The Movies and Anniversaries Gone Wrong

The Battle of the Exes

              “Minho?”

              “Hey. I didn’t think you would call me back any time soon.”

              Minhee was lying down on her couch, her long legs dangling over the arm. The last of her Cheetos had fallen victim to Bora’s latest raid, so she had to make do with a jar of peanut butter and the biggest spoon she owned. Her hands were covered in the sticky snack, so she had her phone on speaker by her head.

              After her unpleasant encounter with Kai at the gym, Minhee had gone home and fallen face first on her couch. Bora was probably going to be busy for the rest of the day, so Minhee had decided to take matters into her own hands and start her own private version of payback.

              Minhee twirled her hair on one finger that was not yet coated in peanut butter, applauding her new deep conditioner (her hair was just so shiny) as she giggled into the speaker. “I didn’t think I would either. But here I am.”

              “You had enough time to think?”

              “Yup,” Minhee bit her lip, hoping Minho would buy it. Even though Minho said that it was okay if she used him, she knew that he meant it in the “I want you to like me while you do it, sense.”

              “It’s been two days.”

              Crap. He was suspicious. Minhee aggressively scooped herself some more peanut butter and shoved it in , knowing that she probably had more on her face than in her stomach by that point.

              It wasn’t like Minhee had absolutely no feelings for Minho. In fact, she liked him a lot- too much, if anything. It was just that Bora had made a point; if she actually liked Minho then it probably was not a good idea to be doing this to him, to his feelings. Minhee wanted Minho to stick, she really did.

              It’s that she wanted Chanyeol to hurt as much as she did more than she wanted a relationship. Besides, she needed to do it before Chanyeol got in too deep with Seulgi.

              Focus, Minhee.

              “I want to give this a shot,” Minhee wasn’t lying. She did want to see where things led with Minho. “I’m tired of thinking. Nothing ever goes according to my plans, anyway.”

              Minho gave a small laugh. “You’re a real type A personality, aren’t you?”

              “I am the Type A of the Type A personality,” Minhee kicked her feet into the air over her head, setting the peanut butter to the side. “You get used to it, I swear.”

              “I already have,” Minho’s voice was affectionate. “Want to catch a movie? I’ll swing by your apartment at seven and we can grab something fast beforehand?”

              Minhee was impressed. She raised her (freshly plucked) eyebrows up her makeup free forehead. “Very traditional. Minho, you sap.”

              Lately Minhee had found herself wearing makeup less and less often. Her skin seemed happier with her, and as much as Minhee loved her war paint, she felt some of the pressure (that had been so constant that she barely noticed its presence anymore) left off of her chest. Minhee felt just a smidge better about herself when she wasn’t worrying about her outward appearance, when she wasn’t worrying about how Chanyeol would like her outfit.

              Giving up her heels, however, would probably never happen, though. She did love her stilettos.

              Hanging up her phone, Minhee checked the time: almost six. She sat up in a panic; she had just over an hour to shower, shave her legs (important! She hadn’t shaved them in a week), and apply her makeup (eyeliner was a must).

              Relax, a small voice in her head told her. He’s seen you at your absolute worst and he didn’t run.

              Taking a deep breath, Minhee frantically rooted through her closet and settled on a mint dress that fell just above her knee with her signature white heels. She could settle for silver eye makeup that would bring out her eyes and maybe a lip gloss.

              Actually, definitely lip gloss. This was a date, after all, so she had better make it her bubblegum flavor. You never could be too safe. She was doing this to piss off Chanyeol, but she was going out because she actually wanted to.

             

              Minhee had just pulled on her shoes when a knock sounded at her door. Swearing, Minhee tripped her way to the door; it had been a while since she had subjected herself to these shoes and it took some adjusting.

              “Wow,” Minho took her in. “You look- wow.”

              “I’d better,” Minhee grumbled at him as she locked her door. “I shaved my legs for this.”

              Minho laughed, throwing his arm around her waist and guiding her to the elevator. “I missed you.”

