Secrets

Relapse

    About an hour passed and more people started showing up. I hadn't noticed who came and who didn't. I was too focused on Nari all alone in the corner, not saying a word to anyone. Tao was trying to talk to her a few times, but people kept coming up to him and leading him away. The rest of the boys were all at the party except for Kris. Nobody knew where he was, and they all acted like they didn't want to know. It was almost as if they didn't care.

    Despite the grief I had in my heart, I had to put on a happy face. It was for Yixing's sake. I didn't want him to ever see me sad or upset. He always wanted me to be happy after all. He was constantly asking me what was wrong, but I always replied that I was fine. He deserved to have a perfect homecoming party and I didn't want my problems to affect it whatsoever.

    I felt the need to keep looking at the door every few minutes or so, expecting Kris to walk in any second even though I knew he would never come. The last person that even showed up was Baekhyun. He never bothered to explain to me why he was so late. In fact, when he came through the door he seemed very odd. He was usually bright and cheerful or making a joke. But this time it was different. Baekhyun just walked in and didn't talk to anyone, not even Chanyeol. He had the weirdest expression on his face, almost like he was hiding something. I tried to ignore it, but it was too hard. He definitely wasn't acting like himself.

    While he was in the living room with no one else around, I decided to sit down and try to talk with him. I might as well. As soon as I sat down next to him on the sofa, he turned his head away from me. "Baekhyun-ah... Just talk to me. I want to know what's bothering you."

    "No," he finally said. I was so relieved that he actually said something.

    "But I care about you. Is there anything I can do to help?" I looked at him with concern, and then he turned to face me.

    He was wearing a mask over his mouth, and took it off to show me the reason why he was acting so strangely. He had a huge, nasty bruise on his chin. It was close to his lip, which had swelled up. Somebody had hurt him.

    I gasped in reaction to his bruise, and then I inspected it carefully. "That's not good at all! You should see a doctor!"

    "No I can't do that!" He said quickly after he covered it back up with his mask. "You're lucky I even showed you. I don't want anyone else knowing about it."

    "At least tell me what happened," I sighed.

    "They found out." He whispered.

    "Who found out? What are you talking about?"

    Suddenly, Nari walked in and Baekhyun got up from the sofa. "ByunByun!" She said, "Am I glad to see you!" Weird. I didn't think she would change emotions so fast.

    "Nari-yah!!" Baekhyun said excitedly before he took his phone out of his pocket to check a message he probably received. "Heol... Sorry I can't stay and chat, something came up." Then he just left.

    "What's the matter with him?" Nari asked me as she sat down next to me in place of Baekhyun.

    "I don't think he wants to talk about it." I replied.

    "Oh okay," she shrugged. I guess she wasn't going to worry about him that much. Probably because there was something else on her mind that was bothering her. I had a feeling that I knew what it was.

    "So," I started, "talk to me please. I know there's something bugging you."

    "Well," she said with a worried look, "It's about Yifan."

    I knew it. "Tell me about it."

    "It all started a week before he went missing. We went out to dinner to celebrate our 1 year anniversary of being together. Everything was going well. He seemed happy that EXO was making a comeback. He wouldn't stop talking about it. But then when we started to talk about us, he got up from the table and...."

    "And...?" I tilted my head.

    She took a deep breath, "He asked me to marry him."

     I'll admit I was taken aback by this news. My face lit up when I realized it was actually good news. "So what did you say to him?"

    "I kind of said yes..." She said quietly as she looked down at the ground.

    "Kind of..?"

    "Well I hesitated at first because I didn't expect it. I didn't think he wanted to marry me right away. It's like he wants to start out our lives already. We haven't even discussed marriage before. Not once. I wanted to say yes, but I was nervous. I thought of too many things at once. My mind was all in a jumble."

     "So what did you say?"

     "I said 'I guess so'."

     I raised an eyebrow. "Really???"

    "What else was I supposed to do? He was moving way too fast for me. And now he probably thinks that he doesn't want to marry me.That's probably the main reason he's missing."

    I put my hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "I'm sure it's much more than that. He probably needed some time to think everything through. Don't worry about it too much."

    She didn't look straight at me, but just hugged me and cried, "I just miss him so much. Why won't he call? He hasn't talked to me. I want to know where he is so I can tell him I still love him. I don't want him to be hurt."

    Yixing rolled into the room in his wheelchair. "Is everything okay in here?" He asked.

    Nari let go of me and wiped her tears from her eyes. "Everything's fine," I assured him, "Let's go start noraebang."

    I quickly walked over to him and grabbed the wheelchair to take him into the next room, but he pulled my hands away firmly. "Everything is not fine. Look at Nari. She's crying!" He rolled his wheelchair over to the couch. "Nari-yah, is there anything I can do for you?"

    More tears flowed down her cheeks, "Unless you can somehow magically bring Yifan back, then there's nothing you can do."

    He looked like he was about to cry too. This was exactly what I was afraid of. I knew if Yixing saw Nari upset, he would feel for her. He always did this. He cares too much about everyone, and he always wants to help them in any way possible. I didn't want him stressing himself out because he already had enough to deal with. I had to do something about it, and fast.

    "You know what, Nari?" I jumped in. "How about you join us in noraebang?"

    "But you know I can't sing," she sniffed.

    "I don't care!" I stated, "Besides, it's not about being good at singing. It's about fun! Come on, unnie. You're going to have fun and like it!"

    I grabbed her by the arms and pulled her off the couch, all the while she was shaking her head and saying, "No come on I don't wanna!" But still laughing because she knew we cared about her and wanted her to have a good time anyway.