Chapter 4: Dodge Ball

When Two Hearts Tangle

 Jung Kook felt like an ant among humans as he stood in front of his assigned locker. All throughout the hallway, students were stacking and removing things in and from their lockers, in preparation for their first class of the day. 

The school environment was completely odd, not just to Jung Kook, but to all the  members. They had attended a few years of grammar school, but that was when they were six and seven years old. 

When they had began to show advanced skills in comparison to their other peers, they were immediately recruited to joining the agency. After taking several tests, which involved them demonstrating their physical abilities and intelligence, they were selected and taken into the agency’s training camp, where they were given an education, however most of the focus was on training them to become spies.  

He felt slightly out of place standing among teenagers who were the same age as him, despite this being a natural environment for a majority of the youth his age. He was obviously more skilled than the other students, but he was under cover and had to act like a regular student.  

The golden maknae grabbed a few books, then closed his locker and headed to his first class of the day. Each student was printed a schedule of their courses for the day and because this was the first day of class, all students carried one with them. The classrooms were labeled with a number that was written on top of the door.

Jung Kook’s schedule indicated that his first class for the day was literature. He quickly passed the rowdy morning traffic of students who were rushing to class. The second he turned the corner, he walked chest first into somebody.  

It took him a moment to recognize who it was and in that instinct his heart dropped to the bottom of his chest. It was more than just a figure of speech, he could literally feel the organ that was pumping blood throughout out his body, fall from it’s spot in the center of his chest downwards into the pit of his stomach. It was a reaction that was created due  the shock he felt over running, literally, into his target.  

Sori had been staring down at a book when he ran into her, causing the book to slip from her hand once the two collide. The maknae towered over her by several feet and she looked up at him, appearing far more startled than he did. With his thoughts racing and everything feeling extremely fast, he was surprised how calmly he reacted to the entire situation.  

“Um, sorry.” he reached down and picked her book up off the floor and handed it to her. 

“That’s okay.” she said, quickly. “Just be careful next time.”

Without allowing another word to pass between them, she quickly rounded the corner and disappeared into the crowd. The golden maknae was frozen in shock, as time seemed to continue,  everyone moved around him as though he were furniture.

She’s even prettier in person. He thought, then quickly regretted ever having thinking something so irrelevant take was up space in his mind. They had a mission to do and he was the first one on their team to encounter their target.

Jung Kook was convinced that his first interaction with her left a bad impression. 
______________

 

Two classes periods later, Jung Kook was slightly relieved to find out that he hadn’t shared any classes with their target yet. He was still trying to devise a plan on how he would approach her so that it would appear as a natural gesture of kindness. 

In the past, most of their targets were male or even adults, but this was the first time they were spying on a girl who was within the same age group as them. Jung Kook wasn’t even sure how to approach her.  

His third class for the day was P.E. and shortly after changing into the required gray t-shirt and red shorts, he was pleased to learn that J-Hope and Jimin shared this class with him. The group of thirty students were scattered about the large gymnasium talking to one another in small groups while waiting for their teacher.  

“Hyung, do you have any classes with her?” asked Jung Kook as he approached him hyungs.

“Not me.” said Jimin.

“I had one class with her, but I haven’t spoken to her yet.” confessed J-Hope.

“Oh.” said Jung Kook, silently choosing to keep his run in with her this morning a secret.

“Isn’t that her over there?” said Jimin, who made the mistake of pointing.  

“Ah!!” J-hope quickly knocked his hand down. “Don’t point! She’ll look at us. You have to do it…secretly.”

“How?” asked Jung Kook.

“Kinda like this…” said J-Hope.  

He stepped away from the members, then with his back to her, he pretended to stretch his arms outwards in a tired gesture, then half way through the stretch he turned his head  quickly in the direction of Sori and began darting his eyes left and right in a rapid ping pong like gesture.

“Ugh, hyung…” said Jimin as he covered his face with the palm of his hand. “That actually draws way more attention than just looking at her normally.”

A moment later, a whistle was blown and each student’s attention was drawn to their physical education instructor who had managed to sneak up on them while they were conversing. Their teacher, Mr. Mount, was a short overweight man who served as a walking piece of irony, waiting to be mocked due to his professional title as a physical education instructor when in reality, his body weight showed that he didn’t follow through on his own curriculum.  

