Korea and also, Southest Asia; therefore, he was extremely rich. Even Jieun didn't know how rich her father was.

However, coming to this point of his life, he wanted to rest. He wanted to spend more time with his daughter and be a father that she would always be proud of and count on. Never ever did he want his angel to know about the dirty things he had been doing, so he wanted this to be the last. Jieun had grown up with a great loss in the heart and soul that her mother left, for the past few years he only could offset it with his money, and his lacking responsibility as a father really made him regret and feel sorry for her a lot.

Recently, Jieun started dating Yongguk, a nice boy and wonderful future police man. He was so glad about that, Yongguk is a good man, he could feel how happy his little girl was everytime she talked about her man. It's more than enough, he couldn't demand more. Thinking that after quitting being a gangster, he came back to Korea, staying at home with his daughter for the rest of his life, cooking for her, sharing things with her, then the last thing, he would hold her hand, took her to the church and placed it on the hand of the man she truly loved. That was happiness and Song Seunghoon was hunting for it.

"1 month, at least one month, Daddy will give up on everything, Ssong ah."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It'd been 3 months since Jieun and Yongguk dated, things got much better than Jieun thought. He wasn't the type of boyfriend who could pick her up after school everyday, his job didn't allow him to but their lives were sweet, he was a caring, thoughtful and gentle boyfriend, he took care of her, even her car or her hair, he would always send texts to make sure that she was okay, if she was eating or sleeping well. In contrast, Jieun was a realistic and positive girl, sometimes when Yongguk's job exhausted him way too much, she was always a helpful person who would have all the ways to make him feel better.

They were happy together, there were many things happening between them but they liked to keep some in secret that kept them close to each other.

Jieun never told Yongguk, but she loved him, no matter how much force or kisses he used to have her say those three words, she never told. Yongguk was addicted to Jieun, the limit of him being away from her was two days, he would miss her to death if there were more than two days that he couldn't see her.

Today was an example.

Yongguk had a mission out of Seoul, usually Seoul police wouldn't interfere with other provinces' business but they asked for a big number of supporting police to dissolve a brothel in Cheongju. Jieun was extremely worried since they had to use guns and other weapons but all she could do was wait for him to call, and pray.

"How was it? Did you succeed?" She replied the call immediately after it rang for the first time.

Yongguk was chuckling.

"Yes." Jieun heard him breathing hard.

"Are you okay? Not injured?"

"I miss you, I'll come by tonight."

"Okay great, be careful!"

He kissed her through the phone and they ended.

 

Yongguk was resting after accomplishing the mission, somebody called him from the upstairs.

"Bang Yongguk, Headmaster is calling you, this is urgent!"

He was taken by surprised, his father wanted to meet him?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yongguk could feel a certain tense that was radiate all over the room as he entered the room and sat down. His father had always been a serious, strict man but what his expression was telling him right now was something even scarier.

"Hi father!"

No response as expected, the old man had his hands covering his mouth in a posture of reflections. He stared deeply at his son giving him no air to breathe and no place to hide. Yongguk didn't like this atmosphere much.

"I heard you had something to tell me." He cautiously said.

Another intense silence broke out before the old man finally voicing up.

"I heard you're dating a young girl, aren't you? Tell me about her family." His voice was oddly unchanged from the dead-depth tone, his voice sounded exactly like Yongguk's.

Yongguk felt like a big concern which was as heavy as a moutain was just lifted away from his shoulders. For the past few years Yongguk's love life was quite poor, his father became directive and concerned about his love life since he wanted his son to soon think of marriage and stuff, no more playing around.

"You know that? Well yeah, I'm recently dating a university student, she's Song Jieun, you will like her."

He had confidence in Jieun, that his father wouldn't be able to dislike an angel like her. Certainly, Song Jieun was the best choice of a girlfriend that Bang Yongguk had ever made, no doubt.

"What about her family?" Mr. Bang's voice didn't even change a bit, as if they had yet to go into the main point.

"Well, her mother left when she was 11, she hated talking about her mother so.. And her father, a great businessman, he's busy in abroad so much that he only spends one or two days with her every month. Oh, he owns a comic book factory in Macao. Huge, right?"

Once again, they both fell into dead silence. Yongguk didn't get what was happening yet his father was refusing to tell him. The peace of his mind didn't last long, he guessed.

"Come here, son. I need to show you something. Be prepared and stay calm!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

That night Yongguk didn't come as he promised, more than waiting and expecting, Jieun was worried. She didn't know if he was having some sudden mission or not so she didn't dare to call. She paced back and forth in her room holding her phone and praying for him to be okay, that he would call her as soon as possible. It wasn't until 3am that she started to sleep, in struggling.

Meanwhile, there was another person who was spending a sleepless night as well. Yongguk had been sitting in that like forever, his mind and heart went through quite a string of shocks, he felt concussed, shocked, appalled and above of all, disappointing. This was an unbelievable yet it was the truth which, if he could, he would refuse to accept it forever. He read over and over again the files his father gave him, he was surprised that he was able to stay this calm to not tear it up, hit the wall with his own hands, scream out loud that this was all a dream and was unreal. He was surprised that he could bring himself to read every single word in the file, watch carefully every picture to check if there was any mistakes. Sadly, there was none.

There was no tears, his heart broke into pieces yet he didn't cry. What did he become so suddenly he was wondering? But then, he knew he needed to face the truth.

Song Jieun's father is a national wanted criminal.

Yongguk never wanted to read or think of those words ever again, he bitterly accepted it. There was surely no relevant denial in the file that was sent from the team of the government, it was the truth, Jieun's father was a drug dealer and he was facing a death sentence if he ever got caught.

At that moment he thought of Jieun more.

His father supposed that she didn't know anything about this, just like him, she believed that his father was a busy man who had to work oversea months to months. Maybe in her worst dream, she would never dream of her dear father being a dangerous criminal. That thought broke Yongguk's totally, as much as Jieun believed and loved Mr. Song, how could she handle once she found out about the truth? How would she become? How would he face her again when he was the person who would ruin her life totally and his father was the one to get her father in jail?

How about them? He wasn't confident that he would have enough courage to continue being with her after this, totally not.

More than thousand times of the night, he wanted to call her. She must be waiting for him right now but he didn't call, for the first time ever, he wanted to avoid her.

"Try making some deal with her, telling her that we need him to come out under light and confess so that he can have the clemency at the court."

Yongguk tried to fade those flying words away from his mind because he would never tell his girlfriend to push her father into a dead trap, although he absolutely had no way to help him.

"Or if you don't want her to know, we can use her as a target to get him to the light."

 

"Jieun yah.." He cried as her name was slipped out of his lips.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Boss, please hurry. Cops are coming after us!"

Mr. Song was sweating, he tried to press the very last number in the ATM booth, his people were rushing him but he was calm enough to finish it before really going.

He didn't expect this to come at all, he was quite careful with the shipment prepared for over 3 months yet police managed to get in and catch his people right at their spot. For years, Korean police gave up on trying to arrest him because he was too careful. He thought he was always careful but not..

All he could think of was his little girl, Song Jieun. Although he was now having to run away from getting caught, he was delighted thinking about his daughter sinking in her good sleeps with every best dreams in the world. As long as she never knew of this, 

 

That night Mr. Song didn't get caught..

Jieun was struggling to sleep..

Yongguk wasn't sleeping at all..

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 


My Jieun finally comes back. Go hear her new song, everyone. It's definitely going to be your new jam. And I ing hate Dispatch for spreading false rumours.

By the way, I hope to see some feedbacks on this new chapter.