The Road Ahead of Us

Relapse

(Perspective #1)
   We finally arrived at the boys' dorm, where we were going to have the party later on. Yixing thought it was unnecessary to throw a party just for the sake of him, but of course that was very typical of him. He was always so modest.


   While Luhan and I set up things in the den and tried out best to clean up, Chen and Xiumin arrived with food for the night. I told them I wanted it to be simple, like typical party food. It would have taken too long to prepare anything ourselves since we planned on quite a few people coming. 


   "So, what's on the menu?" I asked after putting the vacuum away.


   Xiumin grinned, "Pizza!"


   I laughed in relief, "Okay awesome. I hope you got enough for all of us."


    "Well," Chen interrupted, "We got chicken too. And some chips and salsa. That should be enough right? We did get a lot."


   "I sure hope so." I replied. 


   "How many people are coming?" Xiumin asked.


  "Okay well there's you guys," then I began to count in my head while saying names out loud, "And there's Tao, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Jongin, Joonmyun, Sehun..."


   "And Kris?" Chen added. He looked a little worried.


   My heart stopped for a moment. "Kris....?" I looked down at the floor and sighed. "I... I don't know," I said silently and walked past them and up the stairs.


   I looked behind me while I was in the hall and thankfully nobody followed me. Then I heard something coming from Yixing's room. I slowly opened the door and saw him sitting there in his wheelchair, turned to the window. There was ginger incense burning on the windowsill. He seemed to be humming something. It was almost like a melody, or an ohm. Perhaps he was meditating. I didn't want to interrupt him, so I just stood there and watched him.


   "They asked you about Kris again didn't they?" Yixing said quietly without moving an inch. I was surprised he broke from his meditation to talk to me. And he even knew why I came up.


   "Yes," I answered.


   He turned his head slightly and put his hand out, "Come here."


   I walked over to him and took his hand. He pulled me down slightly so he could look me in the eyes. My heart was trembling. "Now look outside."


   I faced toward the window and looked outside. Most of it was an empty parking lot. "What am I supposed to be looking at?"


   "Nothing," he responded, "Nothing at all."


   "I don't get it."


   He smirked, "Okay. Now close your eyes."


   "What?" I was confused. What was he up to?


   "Come on, please."


   "Oh, alright." I said as I closed my eyes.


   "Now," he continued, "When you open your eyes, this time, I want you to see outside instead of look outside."


   "See instead of look? But I don't-"


   "Open your eyes now."


   I opened my eyes and saw the same thing I did as before. "It's the same." I told him.


   "That's because you're not doing it right. You have to see."


   I shrugged, "But I do see. It's the same thing."


   He shook his head, "Looking and seeing are different. When you look outside there's an empty parking lot right? Basically nothing. You have to see what's outside. See the tire tracks left by every car that has come and gone. There are a few bumps and a lot of pebbles on the pavement. A lot has happened there if you can really see it, but it's still strong and remains unchanged. The ground beneath it supports it so it doesn't concave. That's what's there if you can see it."


   "Oh," was all I said, in hopes that I could understand what he was trying to say.


   Yixing put his hand on my shoulder, "Think of EXO as a whole. People look at us and watch us, but mainly they cannot see us. They don't see every detail and everything that has come and gone. They don't see the tire tracks in our lives, or the scars in our hearts. The things that we've sacrificed and can never replace. We are just like the parking lot outside. Sometimes we are empty and have flaws, but most of all we are strong and continue on to the road ahead of us."


   The things he was talking about were so deep. It really touched my heart and I wanted to cry. I understood what he was finally trying to explain to me. "It's kind of like Kris too," I added. "People look at him but they don't see him."


   "Exactly," Yixing agreed, "but sadly I don't think he wants people to see him. He would rather be heard than anything else. That's why he made his decision. He's very smart you know."


   "I know," I said, and then I turned to him, "Do you think he'll ever come back?"


   Yixing didn't say anything at that moment he just stared at me blankly but also very sad like, almost as if he was hurting inside because of the situation. It was so upsetting to see how much it was affecting him. I bent down and hugged him so tight I could feel his heart beating.


   "It's going to be okay," I assured, "I just know it. I have a feeling about it, so don't worry. You got that? I don't want you to tire yourself out because of it. And that goes for the others too. Because I love you, all of you."


   I let go of him when I heard someone coming up the stairs. "Lay hyung! Soonhee-yah!" Our names were being shouted through the hallway. Yixing and I turned toward the door when we saw it opening. It was Chen. "Tao and Nari are here." He announced.


   We nodded in response together. "Tell them we will be right there," I said right before Chen left.


   I helped Yixing up out of his wheelchair and had him lean on me while we walked down the hall together. "I can't believe Nari's here," I said to Yixing while we were in the hallway. "Isn't she still depressed because of what happened?"


   "I don't really know for sure," he replied, "but Tao is with her, so hopefully he's been getting her through this with his moral support. He's usually good at that."
   I sighed, "Well, maybe if she seems capable enough, we can ask her if she knows Kris' whereabouts?"


   "No don't do that," he suggested, "It would probably only make her feel worse. Besides, I don't think Kris wants us to know where he is anyway. We have to let him be on his own for a while and trust him. It's the best we can do for now." Yixing was always right about nearly everything, damn.


   Finally, we got downstairs and were greeted by Tao and Nari. Tao looked happy to see everyone, while Nari on the other hand looked like she was wearing the fakest smile in history. I could tell right away that she was hurting. I felt so bad for her. This was rough for all of us, but none more so than her.