Mokpo

No Regrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Really, I'm not kidding in a 'I like sunsets and long walks on the beach'-kind of way... I actually do like candles. I have those really dark curtains and I just close them, light candles, listen to some music...it's relieving,“ he sounded a bit desperate trying not to make this appear too ridiculous.
“Eherm... yeah... sounds like quality time with yourself,“ I .
“No...noo...nooo.. I mean it for real, it's comforting...“ he said trying to convince me.
“Yeah... I believe that...“ I laughed at how serious he was about this.
“Really, scents put your mind at ease... they help letting go...when you're alone it can take away that feeling of emptiness...ah...really...no joke....it's nice... when we get to Jungshin's I'll show you,“ he nodded with a slight pout.
“Show me? Yeah... sure... we'll close the door, the curtains, light some candles and play some music... what are you exactly planning on showing me? Tskkkkk...“ I playfully pulled a face and shook my head.
Yonghwa laughed, teasing me right back “Ah... of course that's not what I meant.... well, most likely that's not what I meant...yeah most likely....i mean, maybe....“
I hit his arm “Oh shut up!“ Now I had to laugh as well.
He had bent over from laughing too hard and somehow something came over me. And I simply didn't want to stop teasing. 
Or maybe I just wanted to see his reaction.
“Well... but I get to chose the music.“
He stared at me, eyes wide open, still that playfulness on his face. “So?“
I leaned back in my chair, putting on an exaggerated thoughful expression “Well, definitely nothing that sounds like...like....like Low Rising by The Swell Season.“
“What?“
“I thought you've said you liked the movie Once? Glen Hansard? Ah... just look it up....Anyway... I'd chose.... Gangnam Style... that would make sure we could really enjoy the candles..“
“Yeah... and nothing else,“ he playfully pulled a face. “Distroying any possible mood...I see what you're trying to do...I see...“ With two fingers he pointed towards his own eyes and then towards mine repeatedly. “Well... there's nothing wrong though with a little oppan gangnam style, you know?“
“Whaaat!!???“ I was somewhere inbetween laughing out loud and pulling a shocked face as he waved his hand apologetically as to say that it was just a joke. 
I finally caught my breath “Yeah..no.. this is the point where I exit this conversation.“ 
I was still laughing while getting up from my chair “I'm going to the bathroom. If they end up having candles there I'll might go all gangster for you and nick you a little souvenir for this trip... You can burn it alone however.“
Yonghwa playfully pouted and mouthed 'not fair' while I was already leaving, still laughing.

It had gotten dark outside and we had arrived at the outskirts of Mokpo after chatting for the remaining hours of the drive. Somehow the serious topics had started to fade and we had begun to joke around as the akwardness of the beginning of our time together had completely vanished. I finally felt comfortable and his mischievousness was contagious. 
Then we basically had arrived at our destination. But before I could try to figure out how to get to the house of his bassist's relatives Yonghwa had suggested we could grab dinner prior to meeting up with his friend. In order to have a worthy end for our day together.

And I liked the sound of that.
A worthy end.
I had always appreciated letting things sink in before letting them go.

So we had found a small roadside diner with a simple menu. Sitting accross from each other on this small table, next to the large window front of the diner, we had already spent more time than necessary. Or maybe we had spent just as much time as necessary. 
I am still not sure.

All I know is that I returned from the restroom with a little something hidden in my hand.

“You won't effin believe it.“ I smiled triumphantly.
Still standing next to our table I watched who Yonghwa sat infront of me, putting down his glass of beer and looking up at me with raised brows.
So I said in a subdued voice: “Tadaa... put it away before the waitress sees it.“
And at that I put a small, not particularly pretty candle on the table.
Yonghwa looked at me surprised, the widest smile creeping up on his face. He quickly grabbed the small candle and inspected it while hiding it with his hand at the same time. 
“No way... really??“
“Actually... it's not from the bathroom itself... outside, before the entrance, there was a small shelf with potted plants, a few family pictures I guess...in really tacky frames...and well two of these...“ I explained while sitting down. “I mean, what are the chances, right?“
The candle had an off-white color and was probably as high as a thumb, no glass no nothing accompanying it. It was one of those you could get for a few cents and maybe use for doing handicrafts. 
I smiled “I'm sorry though... cause I guess it doesn't really have any scent.“
Yonghwa shook his head and still smiled way too wide “Whatever...that's just... it's pretty awesome.“ Then he looked up at me, a sneaky glint in his eyes and something that seemed like a bit of admiration “Plus... now we finally have that candle to burn once we close the curtains tonight...“
“Oh shut up“ I laughed out loud, hitting his arm again playfully.

When we were about to leave, Yonghwa insisted on paying again so I protested.
“You paid for lunch.“ I sincerely didn't like scrouging off of anyone and it started to feel like it.
He just smiled with his lips pressed together and shook his head “It's okay, you did all the damn driving, plus it's your car too.“
“But you have already paid for the gas as well,“ I countered.
“Ah whatever...“ he already took out the cash from his wallet.
“No seriously...“ I tried at least giving him a few bills but he rejected.
“So... what can I say that makes it okay with you... like to yourself... that I'm inviting you for dinner?“ he asked.
“Not much... cause there's no reason.“ I sighed.
“I see... then...hm...ah! Just call it a date then,“ he had a mischievous glint in his eyes.
“Yeah, right,“ I laughed while we got up to leave, walking out into the dark evening air.
He grinned “I mean... let's just say we had dinner... and now we're skipping the movie..“
“Mhm??“ 
“Yeah...we're skipping to movie so I can bring you home... and we can light some candles.“ 
“Oh shut up.“
“You're telling me a bit often to shut up...“ 
“Oh shut up.“ 
“Are you a broken record now?“
“Oh shut up.“
“Really? What record are you? Ah, I know, Gangnam Style!“
“Oh shut up.“
“Never knew that line was in Gangam Style.“
“Oh shut up.“
“Tskkk..okay, I'll need to turn off that broken record now...“
“Oh shut up.“
….

On our way to the car we were both almost dazed from laughing. I pushed him softly and he playfully started to try to put his hand over my lips to make me stop repeating that one phrase while I tried fighting him off. I felt a little drunk, even though I had not been drinking during dinner so I could still drive that last mile to his friend's house. I was simply high on the fun we were having at this moment and I could tell so was he. 

We had eventually calmed down a little when I started driving again through the dark streets of that evening. My cheeks were still burning. Yonghwa was sitting next to me, just like before. And he leaned back comfortably in his seat. 

And then it happened.
I felt his eyes on me. 
Strongly. 

Yes, he was again sitting next to me. 
It just wasn't like before.

~

It's those little moments. They happen so rarely, almost never. I could count them easily if I wanted to. It's those moments that are absolutely perfect to you while happening. When you notice it and feel perfectly happy. Nothing hurts or bothers you. No thoughts that creep up on you, preventing you from what we should actually always do: appreciate the present and all the things that it is made of. 
Those blissful moments are so rare that I don't even find it hard to recall all of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter