7. Blue (edited)

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Seven
~ Blue ~

That time controlling thief was someone he had to find. Aside from the connection he had felt, Lay had an inkling that he’s needed. If only someone would tell him where a certain man with cat-like eyes is living. But the people in the neighborhood where the thief had disappeared into were closed lipped, as if protective. At least he had learned that the thief was in here somewhere, if the protectiveness was any clue.

He had been going back and forth Guarire and Volta for days now, and all the travel was taking its toll on him. He did think about giving up numerous times, but his conscience couldn’t let him. His instinct had been telling him that he had to find the thief soon.

“You there,” someone called with a raspy voice.

Since he was the only one on the street, he was sure he’s the one being called. An aging woman going out of her rundown house made him pause his walking. She was one of those who didn’t tell him anything about the man he’s trying to find. What does she want now?

“You’ve been walkin’ round and round for days now.” The old lady squinted her eyes at him. “Still bent on finding the cat-eyed thief, eh?”

“Yes,” he answered. “Have you changed your mind on giving me his whereabouts?”

The lady didn’t answer him, instead she tilted her head as she examined him. “You’ve got a healer’s glow. Where’d you say you’re from?”

“I’m from Guarire.” He politely supplied. “And yes, you can say that I’m a healer.”

“What do you want with the thief anyway? Did he steal something from you?” she questioned, suspicion in her voice.

“No,” he honestly said. “I met him in the market a few days before, and I just had to find him.”

“Just had to find him, huh,” the lady snorted. “If Qiang wasn’t sick, I wouldn’t point you to their house.”

“Sick?” Lay was puzzled. “He’s sick?”

She ignored the question. “Take that path, walk straight, then turn left. You’ll find a house like mine. It’s the only one there.”

“I -” he started, but stopped. He’s better off finding out on his own. “Thank you,”

The old lady waved him off. Lay passed by her and took the path beside the shack the lady came from. He followed her directions and after a few moments, another rundown house entered his field of vision. That must be the thief’s home. Without any hesitation, he went straight to knock on the door. There was no answer for a couple of minutes, but it suddenly opened.

To say he was surprised was an understatement. He can barely make out the cat-like eyes of the man since it was almost shut close with a pair of black eyes. And that’s not the only injury. He’s got bruises and cuts all over his physique, like he had a fight and lost.

“Who are you and what do you want?” the thief questioned hollowly.

“Are you, um, Qiang?” he asked, remembering that Qiang was sick.

The man stilled before glaring at him. “Qiang is dead.” was all he said before trying to shut the thin wood that was supposedly a door.

Lay stopped him. “But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter