Changing Minds and Leg-Presses

The Battle of the Exes

              Minhee would have been happier for it being Saturday if Bora had not let herself into the apartment again.

              “Get up, lazy bones,” her friend pulled off the covers. “It’s leg day.”

              Groaning, Minhee rolled over and dragged the pillow over her face as she did so. “It’s 8 A.M., Bora. What the hell?”

              “Come on,” Bora took away Minhee’s pillow and began hitting her with it. “I’m doing it with you, anyways, so get! UP!”

              Losing her patience, Bora pulled Minhee out of bed by the ankles: the very ankles that had not quite recovered from the white heels that Minhee had decided to wear earlier in the week.

              “Ow! OW! Okay, okay!” Minhee cried out. “Okay, geez. I’m up. Happy?”

              “Very. Now go throw on some workout clothes because we’re hitting the gym.”

              Minhee grumbled to herself as she did so, opting for one of Chanyeol’s hoodies that she had decided to hold on to and a pair of mini shorts that were eaten under the fabric of the hoodie. As much as Minhee hated Chanyeol’s guts, he had a clothing sense that worked for her because the hoodie cost at least a hundred dollars (seriously, who pays that much for a freaking hoodie? Idiots like Park Jerkyeol, that’s who). Needless to say, she kept it.

              In the eyes of the law, the hoodie was hers now. (When dumping your girlfriend like the jackass that you are, you henceforth lose ownership of any item you left at her house. er.)

              Minhee was not cheered up by the lame excuse for a breakfast that Bora offered her, either: a cup of yogurt and a banana. She pouted the whole way to the gym.

              “Why did I ever agree to do this?” Minhee grouched as she stretched.

              From next to her, Bora gave her an angelic grin. “Because you want to show up your show of an ex by getting a booty that just won’t quit.”

              Bringing her nose as close as she possibly could to her ankle, Minhee groaned in pain. “God, I hate him for making me do this!”

              “Yeah, what else is new. So,” Bora sat down, making a V with her legs. “What happened with Minho? I saw him go all Notebook on you yesterday in the rain.”

              Minhee blushed, remembering their kiss. “I don’t even know. He said a bunch of weird stuff.”

              “Stuff?” Bora scoffed. “Come on, Minhee. Usually I can’t shut you up about this sort of thing.”

              “He just said that he knew that I was using him and that it was fine.”

              “Fine?” Bora shot Minhee a look. “Fine? He was fine with it?”

              Minhee shrugged, stretching out her right leg. “Yeah. I think his words were “It’s okay,”” she made air quotes with her fingers.

              “What did you do to the boy?” Bora walked over to the leg press machine, looking baffled. “No one gets used and is fine with it.”

              “I didn’t do anything!” Minhee cried, standing up, as well. “It was kind of sweet.”

              “Oh my God,” Bora got off the machine to grab Minhee by the shoulders and examine her friend from all angles. “You like him, don’t you?”

              Minhee looked at the ground, her red cheeks giving her away.

              Bora burst out laughing, a look of disbelief crossing her face. “You do! You like him!”

              “Shut up!” Minhee aimed a kick at her friend’s shins but missed and hit the machine, instead. “Ow! Geez that hurts!”

              Minhee hopped up and down on one foot, trying to ease the pain in her big toe.

              Crossing her arms over her chest, Bora leaned back against the offending machine with raised eyebrows. “I’m not saying this to hurt you, Minhee, but I actually think that getting emotionally invested in that boy could be a really bad idea.”

              Foot forgotten, Minhee turned to face her friend indignantly. “What do you mean? It’s not like he proposed to me or anything.”

              “Look, Minhee,” Bora started thoughtfully, rubbing her chin. “Obviously you’re still into Chanyeol-”

              “Am not! I hate the guy!”

              Bora cut her friend off. “Minhee, will you step back and look at yourself for a second!” For the first time, Bora actually seemed angry. “You still like him! I might go as far as to say you still love him, in fact!”

              The entire time Minhee had dealt with the loss of her (only) serious boyfriend, Bora had been nothing but supportive. When Minhee needed to cry, it was Bora’s shoulder she cried on. When Minhee needed to vent, to yell, to hit something, it was Bora who listened. Never once had Bora gotten mad or tried to talk sense into her.

              It had been Bora who scraped her off the ground and shoved her into the shower. It had been Bora who kept her from doing anything stupid, it had been Bora who didn’t judge her when she wanted to wear six inch heels everywhere she went on the off chance that she ran into Chanyeol. It had always been Bora.

              “You’re breaking your back bending backwards for a guy who has done nothing but ignore you for weeks after he ended things with you! He’s moved on, Minhee!” Bora threw her hands in the air in exasperation and let them fall back to her sides. “You can’t hold on to your anger forever, girl.”

              Minhee was silent as her best friend talked. What Bora was saying was nothing but the truth. Maybe it was Bora she had needed to hear this from all along.

              “And Minho?” Bora was not done. “Maybe it’s better to leave his feelings out of this. Because I think that if you drag another boy into this, it’s going to end in nothing but you and him getting hurt.”

              “You’re right,” Minhee said quietly, looking at the ground. “Of course you’re right.”

              “Look,” Bora’s tone softened and she smiled softly, “You have me, okay?”

              Minhee felt herself tearing up a little bit. What had she ever done to deserve such an awesome friend?

              “Aw, come here,” Bora stepped forward to give Minhee a big hug. “You know I love you, right? Always. You always have me.”

