Chapter 9

Fall For You

 

At lunch…

 

Taeyeon had stopped ninja-ing about in her journey to the cafeteria. She submitted herself to fate and headed towards the table where Jaejoong and Junsu were, appearing a tad too uninterested. Yuri trudged on behind, half-amused by Taeyeon and half-intrigued by her observations of Junsu from earlier on.

 

Jaejoong got up to greet Taeyeon. his chair almost falling back from the spring he had while he hopped up to greet her. She waved back nonchalantly, strategically choosing to sit closer to Junsu than to Jaejoong.

 

Yuri watched her fumble over several chairs before being dragged to Jaejoong’s side by the man in question.

 

“Come over here and sit with me!” Jaejoong added, as he stuffed the petite, scowling girl into the chair beside his.

 

Junsu’s face was emotionless and he took out his cellphone to play Angry Birds. Yuri swirled herself into the chair beside Junsu’s, right opposite Taeyeon.

 

Glancing over to Junsu’s phone, Yuri grinned. “You’re good at the game, eh?”

 

Junsu paused the game and looked at her, a small smile appearing. “It’s addictive, got hooked onto it. I like it.”

 

“You liked it after one sight—I mean, after one try?”

 

Yuri’s words were laced with insinuation and this led to Junsu twisting his head to her side as fast as a speeding car, so fast a crack could almost be heard. His eyes evoked what he felt – panic? – and that convinced Yuri that her suspicions were right. Grinning smugly, she turned back to face Taeyeon, who was still trying to surreptitiously shift her chair away, inch by inch, from Jaejoong’s side. Jaejoong held onto her chair for dear life.

 

“Taengoo, let’s go get food.”

 

Taeyeon stood up immediately, her chair almost falling back from the force she stood up with. She nodded vigorously and leaped away from Jaejoong’s grip.

 

Junsu resumed his game, but wasted a bird now that he couldn’t focus. So Yuri knows?

 

Jaejoong sighed and dug into his burger, watching Taeyeon leave for the queue with Yuri. “Su, do you think Taeyeon dislikes me?”

 

“Maybe… Maybe she’s just feeling uncomfortable with all the love you shower on her.”

 

“I don’t know, Su. I think she hates me.”

 

“Be positive, maybe she doesn’t. Give her some time… I’m sure she’ll grow to like you.”

 

“Damn, that was profound. Thanks, buddy.”

 

After a while, Taeyeon and Yuri returned with their food.

 

Junsu glanced at Yuri, who continued eating peacefully. He took out his phone and texted her.

 

To Yuri

 

Please don’t tell her anything.

 

Yuri stopped munching when her phone vibrated. Taking it out, she glanced at the message once and slid her phone back into her pocket. She shot a small nod to Junsu’s side.

 

Meanwhile, Jaejoong offered Taeyeon bits and pieces of his side dishes. Taeyeon refused all, now sitting sixty centimeters away from the boy.

 

= = =

 

When school finally ended, Yoona exited, a heavy feeling tugging on her heart.

 

She felt discomfort at the deepest part of her heart after rejecting Yunho’s gift. Even thinking about the incident could lead her to grimace.

 

She knew Yunho wouldn’t possibly be waiting for her today to walk home with her. If she were him, she wouldn’t either.

 

But she was wrong. As she turned the corner after the school gate, Yunho was standing there, leaning against the wall. He noticed her presence and stood up straight, smiling at her.

 

“Yoona! Great to see you.”

 

Yoona stared at him. As if she wasn’t guilty enough, his sudden appearance only made her far more guilty. “Yunho-ssi, hi…”

 

“Hi. You’re going home?”

 

“Uh, yeah…”

 

“I’ll walk you, then!”

 

Yoona blinked a few times as Yunho stepped towards her left, ushering for her to go on.

 

She started down the road with him by her side, but she felt that she had to breach the subject to him.

 

“Yunho-ssi, about the morning thing…”

 

“Don’t worry about it, Yoona. I got over it.”

 

“Listen, I’m really sorry—“

 

“Come on, don’t worry so much about it.”

 

“But that was really horrible of me—“

 

“Im Yoona, listen to me! It’s okay. I did feel a bit of a brunt when I heard your words, but it’s okay. Don’t feel guilty or sorry about it. Okay?”

 

Sighing, she stopped walking. “I’m still sorry, Yunho.”

 

He stopped walking too, grinning. “If you’re sorry, then…” Twisting his backpack to the front, he ped it and pulled out a box of chocolates, the red wrapping removed. “Then… You should take this. As a simple gift from a friend. Take it that I bought some sweets for you. Plus, chocolate releases endorphins, and that will make you happy. You’re already happy, but this will make you happier. Here you go.”

 

He stuffed the box into her hands. She hugged it close to herself, momentarily disregarding the fact that the chocolates would melt. “Thank you.” She smiled at him sweetly.

 

He reciprocated the smile, an even brighter one plastered onto his face. “Now come on, let’s go, before your brother worries.”

 

“Alright!”

 

As they continued down the road, Yunho suddenly remembered what happened that day outside the sickbay. When Seulong asked if his name was Jung Yunho…

 

“Yoona, has your brother mentioned anything about me before?”

 

Yoona’s head shot up to look at him. “Seulong-oppa? I don’t think so.”

 

“Oh… Did you tell him my surname before?”

 

“Jung? I don’t think so. Why are you asking such questions?”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing…”

 

Yunho did see no need to tell her what went on that day outside the sickbay, but he felt that he should come clean. “It’s just… That day, while you were in the sickbay, he asked me if my name was Jung Yunho.”

 

“Why would he do that?”

 

“I don’t know. I thought maybe you told him my name before and he just wanted to check. But he also asked if we have ever met before. The first and only time I met your brother was when I sent you home that day, so… I’m wondering too.”

 

“Oh… That’s odd of him. I’ll go ask him tonight.”

 

“It’s fine, you don’t have to.”

 

“I’m curious too…”

 

“It’s not a big deal, right?”

 

“I don’t suppose so.”

 

And they continued their journey down the road. Unbeknownst to them, a car on the opposite side of the road suddenly revved up. The window rolled down, revealing a suited man. He dialed a number.

 

“Hello? Second Lady? Yes, I’ve just spotted Young Master. He’s walking with a girl beside him.”

 

Pause.

 

“Yes, the girl is Im Yoona."