“Five laps around the gym.” he ordered his students after taking attendance.  

Jung Kook ran the laps with ease, since the physical training he did at the agency was one hundred times more severe than the five laps they were required to run. Every now and then, J-Hope would jogged along side Jimin and grab on to his shoulder and allow himself to be dragged along, exaggerating like the exercise was too much for him.  

After the five laps, each of the students met the gym teacher in the center of the gymnasium.

“Since today is the first day, we’ll start things off easy. We’re going to play  dodge ball, boys on the left, girls on the right.” he blared his whistle and the students began to separate by gender as their teacher wandered toward the equipment room to gather a few dozen balls.  

“Boys versus Girls.” whispered J-Hope to Jimin and Jung Kook as they made their way to the left side of the gym. “That seems so unfair. Look at them,” he waved his hand toward the girl’s side. “They’re all so tiny and small. It’s really is a disadvantage for the girls. We really need to go easy on them.” he joked.  

Shortly after saying this, the gym teacher rolled the balls across the gymnasium floor. One ball rolled directly in front of Sori and she slowly approached it and then picked it up. After pulling a strand of hair out of her face, she tossed the ball into the air as if she were serving a volley ball and then as the ball fell downwards toward her, with the single smack of the palm, the ball soared through the air like a bullet flying with raging speed onto the boys side.  

Most of the boys jumped out of the way as the dangerous ball charged at them. In the end, the  boys dodged the ball causing it smash aggressively against wall, leaving a small exploding sound as it hit,  shattering against the wall, causing shards of paint to fly in all directions.  

Jimin and Jung Kook’s mouth hung open in shock and being completely caught off guard, J-hope jumped on top of Jimin, Scooby-do style and stared in horror at Sori who suddenly appeared as though she were a machine rather than a fragile little girl.  

“What…the….?”

“What kind of girl is that?!”  asked J-Hope.

“START!” shouted their gym teacher.

As if sounding the alarm for a war, each of the students charged at the balls and began throwing them back and forth at the other side. Each side was quick and competitive, throwing and running in all directions as though engaging in war. 

Jimin found him something doing more dodging than he did throwing as he seemed to be an attractive target for the his female competitors. J-Hope ducked and dived in creative ways, in one instinct as a ball was soaring toward him he dropped down backwards like he was doing the limbo and the ball missed him by an inch.

“This is dangerous!” he shouted to Jung Kook.

At first, both sides were evenly matched but as the game progressed the girls seemed to be taking the win and had more players than the boys, who had lost when getting hit.  

“J-Hope, watch out!” Jung Kook yelled as a ball was heading right for him.  

His hyung spun his lower body just as a ball exploded against the wall beside him. Sadly, this distracted Jung Kook because while he was watching out for J-Hope, a ball flying at thirty miles an hour abusively hit him in the side of his face, sending him crashing to the ground.  

A moment later, he was on the ground, he tasted blood, and his entire class was surrounding him.

“Your nose is bleeding!” squealed a girl.

“Make way, make way.” said Mr. Mounts as he pushed through the crowd. He lifted Jung Kook to his feet and studied his nose as it dripped blood from his right nostril, badly bruising his face. “Shesh! That looks bad. Who threw that?”

“I did.”

All eyes turned and were focused on Sori Peeks as she stared up at them innocently. “I’m so sorry,” she said sincerely. “Really, it was an accident. I’ll take him to the nurse.”

“You don’t have to.” said Jung Kook, while covering his noise. He didn’t have the slightest clue where the nurse’s office was at, but he wasn’t ready to be alone with her, just not yet.

“We’ll have to fill out a report.” said Sori, speaking to their gym teacher, rather than to Jung Kook. “I’ll take him there and then come back.”

“Alright then, Sori and Jung Kook to the nurse’s office. Everyone else, round 2!”

J-Hope, who was drenched in sweat and who’s skin was pink like a pig due to exhaustion, allowed himself to fall to ground at the gym teacher’s order to continue with the barbaric sport.

“Come on.” Sori said grabbing a hold of Jung Kook’s arm. “Let’s go to the nurse’s office.”