DEUX: DÉCISION

Adieu Été (Goodbye Summer)

"It feels great to be the reason behind someone's decision. He'll go through all the trouble of persuading your supervisor just so he can stay in the same department with you for a short week or even for just another day."

 

“Have you guys thought of your next department?” Soojung asked the whole group while we were eating in the cafeteria after the fumigation.

 

“I thought of transferring to the Front Office Department after being in the Sales and Marketing Department,” Jongdae answered. Everyone looked at him in disbelief because when we first met him, he said that he wouldn’t want to be transferred elsewhere. He wanted to stay with S & M until the end of his contract. And from what we have observed, he was doing great in that department. We often hear his supervisors praising his outstanding work and his great marketing skill. But it seems like he had a change of heart along the way. He never told us the reason behind his decision but it seemed to us that it was for his own good.

 

“Sir Yunho told me early this week that he’s thinking of putting me in the Finance Department.” The image of Joonmyun being in the Finance Department is so fitting. He looked like the guy who could manage properly any financial matters. Him dishing out the waiter uniform and changing into corporate attire, it was a funny scene for us at first because we’re not used to it. But later on we realized he actually look better wearing such outfit. Plus the black-rimmed spectacles he wears makes him look like a real genius. All of us thought he would do well in that department, and we were right. He even did more than what we have expected from him.

 

I went next after Joonmyun, “I’ll be in the Cost Control Department.” All of them eyed me like it was a bad idea. That being in the said department will be a social suicide for me. I could care less because that’s what I wanted anyway, some challenge. They told me the stuff they have heard about being in that department, trying to convince me to change.

 

The whole time my co-interns were stating their arguments, Chanyeol just kept quiet and his head bowed low. I kept looking at his direction but it seemed like he was in deep thought that he couldn’t feel my gaze. He kept brushing his hair up once in a while. The wrinkles on his forehead were already visible, his eyebrows lowered and eyes squinting. He kept on biting his lower lip which was kind of distracting on my part because it looked hot. Oh my fish, I did not just say that!

 

After telling them that my decision of being in that department is final, I turned to ask Chanyeol where his next department is. He seemed to be really not in our world that time and so Kyungsoo answered on his behalf.

 

“Me and Chanyeol will be transferred into one of the restaurant outlets after being in the kitchen.” No one protested, except for the alien-who-just-came-back-on-earth aka Chanyeol the Lost Boy.

 

“I’m not going to be with you in the same department again Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol’s eyes were even wider now than Kyungsoo’s. His reaction was like how he’ll be if a bucket of ice will be poured on him while sleeping.

 

“What are you talking about Yeol? You’re the one who said, during the orientation, that we should always be in the same department. You wanted to try serving guests so badly.”

 

Chanyeol was stuttering while trying to explain his reaction, “I…I...must have said that..before. But not now. I’ll be transferring elsewhere.”

 

“Says who? You? What about me Chanyeol?” Both of them were flustered. We were just watching them bicker like lovers. Kyungsoo wanting Chanyeol to stay with what they have decided from the very beginning and Chanyeol wanting to get out from the deal they had made from way back.

 

“Park Chanyeol, what about me then? So you’re just going to leave me alone in that department?” Kyungsoo’s eyes were already forming tears. It was sure an emotional argument for him until Chanyeol proposed something that changed Kyungsoo’s pitiful face to a...you’ll figure it out later.

 

“Soojung can replace me in that department.” Chanyeol smiled his mischievous smile to his fellow big-eyed friend. He even gave him a wink. Kyungsoo covered his face in embarrassment and let out a heavy sigh.

 

“Why me?” Chanyeol was asked by one of the prettiest interns at that time.

 

“Why not you? Kyungsoo kept on telling me, everytime the two of us will talk, how he wishes that the two of you could be in the same department. I’m just doing my friend a favor.”

 

“No you’re not,” said Kyungsoo under his breath. I heard it though because I was sitting close to him; after trying to pat his back to calm him down during his bicker session with Yeol minutes ago.

 

Soojung smiled shyly after she heard it. I was not surprised at all when I saw her cheeks turn red. It had been quite obvious actually that she has a crush on Kyungsoo ever since. I had observed how she constantly steals glances at him when in view and how she asks random questions but only waiting an answer from one. Yepp, you got it right. This question regarding our departments is actually directed only to Kyungsoo. Though she knew Kyung wouldn’t be the first one to answer anyway. But hey, it was worth the wait because of Kyungsoo’s ever-so-trustworthy friend aka Chanyeol the Revelation.

