Donuts and Guilt Trips

The Battle of the Exes

Hey guys! So I was bored and decided to throw some songs together for my story! Let me know what you think! I think they fit it well, don’t you? Give me suggestions in the comments for songs that you think best fit my plot and the characters and I will add them to the list. What songs do you predict will be suitable for the ending?

 

Playlist

  • Sorry- Beyoncé
  • If You- BIG BANG (Jungkook cover)
  • I’m Yours- Alessia Cara
  • Two is Better Than One- Boys Like Girls
  • Boom Clap- Charli XCX
  • Bullet- Chelsea Lankes
  • Big Girls Don’t Cry- Fergie
  • Miss Movin’ On- Fifth Harmony
  • War Paint- FLETCHER
  • Heartless- Kanye West
  • Primadonna- Marina and the Diamonds
  • Bad for Me- Megan and Liz
  • The Heart Wants What It Wants- Selena Gomez
  • I- Taeyeon
  • Greek Tragedy- The Wombats

 

Minhee was faced with one of the toughest decisions of her life. Sweat beaded on her upper lip as her brain ran at a million miles a minute.

What was the wardrobe protocol for the first meeting after a first date? It had been over a year since Minhee had been faced with such a dilemma, and she was no better at this than she had been a year ago. One thing was for sure- she was not wearing heels for a couple of days; she had walked almost two miles in six inch heels last night.

A year ago she had opted for a sundress and trainers. Trainers. What on earth was she thinking back then? Then again, a year and a half ago she had worn t-shirts out of her apartment and thought that she was socially acceptable. As if.

Kicking herself for not having the foresight to plan the outfit out in advance, Minhee swiveled her gaze between her light pink skirt with a black crop top or the yellow sundress. Either way Minhee was positive that she could wear the gold necklace that Chanyeol had bought her for her birthday.

What a er, she smirked at the memory. The necklace had cost at least five hundred dollars. Like hell was Minhee throwing away a perfectly good Tiffany necklace.

A closer look at the sundress had Minhee rubbing her chin thoughtfully, and a horrible idea entered her head. It was a really, really horrible idea.

Digging around in her closet, the girl pulled out her trainers. They had definitely seen better days- the original pure white was more of an off white and the stitching was a little frayed, but still wearable. Now that she looked at the combination of sundress and trainers, it wasn’t all that bad. Sure, it screamed innocence, but lord knows Minhee’s poor feet needed a break.

Minhee was pulled from her plotting by a knock on the door. Bora liked to sleep in on Mondays, so Minhee was clueless as to who it could be. Pulling on an old pair of shorts under her large t-shirt, she walked over and answered the door.

Minho grinned and brandished a bag that reeked of carbs and grease. Minhee’s stomach moaned.

“I brought breakfast,” he told her. “Can I come in?”

Realizing that she was completely barefaced and wearing nothing but an old t-shirt from high school and some cut off sweat-shorts, Minhee groaned internally; the boy really had the absolute worst timing. By this point, she really had nothing left to lose.

“Sure, whatever,” Minhee opened the door wider so he could enter the apartment.

Minho gawked around her apartment, and Minhee suddenly became very aware of the mess. Clothes were strewn all over her couch and a couple bags of chips were still on the floor.

“Nice place,” he smiled. “It suits you.”

Deciding to take his remark as a complement (but secretly offended that he would ever associate her with mess), Minhee showed him to her kitchen counter. “I am going to get dressed really quickly. Make yourself comfortable.”

“Okay, but hurry up,” Minho called after her, “or I will eat all of the donuts!”

Minhee pulled on the sundress over her head. Sure, it was a little bit more tight in the hips and the chest (Minhee resented Minho for bringing her those donuts when she was trying to lose her love handles), but it still fit. She emerged into the living space holding the trainers and her makeup bag (it was a very big bag).

“Donut?” Minho held one wrapped in a napkin out to her.

“Yeah, let me put my makeup on first,” Minhee sat across from him and handed Minho a mirror. “Hold this, please.”

Appearing nonplussed, Minho did as he was asked. “You use all of this?”

“Mm,” Minhee grunted her affirmative, already expertly applying her foundation and beginning to contour.

“This is like watching magic,” Minho was absolutely fascinated. “You do this every day?”

Once again, Minhee let out a grunt to signal a yes. A comfortable silence fell between the two as Minho watched her work.

“Why?”

Opening her mascara tube, she shot him a dirty look. “Because. I like it.”

“Why?” Minho peeked out from behind the mirror.

“It makes me happy,” Minhee shrugged, double checking her eyeliner before rummaging around for her lipstick. “It’s my war paint.”

“Oh,” Minho obviously did not understand, but Minhee was glad that he did not push the subject.

