24. Rogue

Arcanum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Twenty Four

~ Rogue ~

 

They were on a small ship in the middle of Lacrimae. Having departed from Umido three days before, they were still days away from reaching Guarire. And it was a little boring. The crew people on the ship were serious and silent. They’re too into their job, which isn’t a bad thing. Not at all. But them having work made Suho feel restless. All he could do was have small conversations with Ahra in between her heaving.

“Are you alright?” he asked as Ahra bent over a bucket, retching for the umpteenth time.

When she was done, she wiped at with a sleeve. Finally, she looked up at him. “I’m fine.”

“I gathered.” He smiled with sympathy.

Ahra huffed, unamused by the pity. Probably because she can see that he’s not getting how she feels. He doesn’t but it’s not his fault that they’re surrounded by something he can control. And even if he can’t understand her seasickness, he still feels sorry. She looks like she wants to cry every time the ship moves. Obviously, it’s unavoidable for the ship to move.

“I hate water.” She muttered, glaring at subject of her hatred. There was water in every direction you look from the upper deck, which was where they were at the moment.

He eyed her curiously. “Hate? Isn’t that too much?”

“No, it’s actually an understatement for my case.” Ahra sulked a little. “And I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual.”

“The water can’t hate. It’s inanimate.” he pointed out.

She rolled her eyes. “I meant that figuratively.”

“Ah,” he nodded, feeling stupid for not getting that. “And why do you think the water also hates you?”

“It had already tried to drown me twice now.” She complained. “It keeps on trying to pull me under.”

“Well, doesn’t that mean it likes you? It wanted to keep you.” He explained. It’s his job to defend the water, seeing that it won’t be able to defend itself against Ahra’s accusations.

“Huh,” Ahra mulled it over. “You have a point.”

“So, you’ve drowned twice now? The time my men saved you from Lacrimae wasn’t the first time?” he questioned.

“No, I had drowned when I was a child.” She replied. “It’s my first memory.”

“First memory?” he frowned in confusion,

“I can’t recall the life I’ve had before I was eight years old.” She admitted.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter