Chapter 6

Highschool Cafe

Everyone was busy doing something in preparation for their grand opening. Irene and Wendy were brainstorming on what kind of cupcake or cake they will make to showcase their new café. Neither had come up with a good one because all of their previous ideas were either too plain or too common for them.

 

"Aish. We should have really discussed about this last night. It will take a miracle for us to come up with something that is really good." Irene complained out loud.

 

Wendy looked down after hearing Irene complain. She knew Irene called last night but she forgot to call back even though she was the one who asked her to call. To add to that, Irene seemed to be a really shy person. Hearing her complain must mean that she is pretty frustrated. Right now, she couldn't help herself feel apologetic.

 

"I'm sorry. I should have called back." Wendy said with an apologetic look on her face which caught Irene off guard.

 

"Hey, it's alright. Uhmm... I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something... Hopefully." She replied as she patted Wendy's back and sat beside her.

 

Wendy started playing with her phone when she stumbled upon her selca with the cute bear from yesterday. Her face suddenly brightened.

 

"What if we do a bear form pastry?" She suggested.

 

"Bears are cute but they're pretty common you know." Irene replied.

 

"I know. But it won't just be purely bear. How about for our specialty we do an ice cream crêpe cupcake with a bear head! We can even have it customized according to what the customer likes if it's a girl or a boy, color of icing, flavor of the cake and such!" Wendy excitedly continued to explain.

 

Irene sat frozen for a while as she tried to imagine how they were going to pull it off. Wendy was earnestly waiting for her partner's thoughts on the matter."Yes or No? Yes or No? Yes or No?" Wendy kept on asking playfully. Irene suddenly snapped out from her imagination and stared at Wendy with a stern face which eventually was replaced by a very pretty cute smiling face.

 

"Yes! I think that will work just fine! That was a very awesome idea partner!" Irene said with her hand extending with a thumbs up gesture.

 

 

"Awesome! We should start the preparations! Oh right, I'll go inform Jessica and Tiffany so that they can add it on our menu." Wendy said as she walked out of their kitchen.

 

"Thank you Ms. Cute Bear for the idea." Wendy said to herself.

 

 

Wendy immediately told Tiffany about their plan. She  squealed after hearing their concept. She even demanded a pink bear for her dessert later. Everything was now working accordingly for the café even though they only have an hour or so left till opening. Although Tiffany started to prepare her area late, it didn't take her much time to set it up. After finishing her own menu, she handed her menu and the pastry menu to Jessica outside to quickly print and write their menus on their electronic board.

 

"Unnie, here are our menus for the dessert and sandwiches. Finish it up with your coffee and tea add-ons. We don't have much time left before opening! And oh, don’t forget to wear the outfits that I prepared for you guys!" Tiffany said out loud to Jessica from the kitchen door.

 

The other two people with Jessica outside heard what Tiffany said and had their game faces on awaiting for orders ( sounds like a robot thing or something xD). "You heard Tiff. Tae, go print around 50 copies of the menu, while Yoona go and write the menu on the board. There's a stylus at the back of the board. Use that." Jessica relayed the tasks to the other two. Although she wanted to get back at Taeyeon for making fun of her, she didn't really have the luxury of time at that moment so she just decided to let it pass.

 

"Oh wait! The three of us need to change into our work clothes or else Tiff will kill us." Jessica suddenly exclaimed. Tiff demanded to make us outfits because she didn’t want us to look like regular café servers or something like that. Taeyeon and Yoona looked puzzled at first but they were definitely impressed after fitting into their uniform. "Daebak. Fany really has some fashion sense." Taeyeon said which caught the attention of Jessica who grunted as if she disagreed with what Taeyeon said.

"Okay! So now that we are all dressed up. Let's head to the entrance as we wait for our opening time.

 

“Wait!” Irene shouted while she was running to the entrance bringing a signboard with pictures.

 

“Here, we thought having pictures of our menu will help attract more customers. Okay that’s all. Get us some customers you guys!” Irene said as she handed the signboard to Jessica.

 

“That’s a pretty good idea.” Yoona said.

“Well, that’s our Irene!” Taeyeon proudly added.

 

Jessica also agreed that this will surely help bring in more people, but they never planned to have another signboard added to the entrance so there is nothing to put this on. There is also no way that she’ll be holding this one for the rest of the day. Then, she realized this is her chance to get back at Taeyeon.

 

“Hey Tae. I have an important job for you.” Jessica said to Taeyeon.

 

“Yes? What is it?” Taeyeon replied.

 

“Here, you hold on to this and make sure you get people to come in, okay?” Jessica said with a sly grin on her face.

 

“WHAT?! But it’s so hot out here Jess!” Taeyeon complained.

 

“You’ll be fine as long as you stay within the shade of the roof. All of us inside will be counting on you to bring in some people, okay? Come on Yoon, we have to do our job too like Taeyeon.” Jessica replied with a hint of sarcasm towards the end.

 

Yoona didn’t really like the idea of having Taeyeon stay outside holding the signboard since it’s the middle of summer and it’s freaking hot outside, but she didn’t have any choice since she’s on Jessica’s bad side. She even thought that Jessica would have made her do it. So she just patted Taeyeon’s shoulder as she followed Jessica inside the café.

 

9:00am

 

A little girl was walking along the café when she noticed the signboard that Taeyeon was holding. “Woah! Omma I want to eat that! The bear looks so cute!”