              Minhee returned the hug with gusto. “You’re my best friend.”

              “Uh, duh,” Bora pulled back and playfully nudged her friend. “What else would I be?”

              “My dietician.”

              “Okay,” Bora held up a finger, rolling her eyes. “I saved your after the breakup. Literally. You would be rolling from place to place if I hadn’t stepped in.”

              “Meow meow meow, you geek.”

              “Oh, did I mention to you that I saw that girl Minah the other day?”

              “The one who had that affair with the professor?”

              “Yeah, that’s the one.”

              “No way, what happened to her?”

              “She had a baby!”

              “No way! Do you think it was hers?”

              Bora and Minhee laughed, all of the boy drama forgotten. They had one another, and that was all that mattered.

 

              “I have a study date this afternoon, so I’ve gotta run, okay?”

              “Ohh, a study date?” Minhee catcalled at Bora from across the locker room, drying her hair. “Is it that boy Luhan again?”

              Bora stuck out her tongue. “Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.”

              For the past three weeks, Bora had been seeing a shy boy named Luhan for “study dates.” Minhee knew that no way was Bora actually going there to study; her friend had a photographic memory and could probably recite all her textbooks right then and there if she needed to. Luhan was quiet, but he did exceptionally well in all of his classes which led Minhee to two conclusions: either Bora was playing dumb to spend time with Luhan, or the two were doing a little more than just “studying.”

           Bora was not giving Minhee any hints, so she assumed the latter; Bora was not the type to lower herself for a boy's sake. Bora was just awesome like that, and Minhee wished she could have a little more of the kind of balls that her best friend had.

              “Well have fun,” Minhee waved at her friend as she dashed out.

              “Will do!”

              “Use protection!”

              Bora flipped her the bird as the door closed behind her, leaving Minhee to take her time lacing up her shoes. It had been a great morning, and while Bora was gone, Minhee was going to make a special stop at the vending machine for a certain bag of Hot Cheetos that had been screaming her name.

              “Isn’t that Chanyeol’s hoodie?” A voice behind her stopped her dead in her tracks as she was walking out.

              “Um,” Minhee turned slowly. “No?”

              Behind her was no one other than Chanyeol’s buddy Kai. Of freaking course he was a gym rat, she cursed internally.

              “No, I’m pretty sure it is,” Kai drew closer, eyeing a stain down her front. “I made that stain right there last year. Wait a second, I know you. You're Seulgi's friend, right? From the coffee shop.”

              She was so busted. "Y-yeah, that's me, alright."

              “Wanna tell me how you got Chanyeol's jacket?” Kai leaned against the wall, blocking her escape. His face was not friendly.

              “Um, I found it?” Minhee squeaked out, the phrase coming out as more of a question.

              Kai leaned in, cornering her against the wall. “Bull.”

              What was with guys pushing her around lately, Minhee thought with irritation. It was getting really old. Maybe it was time to bring back the heavy makeup so they would leave her the hell alone again.

              “Okay, you got me,” she snapped, shoving hard against his chest with little result. Thank God she was going to the gym again. “He left it at my place a while back, okay?”

              Her answer seemed to take Kai by surprise, because he took a step back. “He what?”

              “He forgot his sweater at my apartment and so I kept it.”

              “Why would he leave his sweater at yours? He’s with Seulgi.”

              Minhee was furious. Chanyeol hadn’t even bothered to tell his friends that they had dated. She debated hurting Chanyeol and his relationship by just leaving the matter as it was and turn him into a cheater, but something stopped her.

              Stupid Seulgi and her stupid perky s, what it was, she realized sourly. Minhee couldn’t bring herself to hurt Seulgi like that.

              “It was before then. We dated for a bit.”

              A bit. She scoffed internally. With any luck, that little tidbit would make its way back to Chanyeol.

              “Oh,” Kai frowned. “He never mentioned any girl besides the psycho ex that-”

               Minhee put her hand on her hip, raising an eyebrow. 

              Kai seemed to realize his mistake and covered his mouth in horror. “I mean, he didn’t say psycho ex specifically about you, I’m sure he was referring to someone else.”

              Minhee waved her hand. She was not in the mood for this. “Whatever. I’m the psycho ex, yeah yeah. What else did he say about me?”

              Kai looked surprised at her asking. “Not much, actually. Something about you being different than what he thought you would be.”

              At that, Minhee recoiled like she had been slapped. “Different? Like how? What did he think I would be like?”

              Again, Kai looked horrified. “I’m sorry, I really don’t know.”

              Oh, he had really done it. She saw red.

              It was Minhee’s turn to push him into the wall. Which she did. She took him by the shoulders and hauled him flat against the concrete, not feeling a bit of guilt as he winced. If Chanyeol wanted her to be the psycho ex, then fine. That's what she'd be. “What did he think I’d be? Easy? He thought I would be some loose girl that he could have whenever he wanted? That I’d be some shallow bimbo who only cared about what she wore? That I’d just be some sort of arm candy?”

              Kai looked like he was about to pee himself. “No, no, Chanyeol would never-”

              “Bull,” Minhee snarled. “You know what? You can go tell Park Chanyeol that I am sorry I ever met him! Our entire relationship was a mistake.”

              Her theatrical side kicked in, then, and she turned around and swept out of the gym's doors. On her angry march back to her apartment, she decided to throw her sense of right and wrong out of the window. Forget Chanyeol, forget him. She was going to be with Minho, and she was going to be happy, God dammit.

              She would get the last say even if it broke her heart again. Even if it broke Minho’s.