Mistaken Triple Dates

The Battle of the Exes

              “I think I messed up,” Minhee leaned over her lunch tray, unable to make eye contact with Bora, who sat across from her with a vaguely irritated expression.

              “Oh no,” Bora seemed to understand exactly what Minhee did before she had to explain. “Please tell me you didn’t.”

              Minhee shifted uncomfortably in her chair, running an awkward hand through her blonde hair (which had been feeling a bit dry as of late). “I’m afraid so.”

              Groaning, Bora let her head drop down onto the table. “Minhee, you are an idiot. I told you not to do it! Didn’t I tell you that getting involved with Minho could be a disaster.”

              “I mean, yeah,” Minhee began, “but Chanyeol called me the psycho ex!”

              Bora rolled her eyes. “That’s kind of exactly what you are.”

              “I am not the psycho ex!” Minhee exclaimed, accidentally knocking her plate and causing a clatter louder than she had originally intended. “I’m just… nosey, okay?”

              “Potato, potah-to,” Bora shrugged, pushing her salad around on her plate.

              “Gee thanks,” Minhee grumbled, shooting Bora an offended look. “I was just trying to prove that I could move on, okay?”

              “I get it,” Bora sighed, obviously growing tired of the conversation. “But hurting another boy’s feelings is not how you do it.”

              “Then how do you propose I forget Chanyeol?” Minhee asked. “I’ve been trying for months, now.”

              “Time,” the girl speared a leaf on her fork and examined it from all angles before popping it in . “You were in a relationship with him for a year. It just takes time.”

              Minhee put her head down on the table next to Bora’s. The two girls faced each other on the table but said nothing; instead, they tried to become one with the wood of the table.

              “You two okay?” Seulgi stood behind them, holding a tray. “You two don’t look so good.”

              “We’re fine,” Bora tried to wave Seulgi off, but the girl was clueless. “Just tired, is all.”

              Much to the two girls’ irritation, Seulgi slid into the seat next to Bora and began to tuck in to her food. She was completely oblivious to the incredulous eye rolling of the two girls flopped over the table.

              “The food here is so much better than at my old school,” Seulgi remarked. “The cafeteria where I used to go basically consisted of variations on the chicken nugget and microwaveable rice.”

              “You don’t say,” Minhee sadly picked at her salad and shot Bora an accusatory look.

              “You’re the one who wanted to get back in shape,” Bora defended. “I’m just helping you.”

              “No way,” Seulgi gasped. “Are you on a diet?”

              “Uh,” Minhee did not understand why this was such a big deal. “Yeah. I am.”

              “Me too!” Seulgi squealed, gesturing to her plate that was dripping with carbs and sugars. The girl was definitely not on a diet. “We should do it together!”

              “Um,” Bora stepped in. “I think your version of a diet is a bit different from Minhee’s.”

              “Hey,” a boy pulled out the chair from beside Minhee. “Who are these people?”

              He was around Minhee’s height with a rather feminine frame and pretty skin (Minhee resented how much better his skin was than hers). Seulgi beamed at seeing him. “Baekhyun, these are my new friends.”

              The boy named Baekhyun turned and waved. “Hi! I’m Baekhyun!”

              Minhee paused. Where had she seen this boy before? It took a minute before it hit her. “I met you in that coffee place, right?”

              “You’re right! I guess we have met before this,” Baekhyun then burst out laughing. “Oh, just wait until Sehun gets here. I think he still has the hots for you.”

              “It’s a shame,” Bora shoved her empty plate away and began on her bowl of yogurt and fruit. “She recently got herself a boyfriend.”

              Minhee kicked Bora under the table.

              “No way no way!” Seulgi squealed, clapping her hands. “That is so amazing! When did he confess to you?”

              “Uh,” Minhee was not quite sure how to respond. “I guess while I was jogging? I bumped into him and yeah.”

              “Aw, are you telling the story of when we first kissed?”

              Minhee’s eyes widened and her cheeks went hot. Minho was standing right behind her.

              “What!” Seulgi’s voice was at about a ten. “He confessed and then kissed you? How romantic,” she sighed dreamily.

              “I guess,” Minhee mumbled, trying not to draw attention. She was really not enjoying the limelight for the first time ever.

              “The first time Chanyeol kissed me was after we went to see the glee choir.”

              Both Minhee and Baekhyun choked on their food.

              “He took you to see what?” Minhee wanted to burst out laughing.

              “The glee choir,” Seulgi’s face was deadly serious. “I really wanted to see it so I asked him to take me and he said yes.”

              The glee club was the last place Minhee thought she would ever catch Chanyeol. The mental image of a pained Chanyeol and a typical overenthusiastic Minhee shot through her head, and this time Minhee was unable to control her laughter.

              “What?” Seulgi was clueless. “What’s so funny?”

              Baekhyun was uncomfortably looking down at his plate while Bora joined Minhee in a raucous, uncontrollable laughing fit. While the girls were laughing, two more boys sat down at their table, looking rather startled at what they found.

              Minhee was slumped over sideways in her chair, clutching her stomach while Bora was doubled over and pounding the table with a clenched fist. Minho was completely lost.