              Blinking, Minhee turned towards him, a small smile pulling at . Her eyes were bright. “I missed you, too.”

              “Minhee, you sap,” Minho .

              “You did not,” Minhee pressed her hand to her chest as though she were offended. “That’s my line.”

              The two laughed and joked the whole way to the theatres. Minhee didn’t feel her smile slip from her face once as they walked, and she felt better than she had in a while. She had only been to the movies on a date once before, and it had not gone so well.

 

              Minhee double checked herself in the mirror one last time as she waited for Chanyeol to pick her up; it was their eight-month anniversary, and she had spent three weeks planning her outfit. It was a fashion masterpiece, and Minhee was absolutely proud with her end result.

              She wore a scoop back black body suit layered under a red chiffon miniskirt. It had been pulled together with chunky gold jewelry and the highest, strappiest heeled stilettos she could find. Her legs looked amazing, her red lipstick and smoky eye were perfect, and her hair was half up, half down and curled better than she thought possible.

              The only thing missing now was Chanyeol. No rush, though. He still had five minutes.

              His arrival was announced with the soft knock on her door. Minhee grabbed her purse and walked (to the best of her ability- her heels were killing her feet already) to greet her boyfriend.

              Chanyeol looked up from his phone screen to smile at her. “Hey. You ready to go?”

              Minhee felt her chest sink at the complete lack of acknowledgement of her effort. She shook it off, telling herself that she was being a silly, vapid little girl. “Yeah, let’s go. I don’t want to be late.”

              Chanyeol was still looking at his phone, but he at least reached down to take her hand in his, squeezing it gently. That action made her feel a bit better.

              “What movie are we seeing?” Minhee leaned into Chanyeol’s side as they walked, and he let her hand go to wrap his arm around her waist and pull her into his side.

              He always ran hot, and Minhee was glad, for once; it was freezing outside and her dress offered her little warmth. Goosebumps rose on her legs.

              Chanyeol locked his phone and stuck it in his pocket. He noticed her shivering and rolled his eyes, shrugging off his jacket so he stood only in his hoodie and turtleneck.

              “Why do you always dress like this?” He sounded vaguely irritated. “You’ll get sick.”

              “I look good like this,” Minhee pulled her arms through his jacket and crossed them over her chest stubbornly. “I like the way I dress.”

              Sighing, Chanyeol pulled her in for a hug. “And I like you. But you don’t have to do this everyday.”

              “Do what?” Minhee played dumb. She knew that he would lose interest the moment she let him past her makeup and wardrobe.

              They were in front of the movies, but Chanyeol was not ready to let go of the topic. He gestured to her clothes. “This. These clothes, this makeup.”

              “What about it?” Minhee began to apply another coat of lipstick just to annoy him. Plus, she didn’t want it to crack- she had paid too much for the rest of her makeup for one bad stick of lipstick to ruin everything. “I like the way I look.”

              “Yeah?” Chanyeol sounded sad. “You look like a Barbie doll.”

              Minhee rolled her eyes, putting her hand on her hip. “Is it so wrong to want to look good for our date?”

              “Yeah. Whatever,” Chanyeol walked up to buy their tickets and when he came back to her, his phone was in his hand again. He did not look up from the screen as he handed her the ticket.

              They walked into the movie in a frosty silence, and even though Minhee cuddled into his side, and even though Chanyeol held her hand and rubbed the back of her palm with his thumb, the silence during the movie was even colder.

              They did not say a word to each other the entire time, and it was only after they exited the theatre that Chanyeol spoke again.

              “You know I love you, right?”

              Minhee knew that he meant it. “Yeah. I love you, too.”

              Chanyeol turned to face her. “No, like I love you.

              “Are we really going to do this back and forth who loves the other more contest?” Minhee lightly swatted Chanyeol with her open palm. “I love you, too, okay? Now just take me home, hmm?”

              Clenching his fists, Chanyeol closed his eyes for a second. “You don’t get it. This isn’t it.”

