Daddy is Back

My Sweet Baozi

Evie's POV

Time flew by very quick, a week had passed since my last night at the mall with Xiumin. The two of us didn't talk much this week. I tried my best to avoid him during school since everything just didn't seem right between us. I needed more time to sort things out before dealing with that boy. Today was a school day, I was sitting through my English class, staring out the window at the clear blue sky. As you could imagine, I was bored as hell. English had never been a subject I liked, all the crazy rules and tenses always threw me off guard.

Suddenly, a loud notification sound rang across the room. I looked around to find the source of the noise when I realized everyone in the class was staring at me. Crap, it was my phone... The teacher glared at me but didn't say anything before resuming her boring lecture. I felt dozen pairs of eyes on me as I took my phone out of my pocket.

No one really texted me, so it never occurred to me that I might have to put my phone on silence during a lesson. I glanced down and almost gasped out loud as I saw the Caller ID. My mouth hung open in surprise as I opened the message.

 

Evelyn, I have a meeting in your area today, near your house, be prepared for my appearance. I will also bring your brother along with me to discuss your post secondary issues. I will arrive around 7:00 pm and will stay for the night.

 

What the actual f***? Wait a second, what just happened? I rubbed my eyes as I reread the message at least ten times before putting the phone away. I couldn't believe it, he was coming to see me. My father whom I haven't seen in 2 years was visiting. I could barely contain the excitement in my heart. But seriously, what kind of parent text their child during class time? I yawned and rested my head on the desk, hoping the day would pass by quicker.

Half listening the the teacher's lecture, the peacefulness didn't last long as I recalled the message in my head, it stated 'your brother'. I immediately tensed up. For as long as I lived, I didn't recall ever having a brother, what did my father mean by that? 

After thinking about it for a minute, I realized what my father was talking about. Since he lived with his new family, there might be a son from his new wife that he called my 'brother'. That means, my step brother who I didn't even know was coming over to my house. 

 

Author’s POV

It was a boring day, all the students were waiting for the long day to be over. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were in their English class, working on a presentation which was due next week. 

"Okay Chanyeol, how about you take care of the introduction part and I’ll state the facts?" Baekhyun asked and looked at Chanyeol who didn't respond. The tall boy dosed off, looking out the window.

"Chanyeol!" Baekhyun flicked his Yoda ear, causing the boy to flinch.

"What? I’m listening," Chanyeol said and rubbed his ear.

"No you’re not, come on Park Chanyeol, at this rate, we’ll never get our assignment done on time," Baekhyun sighed, looking at the short lonely paragraph they had written down on a blank piece of paper.

Chaneyol paused for a moment. He fondled with the corner of the paper before Baekhyun snatched it away. "Sorry, I was just... thinking," the tall boy didn't seem to notice the paper was taken away, he just replied quietly, looking out the window again.

Baekhyun started to worry. Chanyeol, who was always a happy virus started feeling down? This was not normal in Exo's dictionary. Something was going on and Baekhyun was sure of it. "Hey, Chanyeol."

"Yeah?" Chanyeol replied without looking at Baekhyun.

"Are you okay? You don’t seem like yourself lately. Is something going on? You can talk to me about it," Baekyun said softly.

Chanyeol looked up at the older boy before letting out a big sigh. "It’s stupid... But I just can’t get her out of my head..." He murmured.

"Her? You mean... Evelyn?" Baekyun guessed.

Chanyeol nodded and color crept up his ears. "I know I play around with the ladies a lot, but this is the first time I’ve felt this way, actual love. I have no idea what to do and how to approach her. She is just nothing like the other girls I've dated before..."

"Why don't you go for someone else then? There are plenty of pretty faces in this school," Baekhyun suggested.

Chanyeol shook his head, "it is her stubborn personality that attracts me, other girls full of obedience just wouldn't do. I don't know why, but I'm starting to hate the idea that other girls can be used to replace Evie. She is irreplaceable, Evie is Evie..."

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol with approval, wondering how a playboy like Park Chanyeol could be so serious and strong hearted. Was this what love could do to someone? "Well, instead of flirting, why not bring her out and tell her your feelings?"

"I thought the same thing, but, but what if she rejects me?" Chanyeol asked with worry.

"You’ll never know until you try," Baekyun said, patting him on the back.

"Alright, I guess that’s what I’ll do then..." Chanyeol said unsurely and smiled. His heart was throbbing at the thought of proposing to Evelyn. Baekhyun nodded, and the two continued with their project.

 

Evie's POV

When the bell finally rang, indicating that the long tiring day was over, all the students quickly got up and rushed out of the classroom. I too, packed my bag and followed. Although I wanted to get home as quickly as possible to see my father, I couldn't. I had a soccer practice after school. Soccer was one of my passion, but not strong enough to keep my self from being disappointed by the delay of seeing my father. 

After grabbing my gym bag from my locker, I headed to the change room to get changed. To my relief, Tiffany and her gang wasn't here to bother me this time. They didn't make it to the soccer team, but I doubt they liked soccer anyway. The prior reason for them to attend the soccer tryout last time was to see Exo. 

All dressed and ready, I headed to the soccer dome where the practice will be taking place. To my surprise, all the Exo members were present. The boys stood in a group in the corner of the field. Chen and Xiumin was passing a soccer ball back and forth while the other chatted with the coach. I couldn't decided if I should go and greet them. If I did, it might suggest to the other soccer team members that I had some sort of relationship with them, in which I didn't.

Thinking about this, Xiumin's kiss immediately surfaced in my mind. That night out with him was lovely, yet painful. His soft lips were so tempting, yet I could not claim it. Being involved in a relationship was the most sinful thing I could do, I would absolutely not make the same mistake again years ago. 

Before I realized what we were doing, the boys approached me. I suddenly felt nervous, but when I looked around, no one really seemed to care. Waving, I began to make my way to the boys. "What are you guys doing here today?" I asked loudly for them to hear.

Baekhyun stepped up, "the coach wanted us to help out and train the girls, he is busy lately with some grading for the senior boy PE class." 

I nodded and suddenly caught Chanyeol's gaze. As soon as I made eye contact with the big boy, he immediately adverted his eyes and looked away. I smiled at his cute behavior. "Chaneyeol, are you okay?" I asked teasingly, but the boy didn't respond.

Baekhyun quickly pulled Chanyeol away, "Chaneyol and I are busy, see you around, Evie." 

I couldn't do anything but nod and smile. Xiumin looked at Chanyeol's way before tapping me on my arm. I looked over, "What's up?"

Xiumin smiled brightly, "nothing much. We haven't been talking much this week. I just couldn't forget about you these days, especially after that night. Why aren't you talking to me anymore?" He asked.

"Why are you being so cheesy? Ha ha," I replied awkwardly and didn't know what to say. It was true that I had been avoiding him lately. Everything was just didn't seem normal. His behavior made me uneasy. I couldn't stand interacting with him anymore, I felt like if I stay close to him any longer, I might end up falling for him. 

Xiumin studied me for a moment before letting out a small laugh. "Are you still bothered my kiss?" He asked with a grin. 

I felt my face burning, "as if! Can you stopped talking about this please?" I said and looked away in embarrassment. 

"I know you liked it. By the way Evie, we should hang out more," Xiumin suggested.

I said I'd be glad to, but I lied. Hanging out with him was the one thing I shouldn't do, at least not now. To get myself away from him, I said I needed to go do some warm ups with the other girls and left. During the entire practice, I didn't interact much with the boys since I didn't really need much help, and I avoided them on purpose.

When the practice was over, I bid them goodbye and quickly headed to the change room to get changed. I couldn't wait to see my father. Barely able to contain the excitement in my heart, I packed up extra quick and exited the school. Walking past the school gate, I found Himchan waiting for me under a tree. I went to him and pulled him to me.

My best friend was surprised by my sudden appearance. He asked how my practice was and I said fine. Being excited as I was, I told him about my father's text I received this morning and how he was going to stay over night. But when I mentioned that he was going to bring my brother, Himchan interrupted. 

"What, a brother? Wait Evie, this sounds fishy... I'm positive that you don't have a blood related sibling, you should be careful today. You know what, why don't I come over and stay with you for the night?" Himchan suggested with a perfectly serious expression.

I considered having him over, it would be good for my father to meet him, after all, it was Himchan who stayed by my side these three years. "Okay, you can come, but be sure to make a good impression for my dad, he is sort of a strict person."

Himchan nodded happily, "okay, I'll go home to grab some my things first, you go ahead without me. I'll be at your house in half an hour." I smiled and watch him jog away down the street. I quickened my paste and headed for home. 

It was nearly 6 o'clock when I arrived at home. I put my things away and quickly went to the shower to wash off all the sweat and dust from the soccer practice. After showering, I did my best to tidy up the house and waited for Himchan who came shortly after. For some strange reasons, I was nervous, nervous to see my father and meeting my brother. Himchan seemed to notice my upset disposition as he tried to comfort me, and it helped.

My father had always been proper man, at exactly 7:00 pm, the door bell rang. I gulped and looked over to Himchan who nodded encouragingly at me. I took a deep breath and went to open the door. As the door opened, I looked at my father's familiar face. There were wrinkles surrounding his proper serious features, and strands of grey hair mixed with the black. My heart twitched as I looked at my father's aged face.

As I was deep in the moment looking at my father, I didn't notice the boy standing behind him. I jumped a little when I looked at the young man. What the heck is he doing here? Himchan who stood close to me also jumped a little at that young man's presence. "Can we come in?" My father's suddenly voice startled me a little. I smiled sheepishly and quickly moved aside to let them in. I looked at the young man, he quickly looked away and walked past me like we were strangers. What is happening?

The house was rather quiet after the entry of my father. He briefly asked me how I was doing and I said fine. He then greeted Himchan who smiled nervously and tried his best to make a good impression. I didn't understand why everyone was being extra quiet, my father slowly sipped a cup of warm tea as Himchan constantly exchanged glances with the other young man. Finally, I found the courage to speak up to the young man. "Yifan oppa, what are you doing here?"

The older boy looked a little startled as I called his name, he looked up at me and I could see the upset look in his face. My father looked up at me, then to him before standing up from the couch. "You two know each other?" My father questioned with no hint of warmness in his tone. I gulped, and Yifan looked around nervously. Did I do something wrong?

Himchan stood up as well and opened his mouth to speak, "Well Yifan hyung is a close friend of ours. He has helped us a lot in the past."

My father looked intensely at everyone in the room, after a moment of intense silence, he chuckled and sat back down. His expression was more friendly and happy now. I let out a sigh of relief, but was still confused as heck. "I see, then this makes things much easier for me. I was afraid to surprise you guys," my father said with more enthusiasm.

My father briefly explained Yifan's relationship with the family, Himchan and I were mind blown. Everything started when my father was on a oversea trip to mainland China. He was negotiating with the Tian Long company, a well known hotel and resort company in mainland China. When he met the head of the Tian Long company, LiYian Wu, Kris' mother, the two felt very affectionate toward each other and soon developed feelings. Since the two single parents got along well, and their relationship was a great aid the future growth of both industries, the two decided to get married.

I then asked Yifan if he knew he was my step brother. He said yes and that was basically how he found me in the bar. Everything cleared up in my mind, when I was injured on the couch, unable to move due to the beating I had received, Yifan oppa was the one who brought me to a hospital. He was a complete stranger back then, but I felt connected to him at soon as I felt his warm touch on my cheek. As he continued on with the story, I felt slightly annoyed and hurt by the fact that I wasn't told any of this. I kept quiet and listened to Yifan explain.

The primary reason why my father and Yifan came to visit me was to discuss about my future plans and career path. My father hoped that I would work together with Yifan, who would inherit both my father's and step mother's businesses. My grade were just a little above average, but still by far too low to get accepted into good universities. What my father planned was for me to finish high school, then receive post secondary education from a private tutor where I would learn all about business and finance. It was hoped for me to work alongside Yifan and aid him in his businesses. 

When the discussion was over, my father told us that he had booked a table in a restaurant near by and we will have a family dinner. When we were ready to go, I caught Himchan packing up his things and walking out the door. I quickly went up and grabbed him by the shoulder. "Where do you think you are going?" I asked.

My best friend turned to look at me, "You should enjoy the night with you family, I don't want to be a nuisance."

I dragged him back and took his bag from him. "No, you are definitely coming along. If my father can just suddenly find a new woman whom I don't even know and call her family. Then you are more than fit to be my brother."

An awkward expression suddenly filled his face, "Wait, brother?"

I suddenly felt awkward too, "Well... You have always been around during my hardest times, and you took care of me just like a caring older brother, so..."

"Okay, are you ready yet, the car is ready," Yifan called us.

"Coming!" I yelled back and grabbed Himchan's sleeve, "Let's go!"


Word count: 2896 words