The Cafeteria and New Faces

The Battle of the Exes

            “I can’t believe the nerve of the jerk,” Minhee fumed, stabbing the lettuce leaf on her plate with her fork with more force than necessary and glaring across the student cafeteria where Chanyeol was seated with his friends and the repulsive Han Seulgi and her irritatingly perky s.

            “Minhee, he dumped you,” Bora sighed into her drink and wrapping her hot pink lips around the straw. “It’s time to move on.”

            Minhee shook her head, not breaking her glare from Chanyeol, who was aggravatingly ignorant to Minhee’s blatant rage. “I can’t believe him. Not once did he invite me to sit with his friends. Not once.”

            “Minhee, enough already,” Bora exclaimed in frustration, setting her drink down on the plastic table with a loud thunk that made a couple students sitting near them glance over.

             Minhee finally looked at Bora, her eyes wide with confusion. “What did I do?”

            “Look, Minhee, I love you, but it’s obvious that you are nowhere near over him,” Bora leaned across the table, speaking lowly like she was trying to not make Minhee angry.

            “What?” Minhee scoffed, tossing her perfectly curled, now shorter, hair over her shoulder and out of her face. “I have no clue what you are talking about.”

            “Look at you!” Bora exclaimed, tossing her hands in the air towards the heavens in frustration. “We have been here for twenty minutes and you haven’t taken your eyes off of him once.”

           “Technicality,” Minhee waved her hand dismissively. “Besides, he is in my line of sight. What else am I supposed to do?”

            Bora scowled and kicked Minhee under the table.

           “Ow!” Minhee cried, directing her glare towards her best friend, now. “What was that for?”

          “Minhee, this is absolutely ridiculous. You are looking even more pathetic to him now than you do when you “accidentally” get on the elevator with him to go to class every day.”

          “It’s an accident,” Minhee defended stubbornly.

          “Minhee,” Bora leveled the girl across the table with a raised eyebrow, “Your classes aren’t even in that building.”

          “Okay,” Minhee sighed. “So maybe I have been following him to keep tabs. But he doesn’t even notice me!”

          “He is ignoring you on purpose.”

          “He wouldn’t dare. And besides, look at me.”  

          Over on the other side of the cafeteria, Chanyeol’s group all stood up, gathering their plates to take over to the conveyor belt where the students put their dirty dishes. Smiling that infuriatingly adorable smile that made Minhee’s toes curl in rage inside of her cream colored wedges, Chanyeol gallantly reached over to scoop up Seulgi’s dishes for her, and the busty girl actually had the nerve to let out an unseemly giggle. Minhee almost gagged into her dressing-free salad and Greek yogurt.

          “Did you see that,” Minhee all but yelled across the table at Bora, who winced in agreement. “She actually giggled. Giggled!”

          Minhee suddenly shot up in her seat and dragged a protesting Bora up by the arm and grabbed both of their dishes. It wasn’t like Minhee had actually been enjoying her meal; Chanyeol and hers’ abrupt break up had been a wakeup call to Minhee, and not only had Minhee been looking cuter than ever, but she had been dieting and exercising better than before.

          “What are you doing?” Bora cried as Minhee dragged them towards the conveyor belt, timing their arrival so that it matched Chanyeol and his friends’. “Minhee no. Minhee this is such a bad idea!”

          “Shut up and act natural,” Minhee hissed through her teeth, shoving Bora’s plate at her.

          Internally complementing her perfect outfit of a black crop top tee that clung to her every curve and exposed the better portion of her midriff and white skater skirt, Minhee made sure to emphasize her long legs as she cut in front of Chanyeol. Delicately placing her dish on the belt, Minhee, turned and tried to act surprised when she almost head butted into an irritatingly firm chest.

          “Oh, Chanyeol,” Minhee said in faux shock. “Sorry, I didn’t see you there.”

          “Same here,” Chanyeol said in a disinterested tone, not paying her much so much as a glance as he placed his plate behind hers.

          Minhee frowned. This was not how it was supposed to go. She had planned this outfit two weeks in advance, and no one simply did not notice Cho Minhee when she wanted to be.

          “Well,” Minhee grasped at straws for any reason for him to talk to her. “Not that I’ve been wondering or anything, but I am sure you have been busy.”

          “Mmm,” Chanyeol hummed in agreement, turning to face her and glancing over towards his friends who were walking out of the cafeteria. “I’ll see you around, okay?”

