Chapter 1: Riker

When Two Hearts Tangle

The second that Riker passed through the doors of his agency, all happiness and life amongst the office workers who had been lingering near their desks and chattering about their personal lives came to a halt. For those who knew him, silence was necessary upon his presence as it was their way of acknowledging their respect for him and for those who knew of him, his frightening appearance was enough to silence them. Shortly after entering, the hundreds of workers, suddenly found themselves  working harder than usual and they were much more interested in their work now that he was in the building.  

Riker didn’t pay them any attention and he walked passed the rows of desk cubicles. It took him several minutes to reach an isolated hallway that led to his office. He threw open the door and was slightly annoyed to find his assistant, Tangy Wilfred, sitting in a chair that didn’t belong in front of his desk.

Tangy was a tall, lean man with wide eyes that refused to blink due to a fear of missing something important. He was often describe as being a light pole, but despite his skinny, puny build he was aggressive and stern when he spoke. 

“Hello sir.” said Tangy as he quickly rose to his feet. “It’s good to see that you‘ve arrived here safely. I was just about to-.”  

“Did you bring that chair in here?” Riker barked angrily as he threw his coat on top of his desk.

“Uh…”  stammered Tangy while averting his gaze to and from the chair, then to his angry boss. “…yeah, I had been waiting for an hour and I thought…”

“It doesn’t matter what you thought! When you’re in my office, you stand whenever you’re addressing me? Do you understand?” he yelled with such intensity that spit flew from his mouth.

“Yes, sir.”  said Tangy, bowing his head show his remorse for his actions. “I’m sorry, it won’t happen again. I promise.”  

Rike dropped down in his seat and began to sort through a stack of papers that someone had placed on his desk during his absence. Tangy stood nervously at the front of his desk, unsure if he should leave or if Riker wanted him to stay. 

With each movement his boss made, Tangy would flinch as though he were an abused child who feared being struck again. Riker was an older man with the appearance of a grandfather, but he wasn’t the type of person to read bedtime stories to children. He was a powerful man who ran an agency that was designed to execute people.  

“Team Bangtan…” Riker said slowly. “Where are they now?”

“Sir, they’re in the briefing room. Their memories from their last mission have already been erased. We’re waiting to deliver your next orders to them.”

A long silence followed Tangy’s remark. The office they were standing in was extremely large, but the awkward silence polluted the atmosphere, making it feel small and suffocating. The walls were lined with book shelves that were packed with text books, files on previous missions, and other classified mission documents. It was gloomy in appearance and yet, despite the lack of appeal the room gave off, it under tight scrutiny and bolted shut each night with dozens of locks to secure the information of each mission within the walls of the room.  

The entire wall, if it can even be called a wall, behind Riker’s desk was made of a transparent window that provided him with a view of the front of the building. The glass was specially made, designed so that he could see the outside of the building, however those looking at the building couldn’t see inside. They simply saw a plain wall.  

“This next mission is probably the most important one yet.” said Riker. He reached through the stack of files on his desk and picked up one that had  ‘Foreign Ministry’ scribbled on the front of it. He handed it to Tangy. “They really can’t mess up on this one.” 

“Don’t worry.” said Tangy confidentially. “Bangtan are the best spies in South Korea! They’ve never made a mistake…trust me sir, this mission will be successful, just like the hundreds of others.”

“Good.” Riker glanced over his shoulder at the window, then back at Tangy. “Quickly debrief them and I’ll get the helicopter ready.”

“Yes, sir.” said Tangy, who then immediately bowed his head as a sign of respect. “I will go inform the right away.”