Encounter IV

Again

For the next few days, Hee Ra would engage me in a conversation whenever she goes to the shop. To avoid any wasted time, she would also help in serving the customers; my friends often tease me that instead of having a girlfriend, I recruited another waitress. During my class hours, she would stay to replace me down to ten. Then, after classes, I would find her and Luhan talking outside, waiting for me. And it's always me who would walk her home.

"Hey, you okay?" Luhan noticed me staring nowhere after serving another customer.

"Yeah, it's just that time flies so fast. Before, she is just one of our daily customers, now; she's already one of us. Isn't it strange?" I pointed out looking at her.

He stood beside me, leaning on the counter, "Are you making your move now or you're just giving her too much time adjusting?" he said looking at her serving another customer.

"I don't want to rush things," I smiled but soon frowned when I saw Soo Ra getting inside the cafe. She immediately walked toward us. She was followed by Hee Ra, who's holding a tray, done serving her customer. Luhan ordered a new set of uniform for her. A black dress with a small billowing skirt. Her white apron is ruffled, tied around her waist. She looks like one of those anime characters in the series 'Maid Sama.'!

"Xiumin? Are you listening?" Soo Ra snapped me back to reality.

I didn't hear her talking. "What's that again?" I looked at Soo Ra who is frowning.

"I said can you accompany me on a movie tonight? I've got no one to go with. My friends had their own dates and it feels so lonely going out without someone with you. I was planning to ask Jin but he is hosting a party tonight and Seungri can't come with me because he is busy on his soccer practice .blah..." she continued her long list of reasons enumerating every possible guy at school with those girly gestures.

"Luhan?" Hee Ra interrupted her speech. The three of us turned to look at her, standing a little behind Soo Ra. She eyed Hee Ra from head to toe.

"Is she your girlfriend Luhan? Nice catch," she remarked.

"Actually, she's Xiumin's girl," he replied.

Soo Ra gave an obvious fake shocked expression. "What? But, Xiumin, you said that I am just the girl for you!" I noticed the sudden change in Hee Ra's expression.

"Look here Soo Ra, if you don't want anything or don't want to order anything, can you please excuse us? If you just came here to tell Xiumin that well-rehearsed speech full of excuses then spare us. We still have more customers to be served. You're not the only person inside the cafe. If you don't have any more business to talk with Xiumin, can you please go?" Luhan finished with his hand pointing to the door.

 "How dare you!" Soo Ra shrieked and stomped her feet away, after she left, each of us exchanged looks followed by laughter.

 "I never thought you can be that harsh," Hee Ra stated wiping the tears from her eyes.

"That's just what she needs. She's the reason why Xiumin often comes here late," Luhan replied still laughing.

Later that night, on our way home I asked Hee Ra again about her betrothal. "You mentioned before that you have been engaged right?"

She bowed her head, "Yeah."

"Then what happened?"

"Actually," she sighed, "I was about to get married.

I stopped dead on my tracks, "MARRIED? What happened? Why aren't you wearing any wedding ring?"

"Because I ran away on the very day of the wedding."

There was silence. Both of us stopped on our tracks.

"Runaway bride?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, sort of." She replied going on her way.

I followed her on the way, "But why?" I asked again.

"Because I don't know who is the groom. I don't know anything about him, not even his name. I simply don't love him," she calmly replied.

"You never got the chance to know him?"

"Yes, because I never want to. I never attended any family dinner involving his family or about our betrothal. I am not in favor of it. Whenever my parents told me about dinner with them, I would run away from home." She wiped the fallen tears on her face.

"I'm sorry to open up that topic," I apologized handing her my hanky.

"It's ok," she sniffed receiving it.

"So what happened after the wedding?" I probed.

"For two months, I stayed anywhere. Good to know that some friends are willing to help me. But then, when I decided to come back home, father scolded me to the point that he hit me. He was so angered by my disgraceful act. I deserve it too. I have stained our family's name. After that incident, father never did talk to me. It was only my mother who would ask me about school; about everything that had happens to me every day. That was two years ago, and up to now I can't find anything to do to make him talk to me, just for once..." With that, she cried burying her face on her hands totally stopping.

I never thought that her life is that sad. I am left with no choice but to give her a hug. Sooner, she relaxed and parted to wipe her tear stained face. She gave a laugh seeing the wet part on my shoulder where she cried. "I'm sorry," she apologized.

 "It's fine with me," I smiled back, "You can always rely on it whenever you need it," I pointed out.

She smiled, "Thank you."

We continued on our way. When I saw her safe inside their house, I immediately left too.

When I got home, Mom is on her way down the stairs holding my treasured black box. "Aren't you going to throw this?"

I sprang on my feet, grabbing it away from her, "Mom! No trespassing please!" I begged holding the box securely.

"But, baby! You have been keeping that for years!" she remarked.

 "Ma, this is the only treasure you and Dad left for me to keep," I replied going up to my room.

I quickly locked the door of my room when I got in. I put down my bag and sat on the lone sofa on my room. I opened the box and kept it open on my bedside.