 

Before going out of the cafeteria, Kyungsoo mouthed to Chanyeol, “I’ll finish you before this day ends, Big Rat!”

 

And the Big Rat replied, “You’re welcome.” That answer is so Park Chanyeol.

 

The following week after the fumigation, a list was posted by Sir Yunho. By the way, Sir Yunho is the one in charge of the interns. He’s also my direct supervisor in the department I’m in. He makes the schedule and all necessary arrangements for the training of each one of us. He’s very strict when there’s a need but most of the time he is a fun supervisor who jokes with us especially when his big boss is not around. He’s a really cool guy, Sir Yunho. Oh, and did I mention to you that he’s still in his 20s? Yepp, he’s still young and extremely handsome too. But don’t get me wrong. I don’t like him like him. And I can’t like him like him because someone has already stolen my heart. Who? Just read on and you’ll know. *winks*

 

The list showed our next departments. Of course I looked mine first and I was happy that it wasn’t changed. I’ll definitely be in Cost Control. I looked for Kyungsoo and Soojung’s next. They’re in the same department! I was so happy for them. But then I saw another name appear together with them. And as if on cue, that person walked inside our department.

 

“Is that the list?” Chanyeol asked. I nodded and asked him, “why are you here? It’s not yet break time.” But he didn’t answer me. Instead, he immediately went in front of the list to check it. He gone a bit dramatic, which was kind of awkward and cute at the same time. He closed his eyes, touched his heart and breathed heavily before looking for his name. When he found it, his mouth fell open and his expression became like that of someone who had lost everything. He went down on the floor, sat with his back and head on the wall. He looked heartbroken. He was placed in the same department as Kyungsoo and Soojung, which he didn’t approve of, but I don’t think his devastating reaction was necessary at all. And also, the last say is really not on us, the interns, but on Sir Yunho. And speaking of Sir Yunho, he entered the office right on time while Chanyeol was doing his dramatic act in front of me.

 

“What happened to you?” Chanyeol was surprised when he heard Sir Yunho’s voice. He immediately stood and straightened up like nothing happened. He kept his head low only because of embarrassment. I, on the other hand, was trying to suppress my laughter because of what I just witnessed. Good thing, I had a reason to leave the room when Sir Yunho asked me to do an errand for him to another department.

 

When I was about to go back to my department, after the errand, I saw Chanyeol going back to his which was in the kitchen. He smiled lightly at me but his eyes did not show any sign of happiness at all. I’ve never seen him that down before and of course I wondered why, but I never bothered to ask him.

 

When I entered the office, Sir Yunho looked at me differently. He smiled while telling me that someone wants to join me in the Cost Control Department.

 

“Sir?” I asked in confusion. He then reiterated what he just said slowly, “I said someone wants to be in the same department as you. Unfortunately though, the department only needs one intern so it might not be possible for the two of you to be together.”

 

“May I know who, Sir?” I was eagerly waiting for his answer but the telephone line was not in the mood to cooperate. There were 3 telephones in our office, and all of them rang at the same time. We answered each and soon, just after a few minutes, everyone was busy again. I never get to hear the answer from Sir Yunho. But I found out days after who it was because that person told me directly about his decision.

 

It’s not unusual at all to see Chanyeol in our department every single day. But it was unusual to see him talking to Sir Yunho for almost half an hour everyday during that week before his transfer of department. Yepp, he’ll be transferring departments 2 weeks ahead of me. It’s kind of complicated to explain how the schedule works so I’ll not pass on to you the mess and confusion anymore.

 

I couldn’t hear their conversation that clearly because almost always the door is closed when the two of them talks. Not that I eavesdrop on some of the conversations Sir Yunho holds with the others, intentionally.

 

Everytime their conversation will end and Chanyeol will leave the department to go back to his, Sir Yunho will always have that same smile on his face like he did on the day he posted the list. While Chanyeol on the other hand, will always have that disappointed face like he did on the day he saw the list.

 

On the week of his transfer, I received a text message from him early in the morning.

 

[Park Chanyeol]

Gayeon-ie, where are you now?

