Part VIII

Of Unexpected Expectations

The very next Monday, he was sent to school by their service cars. The other bodyguards he has had been roaming outside the school building. Media men were swarming outside the school gate and some students are crowding over the entrance as well to wait for him. Those things and that sight made him want to skip classes and lock himself on his room, but he has no choice because his father will surely ask him thousand more questions as to why he would skip classes.

During their Math class, Fei was not anymore sitting beside him. She took the front desk, nearest the door. For some reasons he was relieved because after that incident at the party, it would be awkward. But then, he was somehow guilty for leaving her there with no other words. It was confusing as well as those two emotions battle over his head.

For the whole week, he had been so bored since right after his last class he would be immediately fetched then straight home. His father didn’t invite him anymore on any public appearances or charity events to avoid any unnecessary commotions. That one proved to be very nice news that made him relax for a bit.

For the whole duration of his free time, he would just stay in his four walled room. He would read books, listen to music, watch some movies or games, or sleep. That had been going on for the next days. They would call him or message him, but he would ignore those. Fei had been doing the same, but he ignored even her messages. Regarding Jia, the last time they had been communicating was during that chat. It was never followed by any calls or message. Even her e-mail had been off as well no matter how much he kept his e-mail on the whole duration of being grounded.

It was Sunday and he looks so tired and bored as hell. He was contemplating whether to call anyone of them when his phone rang. It was Xiumin. He picked up the call.

“Ne?” he answered.

“It’s been a while Mister Huang Zi Tao. So how about gracing us an appearance at the studio?” Xiumin said over the line.

“Sure, right now?” he replied.

“Later, one in the afternoon. I already informed your mother and even your father and they agreed,” he said.

“They really gave permission? Don’t fool around baozi,” he said, finding it hard to believe.

“Yeah, so be there,” he said then ended the call.

He stared at his phone, blinking furiously as he tries to digest just what Xiumin had said. His phone suddenly rang again. This time, it’s Chen.

“Yo Nation’s First Son! Are you up for a get together by one at the studio?” he said without even greeting the said guy.

“Xiumin had informed me already,” he replied.

“Xiumin? But I haven’t called him yet. I only got to call Luhan and he said I would be the one to contact him. But then you said he invited you so I would not call him. Be there ok?” then the call was ended.

‘Talk about organizing things and they can’t even cooperate properly,’ he thought as he moves to take a shower and talk to his mother regarding that said ‘get together.’

**********

He arrived there quite early, quarter before one in the afternoon. He knows the code of the studio so he went inside only to see the lights on and looks like someone is already inside ahead of him from the clatter in the bar. He moved further inside and saw Fei with her back on him, making something at Xiumin’s kitchen.

“Kris, don’t you have any wine in here? I can’t find it here anywhere in the cupboards,” Fei said and turned to look at him. She was startled, “Oh, I thought you’re Kris,” she said and avoided his eyes.

“The wine is on the third cupboard,” he said and moved to get to the couch.

The clatter soon stops, “I’m sorry, I was being rude and being stupid during the party,” she said, filling in the silence.

He did not reply since he is at loss for words as well.

“I should have known that I don’t stand a chance on you. I was being stupid to even think that you would feel the same way as I feel for you,” she added after the silence.

The silence that stretched soon filled the room with an awkward atmosphere. He was battling whether to reply or not but then he is at loss for what he would say in the first place.

Just when the silence seems unbearable, he sighed in relief when Chen, Lay, Luhan and Kris got inside.

“Oh, you are early!” Chen jumped on the couch near him.

“Fei! You are early too?” Luhan greeted the lady behind the bar counter as he places some food they bought atop it.

She gave a polite nod then moved to continue whatever she is doing on the mini kitchen. Luhan and Chen exchanged knowing looks.

Sooner, the room is ringing with Chen and Luhan’s laughter as Kris stands beside Lay and watches him play the piano. Fei is sitting at the bar counter while Tao stayed on the couch trying to listen at the conversation of the two beside him.

“Where’s Xiumin?” Luhan asked Tao.

“I don’t know. He was the one who called me to get in here, now he is being tardy,” he replied.

“Hey, who among you called Xiumin and informed him about this get together?” Chen asked the others.

“I thought I made it clear that you will be the one calling the others,” Kris replied.

“Yeah, but when I called Tao, he said Xiumin informed him already,” Chen replied.

Just as everything started to get confusing, there was a doorbell. Chen did the honor of getting the door.

All of them waited in anticipation. Chen came inside afterwards followed by a lady, “Guys, we have a visitor,” he said and gestured over the lady.

“Hello!” The lady happily waved and greeted.

No one moved as they try to recognize whoever this girl could be.

“You don’t remember me already?” she pouted.

“Jia?”

It was Tao who stood up and asked.

“Am I too beautiful that none of you recognized me? Of course it is me, Jia!” she pouted even more.

All of their eyes widened in recognition before each moves to give her a welcome hug.