Club Members

Look At Me, Sunbae!

5 | Club Members

 

     My eyes bounced between every clock I found within my vicinity. The lecture was going nowhere - or rather, I had lost where we were - and I realised that my focus on the ticking of time had long blurred out the lecturer's echoing voice. Exceptions take priority though! Today...was the promised day. 

 

I made sure to check on my hair and slide in a breath mint before I took my first steps inside. The overlapping sound of numerous balls bouncing across the court really left its' impression - I was certain the noise would be resonating in my head all night. As I walked down alongside the outside court line, I began taking in the view of the warm up drill - a sight I'd likely get used to quickly too. Some third years I vaguely recognised from two days earlier acknowleged my presence and I gave them my full respect, politely nodding as I made my way towards Seoyoon noona.

An indistinct shout came from behind and before I was able to complete a turn of the head, the sly basketball was already under my foot and I tripped uglily to the ground, practically doing the splits. The tumble sent all eyes on me and the abrupt silence stained my pride. Two minutes in and I'd already embarrassed myself. As I collected my scattered pens, a figure appeared beside me and I tilted my gaze up. A smaller sized palm was outstretched before my face and I tilted my gaze higher. The unmistakable orbs were glancing into mine and it seemed like my soul temporarily left my body for a moment of incandescent bliss. When it returned, I realised those very eyes were still looking at me. 

"Are you alright?" He laughed lightly, teasing at my current state but still waiting politely for me to take his hand. 

I swallowed whatever was left in my mouth and reached out to take his offer, possibly choking on the breath mint from earlier as our hands touched. The extra grip his fingers applied to help lift me to my feet seemed to constrict me internally. I believe I just stood there reliving the moment again and again long after he had let go, staring down at my hand and having my skin tingle where his had come into contact. I wasn't sure whether or not I should've turned around and gave the player who dropped the ball earlier a massive hug for granting me my public stunt. Before I knew it, Yoongi had tilted his head to look at me from a lower angle. My eyes caught the image of his face in front of mine, and I honestly wondered if I was dreaming - a year of secret crushing and this was the first time I had ever seen his features up so close. I browsed over his cute light brown hair style, with fringe hair that swayed over a certain pair of sparkling orbs that slayed my heart.

I noticed his eyes transition into what seemed like an expression of concern. Come to think of it, how long had I been standing there staring without response?

"Taehyung? Taehyung!" I finally registered the sounds of his voice once again. 

"Y-yes! Yoongi-sunbae...?" I could still only manage a mumble for that last part. 

He leaned in gently. "Are you sure you're okay? I said your name like seven times." 

"You did...?" My heart skipped a beat. Was it honestly still beating at this point? I had no idea anymore. "Uh, I mean- I'm sorry. I just had a blank moment." Compose yourself Taehyung! Just...breathe... "It's nice to meet you, Yoongi-sunbae. Please take care of me from now on." I bowed. 

When I reverted the arch of my back, I was welcomed by his smile. My body seemed to freeze up again. 

Caution: organ in left chest suffering from unexpected malfunction. Source of error: unkno-

"Taehyung, since you're only a temporary vice president, we'll probably get you to do more manager duties while you're here with us. That means making sure the equipment's all ready, notifying team members of club schedules, maintaining the gym, stuff like that. Don't be stressed, I'm sure you'll do a great job." A friendly pat on the back of the shoulder ended our second conversation. I wonder how long my eyes lingered on him as he left to redive into drills. It felt like hours had passed before I finally reached Seoyoon noona to have her inform me about the upcoming sports festival. 

 

I returned to the room to Jimin studying a book on his bed and the sound of the shower head: probably Jeongkook. A box of individually wrapped ice creams sat on my desk, and I smirked at the sight. I rummaged around to pull out the banana flavoured one and walked over to Jimin. His eyes slowly turned their attention to me and my eyes wandered over his tired complexion. 

"Here you go." I gave a plain soft smile. He glanced over the packaging before taking it. The bathroom door clicked open and Jeongkook emerged with a towel on his head; after a few hours in a sweaty gym, I easily noticed the sweet trail of soap fragrance the two gave off. "Hey Jeongkook! How are you liking your new dorm room?" 

He replied while drying his hair. "Good, hyung. Jimin hyung and I have been playing a bit of basketball and going to the convenience store together and stuff." He silently points at the ice cream and mimes a "thank you" with shut eyes in my direction. I can tell by the look on his face that he's been enjoying his time the past two days.

 

 

Taehyung's Diary/ March 12th, 2014.

 

Author's Note | It seems the last time I updated this story was March 2016. It's probably time I get the rollercoaster going. To all new readers, welcome :)