Reasons

Grace

(Key’s POV)

 

I felt my phone vibrating against my arm, telling me that it’s already time to wake up and prepare breakfast, before we leave for another tiring day.

Taemin was already up in the kitchen doing his homework. I looked over and smiled slightly as I saw that he was stuck on a question. “How about I help you when we finish breakfast?” I offered. “Morning Key-hyung!” He turned and beamed at me sweetly before nodding. “That’ll be great hyung! Thanks!” He hopped off the stool and ran off to the bathroom to get ready.

 

I started frying eggs as I heard the rest of the members getting up, it was the easiest dish to cook and much less appealing as I’m not a real fan of eggs, that made it a whole lot easier to cope.

 Onew-hyung was probably stumbling around trying to find his slipper while he is half-awake and Minho had to be sulking and groaning, wishing to sleep for a few more minutes. I reached down and turned the gas off and set the eggs neatly onto a four plates.

I heard Jonghyun-hyung complaining about Taemin taking too long brushing his teeth and the memory of last night flashed into my brain.

 

I shivered and thanked god for Jonghyun not opening the door. He had forgotten to lock the door in his rush and god knows what’ll happen if Jonghyun found out about what he was doing. Hopefully he won’t bring the subject up during breakfast.

 

I placed a perfectly clean plate into the sink and wetted it before decorating the member’s plates with eggs with tomato sauce; each egg had eyes and a big smiley face.

I had already finished placing them on the table and got myself a cup of water so I wouldn’t look like I was waiting for them to finish eating. Jonghyun was the first to sit down, sending me a thankful smile before digging in.

 

The rest soon followed afterwards and all of them were eating. I tried to drink the water as slowly as possible but before long I was left with an empty glass and they haven’t finished eating yet. I moved to wash the glass out when Jonghyun decided to ask me the question I was wishing to avoid. “Aren’t you eating Kibum?”

I was calm when I gestured to the plate I had placed in the sink. “I ate before you guys came out”

He looked at me for a second before getting up and putting his own empty plate in the sink. “Thanks Kibum! That was delicious like always!” He reached over and patted my back. I just smiled softly back. “It’s okay” As long as you eat it hyung, I’ll make it everyday.

 

(Jonghyun’s POV)

 

The recording room was a lot stuffier than before despite it being minus 15 degrees outside. We have been recording for quite a while now and the members all looked a bit exhausted as they sat down on the chairs outside the recording room, waiting for their turn to record a special song that needed to be recorded separately.

 

I lifted the headphones off my ears and placed them back on the stand. I smiled as manger-hyung gave me a thumbs-up as he was chatting with the sound producer-hyung. I got out of the stuffy room and went over to Kibum.

 

His face was pale and he looked even more exhausted and worn-out than the rest of us. “Hey, it’s your turn” I pinched his cheek and he swatted my hand away.

“O-Okay…” He took in a deep breath and got up and walked stiffly into the recording room. Wait…he walked stiffly? Kim Kibum? I looked over to the members but they were too busy checking out their phone. They obviously hadn’t seen.

I looked over at Kibum through the glass of the recording room and frowned when his face looked strained as he started to record. Sweat was dripping off his brow and I swore I saw his hands shake as he lifted the lyrics in front of him.

 

Another confusion. Kibum never, I mean never had to use lyrics during a recording before. He always had memorized each and every single word of each of our songs off by heart. So it definitely was weird as to why he had to use it today.

Maybe he was too tired to study the lyrics? Yeah, that’s probably the reason.

 

We all had a short rest as we waited for Kibum to finish. I frowned as I flipped my phone open. An hour had passed already, what was taking him so long? 

I got up over to the glass and peered in. Oh God. Sweat filmed over his already pale skin and he looked like he was going to faint any minute. But before I could ask manger-hyung for him to take a break he was already done, taking the headphones off and walking like a zombie towards the rest of us.

 

“What’s up Kibum?” I moved aside for him to sit down as our manger handed us each a bottle of water and a big plate of cold noodles for us to share. “Nothing much” He was wiping the sweat off his forehead with his towel. “Yeah right, you look like ” I opened the lid and drained all the water inside. “Maybe I’m just not feeling the best today, but otherwise I’m totally fine”

 

Oh really now? Then why do you look like your going to pass out at any moment now?

 

A clatter of chopsticks were heard before Taemin rushed over excitedly and handed each of us a pair before sitting cross-legged on the ground in front of us, holding the plate of cold noodles out waiting for us to join him. I laughed along with Onew as we all sat down with Taemin, all except Kibum.