 

[Song Gayeon]

I’m in the bus going to the hotel. Why ask?

 

[Park Chanyeol]

 I thought you might be in the hotel already. Where is the bus now exactly? Come here fast please.

 

[Song Gayeon]

Oh my goodness, why are you early? I’m still 3 bus stations away and it’s kind of traffic so I don’t know.

 

[Park Chanyeol]

I need to settle something. Gayeon-ah, I’m feeling nervous. I need you here now.

 

[Song Gayeon]

Ohh that sounds serious. You’re just going to transfer departments, what’s there to be nervous about?

 

[Park Chanyeol]

We might not be in the same department, that’s what I’m nervous about.

 

[Song Gayeon]

We? What’s your transferring got to do with me?

 

That’s when it hit me, he was the person Sir Yunho was talking about. Park Chanyeol is the one who wanted to transfer in the same department as me. I arrived in our department, and I saw them talking already. I, myself, is getting nervous too for no apparent reason. It’s impossible for Chanyeol to still change his department that time because it was supposed to be his first day at the restaurant outlet. But I don’t know what kind of prayer or ritual he did that made the impossible possible. After a week of persuasion and reasoning to Sir Yunho and to the Cost Control Department, his wish was granted.

 

That was the first time I saw him grinning after coming out of Sir Yunho’s office. I looked at him weirdly but he just smiled at me like the idiot he was and went out of our department skipping like a happy kangaroo.

 

“Look at that boy, the word ‘impossible’ is not even in his vocabulary.” I jolted when I heard Sir Yunho talking beside me. He too was grinning like Chanyeol. “Two weeks from now you’ll be spending your whole day with him in Cost Control. He must be so excited.” He laughed lightly as he went back to his cozy little office.

 

-----

 

I finally bid goodbye to my first department. It was time to say hello to my new one. I was more than excited because I kept hearing from Chanyeol how amazing the people in our department are which was contradicting to what our other co-interns have said before. He also said that he already introduced me to them and that they can’t wait to meet me.

 

With a smile on my face, I opened the door of my new department and there I saw young people looking back at me with a not-so-welcoming-face, including Chanyeol.

 

“What are you doing here? And who are you?” one of the guys asked. I suddenly felt shivers run down my spine. This isn’t what I had pictured in my mind. I thought that maybe Chanyeol only fooled me with his happy stories when in fact he might actually be suffering here like hell. Maybe he did that because he didn’t want me to suddenly change my department and leave him staying there longer than he asked for. Maybe this was his revenge. But revenge for what? Did I do something to him that made him this mad, to the extent that he’ll persuade everyone just so he can push through with whatever torturing plan he has for me? I was seriously in panic mode that time.

 

“Hey, our supervisor is asking you a question. Answer him.” Chanyeol finally spoke. But he wasn’t the Happy Virus Chanyeol that I came to know.

 

“I..I..My name is Song Gayeon…” I was stuttering like an idiot who was still learning how to speak. I couldn’t form any proper sentences and my heart was beating so fast like it’s going to explode from fear. My whole body was trembling and my hands and feet were starting to feel so cold. I thought of running away and never come back there. But I saw the Big Rat (yes, he really looked like a big rat to me at that time because I was getting mad at him for lying) walking towards me and I couldn’t get my feet to move a step away. He held my hand and immediately let go when he felt its coldness.

 

“Did you bathe in ice? Why is your hand that cold?” He asked me worriedly. His expression suddenly became soft. I still looked directly in his eyes with my serious (and slightly scared face) and answered, “Nope. I took a bath inside a freezer.”

 

With that everyone burst into laughter, including Yeol the Big Rat. He sprawled on the tiled-floor, his head moving all over the place, his big hands smacking the wall near him from too much laughter. The rest of the people inside were clapping their hands so much while swaying their body back and forth. There were even two guys pushing each other already because they couldn’t control their laughter. I was totally lost. I stood there like a statue watching all those people change from scary monsters to crazy clowns. After minutes of nonstop laughter (I wanted to laugh too but I couldn’t because of all the mixed feelings inside of me that time) Chanyeol got up and stood beside me. With his deep, husky and loud voice he introduced me to everyone.

