Chapter 7

Fall For You
Yoona felt comfortable, but at the same time, unfamiliar—almost afraid. She stirred a bit.

She was never used to lying on a surface that isn’t her bed. But right now, she was lying on a soft bed that definitely was not hers.

“You’re awake,” she heard a gentle voice greet.

Eyes fluttering open, she had to settle to the brightness of the lights above her. She could make out a face somewhere on her left.

The face had a smile on it. She could see from the lines on his forehead that he had furrowed brows just a while ago, as if worried.

“Yunho,” she greeted. The smile brightened as he stood up now, calling out for the nurse to come over.

“You’ve been unconscious since half an hour ago. Your brother’s outside—“

Yunho was cut off as a tall figure barged into the room, having heard Yunho’s call for the nurse. It was Seulong.

“Now he’s inside,” Yunho finished.

Seulong rushed over to Yoona, filling up the space between her and Yunho.

“Yoona, are you alright? You had me scared out of my wits! I was told that you had a fever and you fainted while exiting the school. I’m so glad you’re fine now…”

Even Yoona could see the worry shining in Seulong’s eyes. She laughed and tried to dispel the tension. “I’m fine, oppa, really.”

The nurse came back. “Honey, you better go see a doctor. I’m sorry that we’ve run out of all our paracetamols. But your fever did go down while you slept here, so that’s good.”

“So she can leave?” Yunho asked.

The nurse nodded. “Remember, see a doctor.”

Yoona smiled and nodded, thanking the nurse. She tried to get up but lost her balance. Seulong quickly extended his arms and caught her. Standing back up, she noted something she found peculiar: Yunho taking his arms back, sticking them into his pockets.

“Let’s go home,” Seulong interjected. Yoona nodded as Seulong turned to grab her belongings from the table beside her.

Yunho smiled at her. She smiled back. “Thanks, Yunho, for helping me at the gate.”

“Don’t have to thank me,” he replied, still smiling. Seulong nodded his thanks and led Yoona out.

Yoona left feeling a tad bit unwilling. She had more to say to Yunho, but she had to follow her brother out.

‘Tomorrow, I’ll thank him properly. He’s done so much for me.’

Seulong glanced at Yoona, who was sneaking peeks at the nurse’s office from which she just left. He sighed and merely continued.

=/

/Flashback/

“Yunho, is my sister okay?” Seulong rushed in from the main door, running towards the nurse’s office where Yunho stood outside.

“The nurse said to let her rest for a bit, so basically she’s fine for now… She had a high fever and fainted at the main gate.”

“She didn’t tell me anything about a fever,” Seulong interrupted.

“The weather’s weird lately,” Yunho reasoned, a smile resting on his face. “Don’t worry.”

Yunho could manage telling Seulong not to worry, but the truth was that he was worrying as much as Seulong was; probably even more than that.

It was a shock that came to him when Yoona crumpled to the ground. His first instinct told him to hold her, and thus he did—but feeling that thin, frail figure in his hands was heart wrenching.

He knew he shouldn’t be feeling so much over a girl he’s met for just days, but it was something he couldn’t control.

“Try having a sister lying inside and not worry,” Seulong responded, jaw clenched.

Yunho turned back to him, attention transfixed on Seulong. He was darkly surprised by Seulong’s sudden outburst. “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t…”

Seulong sighed and turned away, fists clenched. “No, I should apologise. I’m sorry, I was worried.”

Yunho nodded in understanding, shrugging to show that he wasn’t affected.

Seulong shut his eyes after taking a peek into the office, seeing a sleeping Yoona. He leaned against the cold wall and sighed again. “You’ve been showing much concern for Yoona. Thanks.”

Yunho looked up when he realized that Seulong was talking to him. “Oh… It’s fine. She’s a nice friend.”

Seulong suddenly stood up straight, stepping towards Yunho. “Yunho, right? I need to talk to you.”

