Chapter 5: Caught

When Two Hearts Tangle

Jung Kook didn’t have the slightest notion  as to where he was being led, but he allowed Sori, who seemed familiar with the building to him to the nurse’s office. Onlookers probably would have better defined their movement as similar to a parent dragging a reluctant child along by their arm.  

The golden maknae was covering his nose with one hand and his target was pulling him down the hallway with the other. They were silent and when they finally did speak, it was five minutes later when they were standing in front the ladies bathroom door.  

“I thought you were taking me to the nurse. Why did you bring me here?”

“The nurse’s office is on the other side of the school and that’s like a ten minute walk. Do you really want to walk for ten minutes with your hand over your nose.” she slid open the bathroom door and attempted to pull him inside, but he immediately broke her grasp and staggered several feet away from her.  

There were some things that people just knew without being told and one of them was, that girls go in the girls’ bathrooms, while boys go into the boys bathroom. Under no circumstances, were they suppose to enter the other’s territory and he was slightly caught off guard by how welcoming she was for him to enter.  

“Are you out of your mind? I can’t go in there, it’s the girl’s bathroom! Just bring  some tissue out here.”

“You’re joking, right?” she said as though he were the one who was overreacting. “I also want to get a look at your nose. Look around,” she said, glancing left and then right down the empty hallways. “No one will see you and it’s only for a minute. Plus, there’s only one stall in here, so it’s not like anyone else is going to randomly walk in.”

“I’m going back to the gym.” he decided, after realizing that she was genuinely serious about him setting foot there.  

Jung Kook only managed to take one step away when he felt her pinch the tip of his ear and began dragging him toward the ladies restroom. The pressure she was placing on his ear seemed harmless, but Sori acted as though she had done this before and had located the correct portion of his ear, causing the pain she was inflicting on him to hurt him severely. 

“Ah...ah...ah…” he whined as pulled him into the bathroom, closing the door behind them.  

Sori hadn’t been lying when she said the bathroom had only one stall. It was half the size of an average bedroom containing the typical things you would find in a bathroom: a sink, mirror, flowers, air freshener, a garbage bin, and napkin dispenser enacted in the wall. There were small, rectangular shaped windows lining the wall, providing the bathroom with a flood of light.  

After releasing him, she allowed him a moment to cradle his pink ear, then said,” Here,” as she reached him a hand full of napkins.
 
Jung Kook took the napkins and wiped his nose and after a quick investigation he realized that his nose had stopped bleeding.  

“Let me see.” she ordered. 

He removed the napkins and she rose on her tippy-toes to inspect his nose. Everything about his face, appeared normal, with the only abnormality being his tomato red nose due to irritation. She reached her hands up and tapped the bridge of his nose.

“Does that…hurt?”

“No.”

“Hmmm…” she muttered to herself and studied his face for several more seconds.

At one point, Sori was barely an inch from his face as she scanned both sides of his nose for injury. Jung Kook secretly wondered if she could sense that he was holding his breath.

“Does it hurt when you breathe?”

“….huh?” he asked, slightly caught off guard.

“When you breathe…does it hurt?”

“…uh….no…” he mumbled quickly.

“Good.” she said, then lowered herself downwards, flat on her feet. “You don’t have a broken nose. Otherwise, I was afraid I was going to have to pop it back in place.”

“What?!”

She quickly laughed to herself and shook her head, amused by his outburst.

“It’s a joke.” she explained after another moment of quiet laughter. Sori made her way across the bathroom and opened the window, before turning around to say. “I wasn’t deliberately trying to hit you, but I was trying to get out of gym. You sort of just…got in the way.”

“So you planned all this?” he asked, completely caught off guard.

“Like I said,” she explained as she pulled her hair out of her face. “It could have been anyone, but it was you…because you just got in the way.”  

The golden maknae couldn’t believe what he was dealing with. Sori had intentionally thrown the ball with excessive force, hoping to harm someone so that she could use it as an excuse to escape gym. There was a part of him that admired her for her cleverness, but a far more wiser voice living inside his inner thoughts reminded him that if she did things like this to get out of gym class, there was no telling what other things she might be doing  in regards to her finding out about her father’s work.  

He suddenly recalled his mission, the very reason that he was in this school in the first place. He needed to find out about her father and whether or not if she knew anything about his work, however he was not stupid and didn’t want to jeopardize the mission by randomly blurting out questions about her father. He and the members were simply going to have to gain her trust and then once she felt comfortable enough around him, then squeeze the information out of her.  

“What do plan to do now?” he asked her.

“I don’t know about you, but gym class isn’t over for another thirty minutes. I’m going to wander the halls for a bit then, randomly show up at the last ten minutes so I can change from my gym clothes.” she stared at him. “If you want you could still go to the nurse, but I think it’ll just be a waste of time.” 

Before he could speak, she quickly ended the conversation by saying. “Well, see you around.”

Then within a blink of an eye, she flung open the bathroom door and vanished outside into the hallway. Jung Kook, unsure of what else to do, decided to follow, but the second he stepped out of the bathroom he heard a startled scream and found himself staring at two female teachers who happened to walk by just as he burst through the doors.  

“Young man!” screamed one of the teachers in horror. “What are you doing in the ladies bathroom?”

“I…uh…” Jung Kook glanced in all directions of the hallway, but Sori was no where to be seen.