Part IV

Of Unexpected Expectations

Their session continued every evening of the weekdays. Tao’s friends were surprised to see him excel in some of their quizzes which somehow gave him the chance to boast about his papers. Occasionally, Fei would then be with them at the studio.

“Hey, how’s Fei?” Chen asked Tao once when they are lounging again at the studio. Fei was not anywhere in sight since she has to help Professor Cha at narrowing down the items for the upcoming quarter exam.

“Why? Is she sick or what?” concern flicked over Tao’s face.

Chen let out a chuckle, “No, I mean how she appeals to you as a woman,” then laughs again.

He gave the laughing older on a glare and focused on solving their homework which will be due tomorrow.

Luhan, Lay and Xiumin arrived after a while, bringing along some food which made the younger one look up in glee.

As they are enjoying their lunch, Kris arrived together with Fei. The two looks so close and laughs together at something the others can’t hear. Chen noted the narrowing of the younger’s eyes on the two who joined them. Chen whispered what he saw on Luhan who agreed on his words.

“Hey, have you finished the homework?” Fei asked Tao across the table.

“Yeah, you can check it after lunch,” he replied as he enjoys the cold champagne which Xiumin insisted.

When everyone gets to their own corners, Fei and Tao discussed the so-called homework on the center table since she can’t come over for their session by evening.

“Where are you going?” Tao asked as Fei checks on his solutions.

“My mother is sick and I have to tend to her,” she replied without looking up at him.

“Can I send you home?” he asked again.

That’s when she looked up at him and caught that blush that colored his face. It looks so adorable, making him look so child like. She can’t help it that she reached out and squished both his cheeks, “You are so cute when you blush,” she squealed.

He removed her hands on his face, all the more making him crimson, “Forget about that. Are you done checking that? I need to get home already,” then moved to get on the couch, busying himself on packing his things.

“Come on! I am just kidding. I though you want to send me home,” she pouted.

“Change of plans,” he replied, still avoiding her.

She pouted on him, faking some sniffing sounds. When he was done packing up, he reached for his homework, but she did not hand it over. “You will send me home then I will give this to you,” she moved to get up, showing him the paper.

He stood up and reached for the paper but she moved a step back and the next thing they knew they are running around the studio. She is determined to let him send her home that is why she tried her best to make him agree first.

“Fine! I will send you home, just give me that,” he finally stopped.

“I will give this when we are already outside our gate,” she grinned, folding the paper and slipped it on her pocket.

“Yah! You are crumpling it!” he exclaimed, glaring at her who is just smiling at back at him.

“You can rewrite it anyways. Let’s go?” she offered, getting to her things to pack up.

“I’ll wait for you outside. Don’t worry I will not run since you have my homework.”

The moment he left, she started packing, oblivious of Chen and Luhan who are exchanging whispers on the latter’s corner.

“I told you, there’s something between them,” Chen stated, over the frowning Luhan.

“I can conclude that it is a one sided love. I don’t think Tao had recovered from the Jia Syndrome,” Luhan said.

“Oh, you are probably aware of the symptoms of being in love, like those blushing and agreeing in the end on whatever she wants,” Chen tapped the elder’s shoulder.

“You are using those meager showcases of behavior as signs already? They might be natural body responses,” Luhan looked up at him.

“You mean you would also blush when you would ask a girl to give you the permission to send her home?”

Luhan pondered about the statement, “Nope, I might blush when I happen to like her.” That made him sit straight, “You mean, Tao likes Fei?” he exclaimed.

Chen immediately looked up but Fei is already out.

“I think you two will make abet again. Stop that whatever you two are thinking,” Kris glared at the two who just grinned back at him.

**********

All the way to Fei’s house, he sat silently on his seat. She gave the driver the address as they head to the place. It was after a few minutes when they stopped on a very neat one-block house. You may say it looks like some kind of too small for a family, but then looks like Fei is not anywhere intimidated of their place.

“Thank you,” she fished for the paper on her bag and handed it back to him, “I actually saved the real paper in my notebook. I know how you hate your papers to be crumpled and good job! You got it all right!” she smiled at him as he receives the paper. She made a bow of gratitude on the driver and Tao’s bodyguard in the front seat.

She went inside their small yard but before she can close the gate, he called for her. “Fei!”

She turned around to see him running up to their small gate which reaches just at the chest level. He handed her a brown paper bag. “Here, I don’t know what disease or ailment your mother is suffering from as of now, so I just bought something for her to eat. Wish her for me to get well sooner,” then ran back to the car even before she can reply.

A faint smile graced her lips as she felt her heart thump loudly against her chest, blood attacking her cheeks.