Where it all Began

The Battle of the Exes

 

 

       The war began with five words that every girl in a relationship dreads hearing. From the beginning of time, every woman ever wooed and dumped by a man knows that the simple sentence is a load of crap. So naturally, when Chanyeol told them to Minhee right in the middle of their one-year anniversary date, she thought he was joking. 

 

 

       "It's not you, it's me," Chanyeol told Minhee as he leaned forward over their table, looking at her with a smug expression that rang with false sincerity. 

 

 

       Minhee had been enjoying her dinner thoroughly until that point, and with those words, she dropped the fork she had been holding back onto her plate in surprise, where it landed with a loud clatter. It was as if Chanyeol had ripped the rug out from underneath her; Minhee had never been dumped before.

 

 

       It was simple, really: Minhee was not the kind of girl who got dumped. So naturally, the words coming from Chanyeol's mouth made absolutely no sense.

 

 

       "Pardon?" Minhee asked Chanyeol with a confused expression, sure she had misheard.

 

 

       "I said," he pushed the food around on his plate for a moment as though considering how to phrase it, although Minhee knew perfectly well that he was merely toying with her. "I don't think we should date anymore."

 

 

        "Excuse me?"

 

 

       "You heard me."

 

       She knew he was full of it. Park Chanyeol had been a crap boyfriend, anyway. He had stood her up, flaked out on their plans numerous times, and had been an overall to her in front of his friends, who were really not much different than he was. The only reason Minhee had stuck around that long was because of his looks and his thick wallet.

 

 

       Nonetheless, his words hurt, and Minhee cursed the waterworks that she knew were not long in coming. 

 

 

       "But why?" Minhee asked, her chest constricting. She had no idea why she was reacting this way. No way was she about to cry.

 

 

       Chanyeol, however, seemed to take some pleasure out of her reaction. A smirk, no longer hiding in the shadows of his face, grew clear from ear to ear, and Minhee would have given her title and fortune to have been able to smack it right off. Her eyes began to fill with angry tears, much to her embarrassment. 

 

 

       "Look," Chanyeol pretended to sigh, as though explaining to a child. "You just aren't the girl for me. I need someone with a bit more," he snapped his fingers as though trying to come up with the right word, "well, more."

 

 

       Chanyeol leveled his gaze with Minhee's, grinning. That was her final straw. She stood up from her chair and threw the napkin she had kept politely in her lap straight at his face. She didn't hesitate to throw her water on him, as well. The worst part of it was that he seemed completely unaffected.

 

 

       "Park Chanyeol," she began furiously, her face a brilliant red and tears finally making their way down her cheeks. "I don't know why I ever dated you, you jerk!" 

 

 

       With that, Minhee slipped off her heels, grabbed her plate, and marched with as much dignity that she had left up to the hostess. "I'd like to get this in a box to-go, please," Minhee sent a glare in her now ex-boyfriend's direction. "Also, another order of bread sticks. Don't worry, they're on that guy's tab," She gestured towards Chanyeol.

 

 

       The hostess looked a bit taken aback, but nodded and did as Minhee asked.

 

 

       When she received the to-go boxes, Minhee not-so-discretely sent Chanyeol the bird, who was calmly eating his dinner at the table like nothing had happened, and swept out of the restaurant, where she then proceeded to call a cab.

 

 

       But not before totally keying Chanyeol's vintage Sportscar that he loved more than he had her in the whole year they dated. Served him right. The image of Chanyeol finding his baby all scratched up in the parking lot made Minhee feel a little bit better. She couldn't believe that she had shaved her legs and worn heels every day for a year for him because that's what he told her he liked. She couldn't believe she ever changed for him. 

 

 

       No, she told herself, straightening her back and smoothing her hair. Minhee pulled out her compact mirror to check her reflection and fix her makeup. If he wanted more, that's exactly what she would be. She was going to destroy Park Chanyeol and look fabulous while she did. 

 

      Minhee rode towards her college dorms in the back of the cab with one thought heavy on her mind: revenge. (Also to ignore the angry phone call that would no doubt be delivered to her phone any minute.)