And with that little girl, customers started to arrive. Most of them were there for the bear crepe but when they entered the café and saw Yoona and Jessica, majority of them stick around just to see them.

“Hey guys! My name is Taeyeon! Come on check out our new café! We have some really good menu suitable to fight that summer heat!

 

“Hi! My name is Jessica! Welcome to Café High! What would you like to have for today?”

 

“Hi! My name is Yoona and I will be serving for you today. Have you decided your order yet?”

 

All three of them were busy the minute people started walking in. They never expected to see this many people. Taeyeon’s 50 copies for the menu immediately vanished so they had to make around 150 more copies just to be sure. The people outside were not the only ones busy as Irene, Wendy and Tiffany were struggling to keep up the pace of the orders.

 

“Hul, Wendy, your idea practically caused all of these orders.” Tiffany said as she pointed out at the stack of bear crepe orders.

“Hehe, I only came up with the idea. Irene was the one who made it look like this!” Wendy cheerfully said praising Irene’s design for the crepe.

“You’re too humble Wendy, but I guess I’ll take that compliment!” Irene replied laughing.

 

At around 11am, they decided to close the store for their lunch break. It was still pretty early for lunch but the nearby school that is having their summer session will be off at around 1pm so they want to be ready in case there will be a lot of customers looking to cool off from school and the heat.

 

Taeyeon came in and immediately lined up a couple of chairs to lie down on. She was clearly having one of the roughest time compared to the rest of them because the heat was really bad. Jessica looked at her lying down and she started to feel guilty. Yoona saw Jessica’s expression change so she decided to go and talk to her.

 

“Hey Jess, I’d like to switch with Taeyeon. She looks really exhausted from the heat outside.” Yoona suggested.

 

“Huh? Oh, yeah. That would be great. I’m feeling really bad looking at her lying down like that. Can you be the one to tell her when she wakes up? I’m afraid she might have some bad feelings towards me for putting her outside.” Jessica replied with a sorry look on her face.

 

“Sure.” Yoona replied.

 

“Hey guys! Come on in. Let’s eat our lunch.” Tiffany called out.

 

The five of them gathered inside the kitchen. All of them were pretty exhausted since they never expected their opening to have that many customers.

 

“I just want to lie down and roll around my bed.” Wendy said.

“Me too.” Irene said.

“Me three!” Tiffany added.

 

Jessica looked at the three cooks and she thought about Taeyeon too. She paused for a while before she suggested to them to actually go and take a nap.

 

“Take a nap? But it will take too much time to go back home.” Irene said.

“You don’t have to go home. You can take a nap in our house.” Jessica replied.

“Is it close?” Wendy asked.

“Well, it’s a couple of steps away.” Tiffany replied smiling.

“Huh?” Both Wendy and Irene asked in confusion.

 

Jessica and Tiffany walked towards the supposed manager’s room and they opened the door. The other three followed them inside and they were astonished to see a garden in the manager’s room.

 

“Uhm. What is a garden doing inside a room?” Yoona asked.

“Pabo. It should be clear to you now that this isn’t a room.” Jessica replied.

 

The five of them continued to walk towards the other end. When they got there, Irene, Wendy and Yoona were even more shocked to see that they were basically inside a big mansion.

“DAEBAK.” All three exclaimed.

“Haha. I knew you guys would say that. Well, since you guys are already here. You can go ahead and pick a room. They should be able to fit two people in the same bed.

 

“We’ll take that room!” Irene raised her hand as she crossed her arm around Wendy’s. The two immediately zoomed towards the room and jumped on the bed.

 

“I think Taeyeon’s sound asleep. It will only bother her if we have her move here. I’ll just turn up the AC inside the café and bring her some pillows. How about we extend our break to two hours Tiff? Is that okay?” Jessica said.

“Sure, I’d love to have that much time to take a nap. We can just close at around 8pm then.” Tiffany replied.

“Great, then I’m off to bring Taeyeon some stuff to keep her comfortable.” Jessica said.

 

Yoona was just looking at the two siblings, waiting for them to finish their conversation.

“Uhm, I don’t have anyone to share the bed since Taeyeon won’t be coming in.”

 

“Oh! That’s fine! Come Yoon, you can just sleep with us.” Tiffany replied with a pretty big smile on her face. She led Yoona towards their room. It was a single room but it was a very big one. There is a divider in the center so that each side can have their own privacy. Tiffany jumped on the bed and invited Yoona to do the same.

 

“I fall asleep really quickly so just don’t mind me and just sleep comfortably, okay?” Tiffany said to Yoona who just nodded.

 

After 10 or so minutes, Tiffany got up and moved to the other side of the room leaving Yoona on the bed.

 

“Kekeke.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hey y'all! New chapter here! How'd you like the chapter? The opening day part is kind of long because I wanted to use it to maybe augment characters seeing that with only three people inside the kitchen, it will really be hard for them and that they might need more people. This might mean more characters but won't necessarily mean that they'll be part of the main storyline. How did you like the interactions? XD Jessica feeling bad for Taeyeon and Tiffany's scheming for Yoonsic. I'm happy that Irene has started to warm-up towards Wendy.

Next chapter will be the last part for the opening day and the story will progress a bit faster now with days passing by quickly and events happening not on a daily basis. :)