Part V

Of Unexpected Expectations

The quarter exam finally had been set and Fei doubled her effort to help him review on the pointers. When the quarters exams finally started, all of them are busy scanning their notes for review and would always stay silent and just study whenever they gather at the studio.

When the fateful day came, Tao was so scared to take the test. Math is scheduled as the last exam for the quarters. He finally made it through the week and was glad that some of the equations for his Math subject were similar to what they had been studying. Although he passed his paper last, he was sure he would make it at least for a C or a B-.

His friends are all waiting for him outside when he got out the room.

“The Nation’s Son finally emerged unscathed from the room!” Chen exclaimed, giving Luhan a high five.

“How was the exam?” Xiumin asked.

“It’s fine. I just hope I get past C- this time,” he sighed as his guards follow the six of them.

“How about getting some drinks?” Lay offered.

“That would be nice so we can all wind out. Exams are over anyways,” Kris agreed and led the way.

**********

The VIP room they had is filled with the muffled music playing on the dance floor and Lay, Luhan, Chen and Xiumin’s laughter. Kris is busy on his phone, texting whoever while Tao is fidgeting on his phone deciding if he should call Fei or not.

An unregistered number started to call him, startling him a bit. He picked up the call.

“Hello?” he asked.

“Panda?”

There could only be one person in the world who would call him by that name.

“Jia?”

Kris looked at him as his eyes widened.

“Yeah, how are you? You haven’t been mailing me,” she whined on the other line.

The immense feeling of longing filled him by just hearing her voice. Something painful tugged his heart as he felt the pooling tears on his eyes.

“Just a minute,” then he ended the call. He left the room and moved to get out, straight to the rooftop before he calls her.

“Wae? Where are you?” she asked after picking the call.

“I am with the boys, in the club,” he replied.

“Finished with the quarter exams already?” she asked.

“Yeah,” then there was silence.

“How are you?” her voice is almost a whisper.

“I miss you, so much,” he replied not anymore holding back the tears that flooded down his eyes.

“Yah! You are making me cry again!” she exclaimed but her voice is shaking and she sniffed as well.

They just stayed there, crying their hearts out while listening to the other’s cry over the other line.

“I miss you more, and I love you,” she after their crying moment.

“I love you too. When will you be back?” he asked.

“Sooner or later, I am not sure.”

The silence that ensued after that made him sighs in defeat. Then he heard the beep saying that she ended the call.

**********

By Monday, everyone crowded over the bulletin board to check the topnotchers on the previous quarter exams. Tao squeezed on his way to get there, thankful that most of the students don’t mind that he is the Nation’s First Son. He checked his name starting from the bottom. He went past his other friend’s name. He started to get uneasy when he can’t see his name right after fifteen. Before he was part of the top twenty, ranking either sixteen or seventeen, now he traced up wishing he could see his name. He was surprised to see his name written in big bold letters right next to the number ten. Kris and Luhan were just few steps ahead of him, seventh and fifth respectively.

‘I am part of the top ten?’ he thought stepping back that when he finally gets out of the crowd, he rushed to give his friends a manly hug.

“I made it to the top ten!” he exclaimed as the others exchanged looks then he went past them to get to Fei, wherever she is.

Luhan let out a frustrated sigh as he hands Chen the money for losing the bet.

**********

A bright red A+ smiles up at him when he receives his paper from their Math exam. Fei is beaming at him on his side as they compare their answers. Fei had a few errors but nevertheless, she is thankful that he made it.

“So can I ask you out so I can treat you for tutoring me?” he asked as they are about to get outside.

She looked back at him, blushing, “No need. What matter the most is that you made it,” she avoided his eyes

“No! I insist! We will go out right after class. I will flee from my guards,’ he grinned wickedly.

Thinking she can’t run away from him, she just agreed.

By around dismissal in the afternoon, she moved out of her last class. As she is getting to her locker, a hand pulled her on a corner, pinning her on the wall, a hand covering .

“Let’s use the other exit. Kris will let us use his black motorcycle. My guards think I will be going to his place and that he will send me back to my unit. No need to worry about them since they are probably on their way to my unit,” he whispered.

She recognized the voice and just nodded her head. He removed his hand and held her hand to use the said other exit.

When they are out, he handed her the spare helmet as he puts on his. He started the said vehicle and soon they are exiting the campus.

It was a very cool ride. She tightens her hold on his waist as they zoomed past those cars and buildings, loving the feeling of holding him this way. They stopped in front of a small bubble tea shop located on a corner, hidden from the highway.

“Bubble tea?” she asked after getting down, removing her helmet.

“Luhan gege’s habit of drinking bubble tea rubbed off on all of us. They also have the best cakes in here,” he smiled, removing his helmet as well.

“But they may see and recognize you,” Fei looked at him.

“Nope, the owner already knows who I am so no need to get worried,” he replied, reaching for her hand again before getting inside.

They stayed there till six in the evening. He even ordered a cake for her mother.

“I will send you home, come on,” he said after getting the box of cake.

He tied the box on the handle and got on first after putting on his helmet before she got behind him. He started the engine and zoomed on the night street. He slowed down, marveling over the sight the lights have to offer. When they got on her place, he parked near the gate and waited for her to get down. She handed him back the helmet, “Thank you, I really enjoyed even though we just have to stay in there. It was fun,” she said.

He handed her the box, removing the helmet so she can hear him, “You’re welcome, besides I owe you because you helped me get to the top ten,” the smiled at her.

The night shadowed her blushing face as she returns the gesture. She opened the gate, but before she gets inside, she made a quick move to get near him, kissing her on the cheeks and rushed to get inside after quickly locking their gate. A smile graced his lips as he puts on his helmet before heading back to his unit. He gets to Kris’s place and returns the said vehicle, asking the older one to send him to his unit which he complied.

He immediately fell on a deep slumber.

**********

The light seeping from his curtains woke him up. He stretched and pulled himself. He doesn’t have any classes not till later in the afternoon. He moved out of his bed and gets to the shower. After showering, he the TV to catch any news and just something to fill the silence which threatens to make him sleepy.

The glaring headlines caught his attention, making him freeze from his place, dropping the towel and the remote.

The Nation’s First Son goes out on a date with his girlfriend

The pictures that flashed were all stolen shot of his mini escapade with Fei. He was relieved that the paparazzi were not able to capture her face or it will be a total issue. But then, he will be the talk of the whole campus for days and probably weeks. The ringing of his phone made him divert his attention. There was a ridiculous 68 missed calls but when he checked, all were from his father. When his phone rings again, he picked it up.

 “Dad?” he asked, feeling fear to gnaw at his whole being.

“We need to talk.” Then the call was ended.

That was enough to make him slump his shoulder in defeat as he prepares whatever wrath his father has in store for him regarding this issue. ‘So much for getting to the top ten and being the Nation’s First Son,’ he thought as he moves to get dressed so he can meet his father.