 

“Everyone, I would like you to meet my awesome co-intern Song Gayeon,” and they all clapped their hands with beautiful smiles on their young faces. The atmosphere turned from hell to heaven. They apologized for the prank and explained that it’s a tradition in their department. They even shared how Chanyeol reacted on his first day when that prank was pulled on him. Each of them introduced themselves warmly and even gave me a welcoming treat. Thank goodness it was only a show because if not, I would have really fallen on the floor and acted like I fainted just to avoid the horrifying atmosphere I felt from the start.

 

So many things happened that first week of mine in the new department. One of them was their usual teasing between me and Chanyeol. Actually their target is only Chanyeol whereas I’m only being used as an objective of his supposed to be affection. The tease is about Chanyeol liking me, in case you want to know. And everytime the guys in the department say it, Yeol will always answer, “that’s not true. I don’t like her like that,” in front of me. But I could care less because we’re good friends anyway. And I know that it’s their only way to annoy the ever so naughty Chanyeol. In all fairness, it works really well on making him shut up.

 

Chanyeol was the one in charge of helping me familiarize myself with how the things work around because that was supposedly his last week there. But after my first day, he asked me to accompany him to Sir Yunho to ask for permission if he could stay for one more week.  The Cost Control Department already approved of it and so it was easy enough for Sir Yunho to say ‘yes’ once again to Chanyeol’s request. Yeol does know how to talk to people. It’s a talent, I tell you!

 

But during my first week, an unexpected event had occurred. The Concierge is in need of male interns to attend to the guests coming in for a big summit. The hotel was fully booked for 3 consecutive days because of it. And so they decided to get one male intern from the different departments. Both me and Chanyeol were in panic mode when we heard about it. He then again tried to talk to Sir Yunho if he could be spared saying that he didn’t want to leave me alone with all the busy work since I was just starting. I do agree with him on that but I felt embarrassed already because everytime he’ll approach Sir Yunho and appeal about something, the reason will always be about me.

 

“Chanyeol, I’m really not in the mood to listen to your appeal right now because of this sudden request from another department. I’ll just text you if anything changes. But as of now, the decision is that you’ll be in Concierge tomorrow.”

 

We both left the hotel with a sad heart. But I tried to be the brighter one this time so that I could comfort him. I kept on smiling like the usual even though his sad expression doesn’t change one bit.

 

“Will you be fine tomorrow?” he asked.

 

“Of course!” I lied and he could sense it.

 

The following day, I went to the hotel as if I’m ready to face a battle alone. I had myself ready for the worst. But when I entered our department I was surprised when I saw Chanyeol standing on his usual spot. He smiled at me like he always does. We didn’t need any words, our smiles are enough. Another answered prayer indeed.

 

On my second week in the department (his last week in it), he received an urgent call from Sir Yunho saying that he has to transfer to his 3rd department immediately. And by immediately he meant the next day.

 

“I’m sorry Chanyeol but I can’t accept any appeal from you regarding this because it’s really urgent. I hope you understand,” were Sir Yunho’s final words to him before they hung up the phone.

 

After that phone call, Chanyeol tried not to think about his last day in our department. He just made the most out of his stay there, and that includes being with me. I tried to sneak out during lunch so that I could make a farewell letter for him, something I actually planned on doing but not as early and spontaneously as that. I wrote it quickly but with every bit of message I wanted to tell him. When he came back at the department, he was pissed off because he thought I’d return to the cafeteria. I didn’t explain my side anymore and instead handed to him the letter I freshly wrote.

 

“What’s this?” still a bit grumpy.

 

“It’s a letter, you idiot!” I said it with a smile though.

 

“Should I read it?” starting to calm down.

 

“NO! You should tear it to pieces! Why, of course you should read it.” I was the one who almost burst.

 

I did not directly tell him to read it ‘now’ at that moment but he did anyway. And it was nice to see his face smiling and giving out a few laughs as he was reading every line out loud for me to hear. Well I didn't need to hear it because I was the one who wrote it, duh idiot Park Chanyeol. But thank goodness we were the only ones inside the office that time. I was spared for such an embarrassing farewell letter reading.

 

“With all these things I’ve said, there’s only one point I would like to make. I’m so blessed to have someone like you as my friend. Thank you my Virus Found, Park Chanyeol.”

 

Those were the last lines of my farewell letter to the man who made me part of some of his bizarre decisions in his internship life.