Chapter 3

Reasons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door closed gently behind her as she entered the apartment. Hani just got back from visiting her parents' house, accompanied by Daehyun whom she just said goodbye to before she entered the building. She had to assure him that she was okay, even if she knew that she wasn't. But he didn't seem convinced at all. At least he gave her some space when she told him that she didn't want to talk about it.

On the way home, Hani thought about how she would face the two people that were already there. She wondered if she would ever look at them the same way again after learning that they had hidden something from her all this while. She felt a painful feeling in her heart as she thought about the reason why they would keep this from her. She couldn't deny that she felt very much betrayed.

It was already in the evening when she reached home. After taking her shoes off at the door, she let her feet take her wherever they wanted, leading her to their small living room, where a familiar figure sat on the sofa, watching a re-run of a soccer match on the television. When she neared him, she noticed that his eyes were shut and he was letting out soft snores. She studied him carefully with a lot of thoughts running through her head.

Does he really know?

Hani froze when the sleeping boy stirred, lifting his eyelids afterwards. He scanned his surroundings before settling his eyes on her.

"You're back?" he said. His voice was raspy from sleeping.

"Yeah," she simply replied.

"How was it?" he asked, "You visited your parents, right? That's what I heard from your conversation with Daehyun." Hyung, Hani completed his sentence in her head. She inwardly shook her head at the younger's lack of manners. But she quickly returned back to the matter at hand.

"Jungkook, what do you know about me?" she asked, making him raise his eyebrows at the unsuspecting question.

"Huh?" Jungkook blurted out as he was confused.

"Tell me all you know about me," Hani commanded.

"Oh, umm..." Jungkook muttered. He was having difficulty in thinking of things to say because he just woke up.

Hani watched him as he sleepily rubbed his eyes and patiently waited for his answer. Does he really know about my parents? she thought. She was still unsure of how she would feel if he really did know and had been hiding it from her. But she would definitely be relieved if he didn't know and she secretly wished for that.

"Your name's Park Hani," Jungkook started, "You live here, you go to the same school as me, your least favourite colour is brown so that's why you hate our school uniform, you like strawberry flavoured ice cream, you have the weirdest taste in guys, you're kinda hot-tempered sometimes and you're always throwing stuff at me and-"

"Stop!" Hani said when she realised that he wasn't giving her the answer that she wanted. "I meant about my past. What do you know about my past?"

Jungkook stared at her with his mouth slightly opened. He furrowed his brows, trying to think about the question he received.

"Well uhh... You had a friend, which is Daehyun," he said, taking short pauses to choose his words carefully, "And umm... Your dad was forced to leave you at the amusement park because your mom wanted to get rid of you. That's all I know."

Hani stared at him, attentively analyzing every word he said.

 

"You know something, don't you?" she asked him with a shaky voice. She was almost convinced by him. But she was aware of one detail that seemed a bit off. He stared at her, appearing to act innocent. But Hani was not easily persuaded. "I don't remember mentioning that my mom forced my dad to leave me."

Jungkook was caught off guard for a moment and widened his eyes. Hani felt pain in her chest when she realised that it was true that he knew about her. He had betrayed her. She felt like a knife was stabbed into her back now that she caught him.

"What are you hiding from me?" she asked him, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Noona... I'm sorry," he said in a soothing voice. But it did nothing to mend Hani's broken heart.

"What else do you know?" Hani said, ignoring his apology. She only wanted the truth from him and nothing else. Her trust in him had vanished entirely.

"I'm sorry, but he told us to not say anything to you," Jungkook spoke up. Hani felt like giving up her soul right then as she was exhausted from the lack of answers she had been trying to get all day. She held back the tears that threatened to fall and told herself to calm down.

"Why?!" she demanded, unable to withstand the stinging feeling in her heart, "Why would you keep this from me?! I trusted you! You should know that this is important to me!"

"I intended to tell you, okay?" Jungkook said in a calm tone to avoid upsetting her more, "But he came yesterday. And he didn't want me to say anything to you because he was gonna talk to you himself."

"So you just kept quiet because he told you to?!"

"What else was I supposed to do?!" Jungkook burst out, "I'd prefer shutting myself up than watch you cry when I tell you the reason why your mom hates you so much!"

"..."

The moment after that was silent. Jungkook had crossed the line with his harsh words that struck Hani's heart like a sharp arrow that pierced through her flesh.

"I know," she said, her voice trembling, "I know that she hates me, but you didn't have to rub it in!" Her tears finally slid down her cheeks. She had been holding herself back for a long time and now she decided to let it all out. "Do you even know what it feels like to be unwanted by your own parents?!"

"At least both your parents are still alive," Jungkook muttered under his breath. But Hani caught it.

"How can you even say that?" she said, unable to believe that he just used that against her. However, her expression softened when she saw the sorrow look on his face.

Hani didn't know how close he was with his father because she had never met him, but Mrs. Jeon loved to tell stories about the both of them. They had always done things together; eat, play, sleep. Basically everything. They loved each other very much and nothing can be compared to the father and son bond that they had. He passed away a year before they met Hani due to an incident that occurred while he was at work. He was a great fireman, and Jungkook had always dreamed of becoming just like his father one day. But on an unfortunate day, the fire had spread more rapidly than anyone expected. All exits were blocked and a group of firemen were trapped inside the building. They hosed down the fire eventually, but it was too late. The firemen became unconscious due to lack of oxygen. Mrs. Jeon had told her how depressed Jungkook was after they found out about his father's death and how he wouldn't come out of his room for days.

"It's unfair if you say that," Hani spoke up. She seated herself next to the boy, remembering how he would turn silent every time he was reminded of his father. "He loved you," she continued, "But I'm in a completely different situation here."

"I'm sorry," Jungkook said, startling Hani with the random apology, "I should've told you everything. I didn't realise that you care so much about this. I'm sorry, Noona."

Hani looked at him and her heart softened when she noticed the sincerity in his eyes. She cherished him as a broth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter