Chapter 2 - Only One

Now You're Gone

     The moment Hana closed the bedroom door behind her, hse rushed over to her desk, only to pull out a small picture that she had kept hidden. It was a picture of her as an infant wrapped in a blanket, and sleeping in her five year old brother's arms. It was the very last thing that he gave her since she moved in. He'd given it to her two days after she moved in. She remembered that day exactly. 

     She was crying because of certain cruel words from a certain leader, and this was one of the few times where he would comfort her. She remembered his words in that very moment. 

"I'll always be here for you, I promise." 

     Lies. She thought. Tears were b her eyes again, but this time she let them fall with every ounce of hurt that she had built up over the course of a few months. She was sobbing loudly, and her head began to spin. She wanted to tell him that she missed her, she wanted so much to tell him how much she needed him. But how much would that hurt her pride? Too much. She couldn't stand it. Family isn't about pride. Those were words from her Father. He admitted that after he and her mother had a fight. Her tears stopped, and she allowed herself to think quietly about every happy moment she'd shared with her brother until she heard the door to their room open. 

     She dusted herself off, still clutching the photo that was so close to her heart. At the very same time that she opened the door, she heard a knock, then slowly, Sungjae was revealed on the other side. 

"Hey, are you okay now?" he asked.

     Hana quickly hid the photo behind her back, then quickly nodded. 

"Is he out yet?" She asked. 

     Sungjae then pointed over to the couch where she could see the top of a baseball cap slouched over. She slowly walked up, and sat next to him. 

"hey, can I tell you something?" She said quitely. 

     He didn't even look at her. Not a single word came out of his mouth. 

"Look, Donggeun, can we just talk for a moment?" 

     By now, everyone's eyes were on them and for once, she didn't care. She placed her hand on his shoulder, and tried to get him to look at her. Then, all of a sudden, he stood up. 

"Later." He said, while storming out the front door.

     Hana couldn't move, she couldn't tell what just happened. Her eyes were fixed on the spot where her brother had sat just moments before. She felt a hand on her shoulder, and she looked up to find Ilhoon with Hyunsik right behind him. 

"You guys will be okay... As long as he doesn't- Ouch!" Hyunsik was interupted by a sharp elbow into his side.

     She already knew what he was going to say. She knows that her brother has a dark side. He shows it when he's extremely angry about something. Hana is usually the only one who can calm him down. But that was a two years ago. What's going to happen when the only one who can calm him down is the very reason for all his anger? 

     No one wanted to say anything else. Sungjae soon took the seat next to her, and whispered comforting words that she tried her best not to ignore. What could she possibly do to have a normal conversation with her brother? later, their manager came in to pick them up for the photoshoot, but he added something else. 

"Guys, come on, it's time to go. I also need to talk to everyone." 

     Soon, all of btob were out side the front door, including Peniel. Hana figured she wanted to know what they were talking about, and pressed her ear up to the door. 

"I know something's going on in there." Their manager stated. "Spill it." 

"I think there's something going on with Peniel and Hana..." She heard someone else say. 

"Oh.. I thought it was something with her and Eunkwang again..." Their manager replied. 

"So what's going on with you and Hana, anyways?" Sungjae asked. 

"Do we need to talk about this right now?" Peniel replied with a question. 

"Please, hyung." Ilhoon persisted. 

"Do I really need to explain to you how bothersome it is to look after someone like that? For a while, we were on our own, and to be comepletely honest, it should've stayed that way." 

     Her heart sunk into her stomach. Backing away from the door, she shook her head. Not wanting to hear any more, she ran into her room, a plan already forming in her mind.