“All done,” Minhee smiled and capped her lipstick. “Now hand me that donut.”

“I don’t know,” Minho playfully slid the bag away from her greedy fingers. “Maybe I should help you out, considering that you just put lipstick on and everything.”

“Shut your mouth and hand me a donut, Buddy.”

 

Minhee missed the easy feeling of her trainers; somewhere along the way in the past year she had changed her footwear, and it sure had taken its toll on her ankles. It was like she had been reunited with an old friend.

Not that Minhee was going to stop wearing heels; they made her legs look way too good to stop now.

For once, Minhee did not feel like she wanted to mow down every person on her way to class; the walk was rather enjoyable. A small smile sank into the corners of her lips (painted a shade called tea rose- she liked the brand, but she was honestly having her doubts about the shade with her complexion; that was what she got for not planning her outfit in advance.) as she walked.

“Minhee?”

Okay, walk ruined. Minhee’s bright smile immediately fell into a snarl. Park Chanyeol.

“What do you want, ?” She growled as she turned.

So maybe she should have stuck with heels; he had a five or so inch advantage to the stare off, and Minhee hated that she had to tilt her head upwards to give him her full glare. Plus, the effectiveness of her death stare was all about angles, and she really could not achieve it with him way up there.

Chanyeol stood a couple paces behind her, looking as though someone had just punched him in the stomach. Eyes narrowing, Minhee tried her best not to do a touch down dance right then and there- her nasty little idea had played out perfectly.

“Nothing,” he mumbled, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. “It’s nothing.”

“Well,” Minhee tucked her short hair behind her ear and shot her ex-boyfriend a fake-innocent look. “I’d better go. Minho is waiting to walk me to class.”

“Minho?” Chanyeol seemed to find his tongue again. “You’re still seeing that loser?"

“Of course,” she batted her eyelashes. “We went to the movies yesterday. I guess that was our first real date.”

Something flashed across Chanyeol’s face, but it was gone before Minhee could place it. His mouth set in an irritated frown. “Why should I care what you do? I broke up with you, remember?”

"Oh, right, I almost forgot," Minhee refused to fall for his bait. “Thank you so much,” she placed a hand over her heart in mock sincerity. “You really did me a favor. Minho is such a gentleman. I couldn’t be happier.”

“Good,” Chanyeol stepped closer to her, crossing his arms over his chest. “I feel the exact same way.”

“Good,” Minhee refused to back down, lifting her chin in defiance and glaring up at him. “I’m glad that we understand each other.”

With that, she turned away from Chanyeol and left him staring after her in the middle of the sidewalk. A grin made her way across her cheeks, and she had to restrain herself from fist pumping. It was about time that she got the last word. She let her hips sway as she strode away; Cho Minhee was back.

She did not stop to check that he was in fact looking after her, but she had a strong suspicion. After all, she was wearing the same outfit that she had after their first date. Chanyeol had complemented her sundress and then he had spilled his soda all over it. Luckily, Minhee had been able to get the stain out, but the memory remained.

“There you are!” Minho stood from the wall he had been leaning against. “You took forever. I was beginning to think that those heels you wore last night had done you in and I was going to have to search the campus for you.”

“Fat chance,” Minhee smirked as she tiptoed to peck him on the cheek. “I’ve been wearing heels since before you were walking.”

“I doubt that,” Minho laughed as he slung an arm over her shoulders. “I’m two years older than you.”

Minhee shrugged. “I wore them in the womb or something.”

Laughing, her (she guessed) boyfriend planted a smooch on the side of her head, and she squealed, leaning away from him (but totally not breaking their embrace because his touch gave her the fuzzies).

“Minho! My hair!” She screeched, attempting to swat at him.

Minho dodged and a tickle battle commenced that lead to one kiss and then another. Both of them were smiling so hard that Minhee almost missed the flash of dark red out of the corner of her eye.

Chanyeol.

Glancing over briefly, Minhee looked just in time to make eye contact with the boy who she had cried herself to sleep over for months. For a second, she saw the exact feeling that she had felt all those nights reflected on his face, but she wanted to believe for a moment that it was a trick of the light.

She wanted to be happy that she had made him hurt, to celebrate in her small victory, but she hated that all she felt was guilt for hurting him in the same way that he had hurt her. Deep down, Minhee knew that she had been wrong for deciding to continue in her plan because not only was she undoubtedly going to get hurt again, but so was Minho. And Seulgi. And Chanyeol.

Chanyeol. Why did she even care about his feelings?

It was too late to back out now when the wheels were already in motion. Minhee closed her eyes, pretending that she had not seen her one-time love watching her and kissed Minho back like she meant it. That just made her feel worse.