Junior

Look At Me, Sunbae!

3 | Junior

 

     I was out of the dorms by 7am this morning. Two reasons: Jeongkook was moving in; Jeon Jeongkook was moving in. He was finally a step closer to entering Jimin's life.

Oh, and for a third reason: Seoyoon noona asked me to do her a huge favour; sleep became priority two once I'd agreed without much thought. 

My chance was coming. 

 

My best shirt and ripped jeans were the choice for today (at least I remember seeing him wear ripped jeans once; it's hard to say since I rarely see him out of his sports jersey). Next was a pack of mints in my back pack and a final text to Jeongkook to let him know we were both setting off towards our goals. 

 

Seoyoon noona was waiting for me outside the room. A clip board and sheets of paper were designatedly mine and she showed me in, my eyes following her as I stood within the room full of mostly third years and several first years. A nervous gulp seemed to prove my self confidence from the morning wrong. While Seoyeon noona  the president  introduced me as the temporary vice president of the club I searched the filled seats and sure enough, there he was: leaning his chin on his palm with such poise, the sight of a cross with one leg over the other, his calm orbs politely focused on the words being said. Then I heard my name being announced and I watched as his eyes moved to land on me for the very first time; he was matching my name to my appearance and I felt dazed for the many times I had hoped he'd done so when I watched him practice. On the outside my body was likely tense though internally it was overwhelmed. Min Yoongi...looked at me. I pulled my gaze away for now if just having his eyes on me made me like this, then I was nowhere near ready for our eyes to finally meet – and turned to give Seoyoon noona a kind smile before bowing and pretty much repeating whatever she'd said earlier. 

Vice president of the basketball club. That was now me. And that for me, means more time with Yoongi sunbae. I'd have to be present at every meeting, which was once every week, if not every fortnight, and be in charge of personally discussing any issues or suggestions given by club members and transferring conclusions to the president and captain. The captain is a 4th year student named Kim Seokjin, though Seoyoon noona told me he's likely going to pass on the captain title to Yoongi sunbae soon. 

I hope that soon comes sooner. 

 

After all my classes for the day I returned to the dorms to find our room a lot more cramped than I remembered it to be. There were empty cups of banana milk tea on my desk, a half unpacked suitcase pushed to the wall and a folded newspaper page with part time jobs circled on the bed. 

I checked Jimin's time table blu-tacked on his wall space (well, in reality I know it off by heart already but just for confirmation) and knew that there was still two hours before he would return. That meant time for rearranging. Jeongkook better thank me hard with some ice cream later on for this, me pushing his bed across the room so that now on a turn of the head would be all he needed to witness a sleepy Jimin not too far away. Yeah, this deserves a 2L tub, at least. 

 

Settling down to catch up on a literature lecture, a sudden vibration alerts my ear as I pick up my phone to see an incoming call from an unknown number. Two seconds for a little preparation, I mumble a "Hello?". 

"Hey, Taehyung-ssi? This is Min Yoongi from the basketball club. I got your number off of Seoyoon, is it cool if I save it down?"

I blink, then blink again. The door opens and I shoot my head around to see Jeongkook enter with his backpack and a few sweatdrops dampening his forehead under his grey beanie. He flashes me a smile but it only adds to my freak out; I flap my hand at him frantically to go away as Yoongi's uncertain murmur comes from the other side of the call. 

"I-ahh-uhh- yes! Yes, you can save it down. No problem...Yoongi sunbae." I barely exhale the last part. "Did you call because you needed anything?" 

"Just wanted to thank you for taking up the position. It's only temporary so hopefully Hoseok will be back soon and you won't have to worry anymore. Until then, if you have any questions feel free to ask Seoyoon, Seokjin sunbae or me, alright? Welcome to the team, Taehyung-ssi." 

Breathing seems exceptionally difficult at this point, every process of thought a struggle and every word a potential disaster. 

"Ah, just Taehyung is fine." 

His chuckle makes me believe he's smiling on the other side. "Alright, Taehyung. I'll see you at the next meeting then." 

Jeongkook approaches me once I lower the phone down into my lap, stunned and excited at the same time. I flash him that mixed-emotions look and he only grins with a pat to my shoulder. "Lucky you," he says as the door opens again and Park Jiminie walks in with his upper arm dabbing the bucket load of sweat on his face. I glance up at the frozen Jeongkook and shake my head. Lucky us. 

 

 

Taehyung's Diary/ March 10th, 2014.

 

Author's Note | This story was last updated October 6, 2014. Fortunately I've always remembered it since and had previous notes and written stuff saved down so I know where this story is headed and how much more developed it's going to get. Unfortunately my notes cover mainly the plot from a few chapters further down the road, so these coming ones may be a little rough but I'll try my best to make this a great story. A lot of my heart will go into it. To those who are returning, thank you :) To new readers, welcome :)