              “What don’t I get?” Minhee laughed. “We have been together for eight months, Channie. Don’t be silly. I know how you feel.”

              Chanyeol grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her in, enveloping her in a crushing hug. He buried his face in her neck. Minhee blinked in surprise but hugged him back, anyway.

              “Woah, okay,” she rubbed his back. “I’m not going anywhere.”

              “I miss you,” Chanyeol mumbled, his eyes squeezed shut. “So much.”

              “Okay,” Minhee felt unnerved for some reason. Something was off. “Okay.”

              “Don’t change, okay?”

              “Why would I?” She gently wiggled herself free. “I have you, and I’m not going anywhere.”

              Chanyeol gently held her by the elbows at arm’s length. He was completely serious as he stared her down. “I want you just the way you are, okay?”

              Minhee nodded, the smile slipping from her face. “Okay. I pinky swear, alright?”

              Chanyeol was oddly silent for the rest of the walk, but he held her hand so tight it almost hurt. Minhee wouldn’t have had it any other way, though. She couldn’t shake the feeling, however, that something was not quite right.

 

 

              Minhee squirmed in her seat, unsure of quite how to act around Minho. Should she hold his hand? Lean her head on his shoulder? She twisted her hands nervously in her lap. The popcorn had been finished ages ago, and the ice in the soda was all melted.

              “You can hold my hand you know?” Minho whispered in her ear, and she felt herself blush from head to toe.

              “Oh, be quiet,” Minhee grumbled at him.

              She took his hand, anyway. It was warm, and it felt nice. Minhee turned her head away so he wouldn’t see her smiling. The movie seemed to blur into the background, and for the next hour all Minhee could focus on was the heate that pulsed between her palm and that of the boy that sat next to her. She glanced over a couple of times from under her (heavily mascara'ed) eyes to see if Minho was smiling, too.

              He was. Every time she glanced over he seemed to feel it, and he would turn his head to give her a weird look. It was a strange cross between a stare and a grin, but Minhee liked it. No one had looked at her like that in a long time.

               "What?" Minhee whispered when he looked at her again. "What is it? Do I have popcorn in my teeth or something?"

              "No, it's not that," Minho reassured her. "I just think you're the prettiest girl I have ever seen."

              Minhee was glad the lights were off because she felt her cheeks go so red it hurt.

              "Thanks," she mumbled. Minhee was unsure of just how to respond.

              Minho shrugged, a smug smile on his face. "Just stating the facts, love."

              Deciding to play it cool, Minhee hid her embarrassment and leveled him with the stare that had her classmates fleeing from her wake. "I am well aware. No need to state the obvious."

              "Pay attention to the movie, Barbie," Minho laughed.

              Fat chance, Minhee thought to herself. His hand on hers was doing things to her mind and the swarm of wasps in her stomach.

              Even after the movie was over, Minho did not let go of her hand. He swung their arms lightly between them as they walked back together to Minhee’s apartment.  The walk seemed to be shorter than she remembered, and before she knew it, they were in front of her building again.

              “This was the best date I ever had at the movies,” Minhee shyly admitted. Her last date there had been more of an argument, anyway.

              “Only the best movie date?” Minho shook his head. “I’ll have to do better. I need to make your top three dates.”

              “I don’t know about that,” Minhee playfully ribbed him. “I’ve had some pretty great dates.”

              “Oh really?”

              Minhee grinned, shrugging. “Confidential.”

              "Come on," Minho laughed as Minhee twirled under his arm, not letting go of his hand as she did. "Tell me."

              "Mmm," Minhee let herself twirl away from him, but he grabbed her hand again and pulled her close. She pressed close, a coy smile on her lips. "No. I don't think I will."

              Minho caught her face in his fingers and tilted it towards his, his lips millimeters away and breathing down on hers. “I call bull.”

              Next came the part where he kissed her. It was a pretty good kiss, as far as Minhee was concerned because for some reason she couldn’t stop smiling the whole way up to her apartment.