          And with that, Chanyeol jogged off after his friends without a second glance and fell into step with a boy about his height with slanting eyebrows and a firm mouth. Minhee felt fall open in shock. Chanyeol could not have been any clearer about his rejection.

          “Ouch,” Bora mumbled from next to her, placing her arm on Minhee’s elbow and steered her friend out of the cafeteria and away from curious eyes. “That literally could not have gone worse. Let’s get you out of here.”

          “He just−he just,” Minhee was speechless.

          “Yeah,” Bora agreed. “I have never seen such a harsh swerve in all of my very extensive career as your wing-woman.”

          At this, Bora stopped and turned to face Minhee with a thoughtful face. “What if I knew a way to get back at Chanyeol?”

          Minhee had never turned her head so fast; she felt her eyes wobble a little in their sockets. “Do go on.”

          “It’s quite simple, really,” Bora rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “We just need to find someone hotter than him; someone who could make the great Park Chanyeol shake in his designer sneakers.”

          “Damn him and his sneakers,” Minhee mumbled. “There isn’t a person on this campus who could possibly make Park Chanyeol jealous. And besides,” she gestured towards the sky in exasperation,” he made it pretty clear he couldn’t care less.”

          Bora scoffed. “Please. Have you seen yourself in the mirror? No guy in his right mind would not care about this,” she gestured up and down Minhee’s body with a flippant hand. “And you two dated for a year. He doesn’t simply just wake up and not care for you anymore.”

          Squinting her eyes in thought, Minhee nodded. Bora’s argument did make a lot of sense. But that would mean that- “So what about Seulgi? That would make her a-“

          “Yes,” Bora said triumphantly. “That makes her a rebound.”

          Minhee gasped in shock. “No way. No freaking way.”

          “That’s right,” Bora grinned. “You just have to call him on his bluff.”

          Deflating slightly, Minhee scratched the back of her neck in frustration. “How am I supposed to do that? He won’t even look at me.”

          “You see, that is the fun part,” Minhee’s best friend in the entire world with her infinite wisdom on the way of the male species stated sagely. “This is the part where the other boy comes in.”

         Minhee leaned up against a light post, her face thoughtful. “So you’re saying that the boy doesn’t actually have to be better than Chanyeol?”

          Bora clapped Minhee on the back. “There you go! I knew that there were things besides fashion in that brain of yours.”

          “He needs to be decent,” Minhee was already listing of traits on her fingers, lost within her thoughts. “Good grades, decent money, because God knows he will see right through me if this fill-in isn’t loaded-“

          For the second time within an hour, Minhee felt herself collide with something warm and firm and most definitely male.

          “Ouch,” she mustered. “That hurt.”

          “I am so, so, so sorry,” a voice came from above her, and Minhee squinted up at the person offering her his hand to help her up. “Your knees are bleeding.”

          The boy was tall, Minhee noticed approvingly. His watch was simple with a plain leather band, but the name brand etched on the clock’s face screamed money. Curious, Minhee looked up at his face and was star struck. A goofy smile and friendly eyes set upon a face that positively glowed, the girl on the ground felt her cheeks heat up.

           “Thank you,” Minhee muttered shyly as she took the stranger’s hand and felt him hoist her up. Heat flashed through her back as she felt him casually put his hand on her waist and help her over to a bench. “You don’t have to, really. I’m okay.”

          “Of course I have to,” he exclaimed, rifling through his expensive looking leather satchel and pulling out a couple tissues which he placed over the scrapes on her knees. “It was my fault you were knocked over.”

          “Minhee, oh my goodness, are you okay?” Bora scrambled over towards the two but stopped when she caught on to the intense atmosphere and a mischievous smile came over her face.

          “I’m Minho,” the boy told her earnestly. His eyes were a mature sort of happiness, and Minhee played with her fingers twisted in her lap.

          “My name is Minhee.”

          “Nice to meet you, Minhee,” Minho had a beautiful smile. “I really am sorry.”

          “It’s okay,” Minhee was a crimson mess, and couldn’t seem to look anywhere but down. “You didn’t cause any permanent damage, and Band-Aids are totally chic right now.”

          At this, Minho let out a bark of laughter. “How about this,” he grinned at her and took a pen out of his bag and scribbled something on her leg. “Call me, and I’ll take you out for lunch as an apology.”

          At this, Minho swore good naturedly as he glanced at his watch and waved as he ran off, leaving a shocked Minhee sitting on the bench, staring down at the digits he had written down on her leg.

          A smug Bora crossed her arms and stared after the boy. “Looks like we have everything we need to pull this off.”