              “What’s so funny about a glee club?” he asked.

              “Nothing, it’s nothing,” she choked out.

              At long last, three more boys approached the table, Chanyeol and Kai being two of them. They got one look at Minhee sitting at the table with Seulgi and she swore that all the color drained from their cheeks.

              “M-Minhee,” Kai began as they both sat in seats as far away from her as they could. “What are you doing here?”

              “I decided to sit with them,” Seulgi chirped. “We were just talking about first kisses.”

              Minhee gave a -eating grin directly at Chanyeol, who visibly gulped. “I heard from Seulgi that you took her to see the glee club?”

              He seemed to suffer some sort of war flashback, but he hid his pain well, Minhee admitted. For the time they had dated, it had been made abundantly clear that Chanyeol did not like the glee club. Or any glee club. Or glee. Minhee had tried to take him to see them perform at one point, and he had almost cried begging her not to make him go.

              Chanyeol lowered his eyes in shame, but still managed to mumble out an affirmative. Minhee let the victorious smile spread from ear to ear, not even trying to be subtle about the fact that she hated his guts.

 

              “Come on, Chan,” Minhee pulled at his shirt sleeve. “My friend is performing and I told her I would go see her perform!”

              Chanyeol was practically sitting in the middle of the sidewalk like a three-year-old throwing a tantrum. “Please, Minhee, don’t make me go.”

              “It’ll be fun!” She begged, not sure whether to laugh or get mad.

              “No,” he actually stuck out his lower lip and Minhee was torn between taking a picture and kicking him in the shins.

              “You’re no fun,” she huffed, stomping as best she could in her brand new wedges that were very flattering to her calves. “I’m breaking up with you.”

              Chanyeol scrambled up and latched on to her from behind, wrapping around her like an octopus. “I love you!”

              “Yeah yeah,” she grumbled, but she was unable to contain her smile. “I love you, too, you idiot.”

 

              Minho awkwardly cleared his throat, clearly picking up on the tension between the two. Minhee blinked and shot him an apologetic glance. She really did not mean for Minho to see this. Seulgi looked rather baffled.

              Deciding that it would perhaps be better to get out of there, Minhee stood, much to everyone’s surprise. “You know what? I think we were going to go check out the new student art show. Right Bora?”

              “We were?” She asked, but quickly caught on. “Oh right, we were.”

              “Art show?” Seulgi latched onto them like a leech. “Let’s go then.”

              Minhee felt like face palming. She had not meant for it to turn into some sort of a double date.

              “Bring Minho and it can be a double date!” Seulgi was psychic. It was official.

              “Um, what about Bora, then?” Minhee was desperate.

              “Baekhyun, be Bora’s date,” Seulgi commanded the smaller boy. He looked like he would rather eat glass, but he nodded anyways.

              “Great,” Minhee said through clenched teeth.

              Seulgi smiled sweetly. “We are going to have so much fun.”

 

 

              “You owe me,” Bora hissed into Minhee’s ear as the stood in front of a sculpture that made absolutely no sense to either girl. “Big time.”

              “I love you?” Minhee apologized for the thousandth time.

              Bora and Baekhyun avoided eye contact at all costs while Chanyeol was literally being held to Seulgi’s side. Minhee was fighting the urge to roll her eyes as Seulgi giggled loudly at something Chanyeol muttered under his breath.

              “Stop being so silly, Channie,” she playfully swatted his shoulder.

              “Oh, barf,” Bora linked her arm with Minhee’s. “That girl doesn’t even realize how annoying she is.”

              Minhee shrugged but did not take her eyes off of the pair. Chanyeol had his arm wrapped around the curvy girl’s shoulders but looked as though he wanted to be a million miles away. He stiffly glanced over at her, catching her gaze and snapping his eyes away as though she had somehow burned him.

              “So,” Minho stood off to the side, his hands stuffed uncomfortable in his pockets. “This is a great exhibit.”

              “Shut up,” Bora and Minhee snapped at him simultaneously.

              “This ,” Bora grouched walking over to aggressively stare down a painting that was what Minhee preferred to call a mess.

              In the other corner of the gallery, Seulgi affectionately stood on tiptoe to ruffle Chanyeol’s hair. Minhee’s eye twitched at the sight, and as much as she had tried to suppress it, jealousy reared its ugly head. Something out of the corner of her eye caught her gaze, however.

              Baekhyun.

              He stood a little way from Bora, and he was staring at the couple just like Minhee was sure she had been. She raised a quizzical eyebrow. Did Baekhyun possibly have feelings for Seulgi?

              Don’t be silly, Minhee scolded herself. Seulgi was with Chanyeol. But then again…

              Bora shot Minhee a look to show that she had seen the same thing. Minhee knew that she was not crazy; Baekhyun actually liked Seulgi.

              Minhee may have been a grade A diva, but she was not entirely horrible. She would keep his secret and file away that little tidbit of information for a time that she might need it.

              “Baekhyun,” Bora called the boy over, taking pity on him. “Tell me what you think of this painting.”