Yunho stared at him, perplexed. “Sure, what’s the matter?”

“Have we ever met before?”

Yunho was caught in silence, eyes narrowed to carefully scrutinize Seulong’s face. After a few moments, he shook his head, definitely sure about never having seen Seulong before.

Seulong nodded, but his eyes told Yunho that he wasn’t quite convinced. “So you don’t know me at all. Only until Yoona introduced me as her brother.”

Yunho nodded.

“Is your name Jung Yunho?”

Yunho was once again caught in silence as he digested Seulong’s questions. They weren’t what you would call the norm.

He assumed that Seulong was being protective of his sister.

But this question about his name; he found this peculiar, too strange to overlook. It was a question about his name, related to his lineage.

Or was Yunho being overly assuming again? What good of a psychology major he is.

“Uh… Yes, it is. Jung Yunho.”

‘Yoona must’ve told him that.’

Seulong’s eyes glinted with understanding. There was something about Seulong’s behavior that made him wonder.

He inhaled slightly as he recalled what he encountered on the first day of school. It was the first time he’s met Seulong, but the familiarity and peculiarity of it all was all too coincidental.

It crashed into his mind, and he took a quick glance at Seulong, who was now leaning against the wall, quietly breathing as he murmured some prayers for his dear younger sister.

‘What’s going on? Why does Seulong seem as though he knows me?’

He turned back to face the wall.

‘Most importantly, if he thinks he’s met me before… Then it must mean that I’ve met him before.’

Sneaking a peripheral peek into the doors of the office, he took a deep breath. ‘I should stop over-analyzing this. Just chill.’

He pushed the door open slightly; nodding towards the nurse whose attention was diverted to the open door, signifying his entrance.

“Where are you going?” Seulong asked.

Yunho stuck his head out. “I’ll be taking a look at Yoona. But… Only students can enter.”

“Not even her family members?” Seulong continued, now standing directly by the door.

Yunho looked towards the nurse with a pleading look, but the nurse shook her head adamantly. Seulong clenched his jaw and nodded, going back to his area on the wall, praying.

He sat down on the empty plastic chair beside Yoona’s bed, still wistfully staring at her. “Please wake up soon, Yoona…”

/Flashback end/

=/

Junsu sat by the coffee table in his shared apartment with Jaejoong. Both of them were busy pondering over Valentines’ Day.

The days were counting down bit by bit. 4 days were left.

Jaejoong was filled to the brim with excitement, but the same could not be said for Junsu.

He bit his lower lip and set his chin on his palm, his two elbows on the table.

“Yah, I’m so excited… Are you thinking about your gift?”

Junsu whipped around so fast he could hear his neck crack. “What gift?” he asked, a bit too defensively.

“I don’t know, a V-day gift?”

“I’m not… thinking of that. I don’t have anyone to give one to.”

Jaejoong leaned forward, a sly grin appearing on his face. “You know, you could always try Taeyeon…”

Junsu’s eyes widened, until Jaejoong cleared his throat. “…Taeyeon’s best friend, Yuri.”

“…Oh. Yuri. Right.”

“Yeah! She’s pretty nice, from what I see.”

Junsu grimaced secretly, straining a smile. “Right. Okay.”

He sighed. He knew he shouldn’t even be thinking about giving a gift at all.

=/

“What should I make for Junsu?” Taeyeon mumbled while scrambling around her little apartment. Yuri yawned and sat up from the bed.

“Seriously, don’t fret so much. Ideas come naturally.”

“I need my ideas to come naturally within 4 days, okay?”

“Man, do you really want to give him something? Just give something to Jaejoong, it rounds up the situation perfectly.”

“When I don’t even feel anything for Jaejoong?”

“Yeah.”

Taeyeon smacked her head. “Great help you are, Yuri.”

4 days, should she give anything or not?

When Junsu doesn’t even like her.

When Jaejoong does.

She smacked her head again.

==