Part VII

Of Unexpected Expectations

He had been in their Math room together with the others. They learned the bad news and everyone sympathizes on him which annoys him. The security was doubled that there are four men outside for his so called protection. There had been also a commotion at the school gate earlier as they try to ask him and all regarding the news. So far, none of the boys asked him who could the girl be, but then each has an inkling of who could it be.

“Where’s Fei?” Chen asked.

“She will be here shortly,” Kris replied as Tao let out a tired sigh.

“KRIS!” Fei called from the door. She soon joined them.

“Hey, Dad’s throwing a party tonight. I am inviting all of you,” Tao said and handed each an invitation.

“I am sorry,” Fei looked at him but he dismissed it.

“I was persistent so it is my fault; what matter the most is that you are safe,” he smiled at her.

“I will be expecting all of you in there,” then he stood up and grabbed his bag.

“Where are you going?” Xiumin asked.

“Getting home to prepare,” then with a wink, he left them there.

**********
 

The party was simple yet grand. The cabinet members and their family were the only invited people and Tao was so glad to see his friends and Fei.

“Hey there!” he greeted them. His gloomy expression was soon replaced with a happy one.

“I thought you guys will not come. I am so bored and annoyed by these people,” he added after giving Fei a hug.

“Let’s enjoy the night then,” Chen said as everyone grabs a drink from the passing waiter.

There are occasional ladies who would try for him but then it would be his friends who will entertain them. He was just startled when Fei pulled him out discreetly on a corner, away from the guards’ eyes. He caught that wink Chen and Luha gave him as she leads him furthermore to a secluded place.

“Is this your first time in here or you had been in here countless times?”

Humor is present in his voice when they stopped on a secluded area, near the large doors.

“Tao, I’m really, really sorry,” she started, suddenly feeling nervous.

“I already told you, its fine with me. Forget about it, what matter most is that you are safe,” he smiled at her.

“Come on, let’s go back. They might look for me,” he tried to pull her, but she resisted.

“Fei, what’s wrong?”

“I am the one at fault in here. I should not have accepted your offer. I was too careless to think that nothing would happen. I should be the one to be blamed, not you.  If I – “

“I already told you that it is fine with me. It has nothing to do with you. Stop these repetitive words and let’s get back to the party hall. They might suspect something already,” then he his heels and started to walk but he stopped when she spoke again.

“I think I am in love with you.”

He gave her a sideways glance but then he proceeded to get back to the party hall as tears starts to brim in her eyes.

Sooner, the boys started to arrive one by one, stopping midway as they saw Fei shaking from sobs as she covers her face. It was Xiumin who stepped forward first, “What happened?” he asked.

“I am such a loser! I should’ve think twice that he will never look at me the way I want him,” she sobbed.

All of them stood there, unsure of what would they do to comfort her.

“Sometimes, Tao can be as dense as uranium and such a pain in the as well,” Kris said as he moves to get and comfort the crying lady with a hug.