Chapter 2: The Mission

When Two Hearts Tangle

The agency that Bangtan belonged to was the most secretive company in the world. It didn’t even have an proper name because they wanted to prevent any traces of it’s existence from being known, therefore it merely went by the name “the agency”.

The agency job was simply. They would send a team of spies to go undercover in some environment and gain as much intelligence as they could on their target, and then if the person was considered to be a threat, the spies were removed from the area and assassins were sent in to execute them.  

After each mission, the spies’ memories were erased through a special medication known as FMN-7. It was a break through medication that allowed specific memories to be removed if person took the pill shortly after an event and a few key words relating to what had occurred were said. Anything connecting to that moment, it would be removed from their mind they would be unable to be retained no matter how hard they tried. The most amazing thing about the medication was that it allowed them to retain the memories of every other event in their life and only targeted a specific event. This meant that they could still remember their family members or childhood without having to worry about it being forgotten.

When the government developed this new drug, it was made in order to protect the spies in case they were ever identified or kidnapped. This would prevent them from revealing information about the agency and in some cases, if they were tortured, they couldn’t reveal anything and would be useless to their captors. The sole purpose was to maintain secrecy. 

A few floors up, in a room that resembled a classroom, the best spies in the country, only known among the company by their code name, Bangtan, sat in desks. The room was sound proof and painted completely white in a way that resembled the interior of an insane asylum. The seven members said in rows, dressed in blue uniforms that they were required to wear during their memory erasing process.  

“Ah…what’s taking them so long?” asked Rap Monster. “It feels like we’ve been waiting for hours.”

“Hours? Try days.” suggested Suga.

“Everything looks the same here.” said V moving his head in all directions, denoting the identical white painted  walls, ceiling, and floor. “What if we’ve been in here for years…or decades and there’s a zombie apocalypse outside?”

Jung Kook glanced over his shoulder at his hyung and grinned slyly at him. “Maybe you should go out and look around.”

“Nope!” said V. “Because I know that as soon as I step outside, you’re going to lock me out and let the zombies get me.”  

“Ahh man.” said Jimin from the other side of the room. “How did he know?”

“Nah, don’t worry V.” J-hope patted his shoulder while laughing. “They’ll take one bite of you, then spit you out because the taste is bitter and sick. They’ll say ‘Are you trying to kill us?’”

The other members lightly laughed, showing that they agreed with J-Hope.

“Ha, I like to think of myself as being quite tasty and irresistible.” said V. 

“Hyung, have you seen your side of the dorm lately?” asked the golden maknae. “You’re anything but tasty and irresistible.”  

Their conversation was silenced as the door swung open. The seven members sat upright in their seats and folded their hands on top of their desk with their eyes drawn to the front of the room.

Everything became silence, so quiet that the only sound that could be heard were the echoes of Tangy’s shoe’s as he entered the room and made his way to his podium at the front. Behind the podium was a transparent board that he used when debriefing the members to highlight the points that he was making.  

“Bangtan…are you ready for your next mission?”

“Yes, sir!” all seven said in unison.

“This mission is probably your most important yet.” He scanned each of their faces to assure that they were aware of the seriousness of his words. “It might take longer than the others too.”

“We’re capable of doing this.” said Jin confidently. “What do we have to do?”

Tangy nodded, then opened the folder Riker had given to him. He slid the photograph of their next target from the file and sat it on top of a projector that created a larger image of the girl on the transparent board.

“Your next target is sixteen year old Sori Peeks.”

Each of the members studied the image of their target with great intensity. Sori fit the typical of figure of most school aged girls, average in height, lean in body composition, and she had small beady eyes that were lined with a fence of eye lashes. Her long, light brown hair was tied up in a pony tail. The image was obviously taken without her consent or awareness because she was among a group of friends talking, however their faces were blurred in order to focus on hers.

After studying the image for a moment, V immediately rose his hand, to question their boss. Tangy seemed, slightly caught off guard by the interruption, but said. “Uh, yes?’

“Um…” V glanced over at the other members as if seeking their approvable to go through with what he was preparing to say. “…really…no one else is going to say it?….I guess I have to do it then….”

“What is it?” asked Tangy who now leaned forward, slightly more interested.

“…doesn’t she look like Ilhoon from BTOB if he were wearing a wig?”

“….what…?!”

“Just imagine Ilhoon from BTOB, wearing a wig,” said V. “Doesn’t she look like him?”

“Honestly,” said Jin. “I was thinking the exact same thing, but I didn’t want to say anything about it.” 

“Yeah.” said Suga.

“See, I’m not the only one who thinks it.”

“Maybe that’s his sister.” suggested Jung Kook.

“I didn’t even know he had a sister.”

“That could be his twin.”  

“He has a twin?” exclaimed Jung Kook.

“Not in this reality.”

“I heard that there’s this new app,” said Jimin. “Where you can take peoples faces and Photoshop them onto other people’s body.”

“What?’ J-Hope burst out laughing. “So you’re the one’s whose been doing that?”

“I never did it personally!” said Jimin.  

“Well someone sent me a photo of my head on a dog’s body and I don’t remember taking that photo.” said V.

As the seven members spoke amongst themselves, Tangy clenched his teeth together as an attempt to channel the anger that was boiling within him, but this failed as he aggressively banged the palms of his hands on the podium, silencing the members.  

“WE DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THIS?!” He yelled while looking in V’s direction.

Why is he only looking at me? thought V.

“We’re sorry.” said Rap Monster. “Please continue.”

Tangy breathed a sigh of relief and then continued.

“Sori Peeks is the daughter of the foreign minister who is suspected of treason, but before we can arrest him on it we have to gather information. We believe he’s responsible for a few terrorist attacks that have happened overseas, but we need evidence first. Sources say his daughter might overhear some of his conversations or she may unknowingly be harboring evidence of his crime. Your mission is to enroll in her high school, gather as much information on her as she can and report it back to me.”

“High school?” repeated Suga. “But we haven’t been to school in years. The training program was the only education we’ve received.”

“Yeah, how can we possibly blend in with high school students?” asked Jimin.

“That’s your job…you’ll figure it out once you get there. Just don’t blow your cover.”

“We’ll do it.” said Rap Monster. “We just have to act like normal high school and get close to her.” he exchanged glances with each of the members. “How hard can that be?”  

“Good.” said Tangy. “Prepare yourself…the helicopter will be leaving shortly.”