              Baekhyun hesitated but came over anyways. He glanced back one more time at Chanyeol and Seulgi before wetting his lips. “It’s nice I guess?”

              “Baekhyun,” Bora was never much of a roundabout person. “We know you like Seulgi. Now act like you are having fun.”

              The boy looked startled. “What? No-no I don’t. Who told you that?”

              Minhee closed him in on the other side. Minho was a couple of pictures over, squinting in confusion at an installation piece. “We are not stupid. We saw the way you looked at her.”

              “Just how you like Chanyeol?” Baekhyun really was full of surprises.

              “Beside the point,” Minhee refused to be caught off topic. “We are just trying to help you.”

              “Why would you help me when you can’t even admit to yourself that you want Chanyeol back?” Baehyun hissed, careful to not let the acoustics of the gallery catch their conversation. “What about Minho?”

              Bora looked impressed. “I like him,” she talked across the boy in between them to Minhee. "He really speaks his mind, doesn't he."

              “Hell, I'm standing right here," Baekhyun huffed. "Just don’t tell her about this, okay?” He shot them both pleading looks. “I don’t want this to ruin what we have right now.”

              “How long have you liked her?” Minhee asked him.

              Baekhyun shrugged, glancing over his shoulder at Seulgi, who was still cheesing at Chanyeol rather than the painting. “Ever since I first saw her in class. It took a couple weeks to get the courage up to talk to her, though.”

              “And when you did, she started dating Chanyeol,” Minhee connected the dots. “Wow, that’s rough.”

              He shrugged again. “Yeah, well.”

              “So what are you going to do?”

              Baekhyun turned to face Minhee with a solemn face. “What you should be doing, too; absolutely nothing.”

              Minhee was surprised and slightly irritated that this little man had the gall to tell her, Cho Minhee, what to do. “That’s stupid.”

              “Eh,” Bora pitched in. “Kind of makes sense to me.”

              “I’m just here for Seulgi,” Baekhyun twisted his hands together. “If she needs me, if Chanyeol drops her, then I’ll be there to catch her.”

              “I can’t do that for Chanyeol,” Minhee scoffed. “The dude treated me like crap. He dumped me.”

              It was Baekhyun’s turn to be surprised. “You’re the ex-girlfriend?”

              Minhee let out an angry laugh. “Yep. The psycho ex. That’s me.”

              Baekhyun shrugged. “He never said you were crazy.”

              “What?” she frowned. “That’s not what I heard from Kai.”

              “Chanyeol never said much about you, to be honest.”

              “Gee,” they moved on to the next painting. “That makes me feel so much better.”

              “I mean, we knew that he was seeing someone,” Baekhyun explained, keeping his voice low. “He just was very quiet about the whole relationship.”

              Minhee was very confused. “What does that even mean? We were dating for a year!”

              Bora hushed her. The gallery made it possible for everyone to hear everything they said.

              “I don’t know,” the small boy shrugged. “He had always told us about his flings in the past.”

              “So I was a fling?” Minhee felt herself growing angry.

              “That’s not what I meant at all,” Baekhyun shot her a look. “What I’m saying is that maybe you were more than just a fling to him.”

              Minhee parted her lips in surprise. “He actually liked me, then?”

              “It’s hard to say,” Baekhyun patted her arm comfortingly. “He doesn’t really talk about it with anyone.”

              “That could be a good thing,” Bora quickly added.

              “But Kai said I was the psycho ex,” Minhee asked. “What about that?”

              “Chanyeol never said that. In front of me, at least,” Baekhyun stood his ground. “Chanyeol never said anything about you. I mean, he did say some rude things about you when his car’s new paint job got keyed.”

              Minhee shrugged. Fair enough. “He deserved that.”

              “He probably did,” Baekhyun agreed. “Chanyeol can sometimes be a little bit of a brat.”

              Minhee decided that she actually liked Baekhyun. He was nice. “Okay. We’ll keep your secret.”

              Bora nodded in agreement.

              Baekhyun smiled in gratitude but was cut off when Seulgi came bouncing over, dragging a stumbling Chanyeol by the hand behind her. He refused to meet her eyes.

              “You guys look cozy over here,” she chirped. “This was so much fun. We should do this again.”

              The three of them mumbled under their breath, but Seulgi somehow took that as agreement. “Great! Where’s Minho, Minhee?”

              Minhee looked around but realized that Minho was nowhere to be found. “I don’t know? He probably had a meeting or something.”

              “Should we call it a day, then?” Baekhyun spoke. “It’s getting close to closing time.”

              The group parted ways outside, with Baekhyun leaving by himself, but Minhee and Bora going back to Bora’s apartment and Seulgi and Chanyeol going God knows where.

              Minhee paused in her steps to watch Chanyeol and Seulgi round the corner. Their hands were clasped tightly, and Seulgi was smiling brightly at something he had said. He pulled her in briefly to his side to lean his cheek on the top of her head. Any feelings of victory that she had that day were smashed.

              Minhee could fight with all her might , but it was Chanyeol who was happy; it just wasn’t with her. She could win as many battles as she wanted, but in the end she still lost the war.