Namjoon

Minute By Minute

                As Namjoon left his first period class, he ran into a blonde boy muttering in English.  He looked at the boy in confusion, but the blonde didn’t take notice of him. Namjoon chuckled and waited until he stopped to talk to the blonde.

“Of course, you would be late for the first day of school. You’re in a new country and you barely understand anyone,” the blonde muttered.

          The blonde slammed his locker shut and pouted. Namjoon smiled and tapped the boy on the shoulder. The boy almost screamed, but didn’t.

“Could I be of assistance?” Namjoon asked in English.

“You speak English,” the boy said.

“Yes, quite well actually,” he said.

“What’s your name?” the blonde asked.

“Namjoon and you?” he asked.

“Kevin, nice to meet you,” Kevin said.

“What brings you to Seoul? I figured that you weren’t from around here,” Namjoon asked.

“I’m here for the music scholarship,” the blonde said.

“Did your whole family pack up from your old home and move here with you?” he asked.

 “No, just me and my step sister, Amber,” Kevin said smiling.

“I think I’ve seen her,” Namjoon said.

“I’m sorry. I’m probably bothering you. You have to go to class too,” the blonde apologized.

“No, it’s totally fine,” he insisted.

The principal came out of his office and asked the two of them to come to his office. Namjoon assumed that it has to do with Kevin or even something else. Kevin was nervous. He looked over at the younger and told him to follow him. Kevin nodded.

“Mr. Kim, you are one of the best students when it comes to speaking English.  I need you to show Mr. Woo around the campus and help him until his Korean gets better,” the principal said.

“But sir, what happens if we don’t have the same classes?” Namjoon asked.

“No problem. He doesn’t have a first period because it is English, so second period you are going to follow his class schedule for the next few weeks. Your teachers have already been told. They will work around your current schedule,” the principal explained.

“Sir, I don’t want to inconvenience to Namjoon or any of his teachers. I’ll be okay by myself,” Kevin said.

“If you insist, Mr. Woo, you can head to class, but Mr. Kim will be of assistance for this week. We will discuss the arrangement later on this week. Now please head to your next period,” the principal said.

“Yes sir,” Kevin said.

          The two of them walked out of his office and headed to Kevin’s next class which happened to be moral education. Namjoon had not problems in this class, so he figured that Kevin wouldn’t either. They entered the classroom and sat in the back.

          As Kevin focused on the notes the teacher was writing, Namjoon took a look at his counter. It had disappeared. He was shocked at first, but he just smiled. He had to admit the blonde was rather cute. He was glad that it was Kevin and not someone like Yoongi. He would probably kill himself if it was Yoongi.

          Kevin stole a glance at him and asked him if everything is okay. Namjoon just nodded. The shorter male went back to taking notes. Occasionally the blonde would steal glances at Namjoon. Namjoon would softly smile back at him.

          He pulled out his cell phone and messaged Yoongi. The elder male had asked why he was in the principal’s office. He told the shorter that he was playing to Amber’s brother. Yoongi told him to bring him to their lunch table. He told the shorter to not use Kevin like that. The elder told him to shut up. Namjoon stopped messaging Yoongi after that.

“Hey Namjoon, what do you think about the soul mates and the counter?” Kevin asked.

“I think that the counter isn’t really necessary at times. I mean it’s nice to know when you are going to meet your soul mate, but wouldn’t you rather guess who your soul mate is?” Namjoon answered.

“I mean I guess. I think it’s easier this way. We know who our soul mate is, and we don’t have to go through heart break after heart break just to find them,” Kevin said.

“True, but think about all the different people you get to share a piece of you with. Think of all the days that you could spend with someone else,” the taller said softly.

          The bell rang before Kevin could say anything back.  Namjoon got out of his seat and went to his locker. He didn’t need any of his books today, so there was no use carrying them around.

“Hey,” Yoongi said.

“How did photography go?” Namjoon asked.

“Everyone wanted to work with me,” the elder said.

“I imagined. Who are you working with this time?” he asked.

“Some kid named Taehyung, the kid Hoseok always picks on. I swear that he likes the kid or something,” Yoongi answered.

“Who knows,” Namjoon said.

“Is that the kid that Mr. Jung had to babysit?” the shorter asked.

          Namjoon turned around and Kevin was walking their way. Yoongi raised an eyebrow as the younger smiled at him. Namjoon felt a light punch hitting his arm.

“What?” Namjoon asked.

“You must like the kid,” the elder stated.

Namjoon raised his shirt sleeve up to show the elder where his counter would be. Yoongi laughed and walked away. He rolled his sleeve down to cover this arm before Kevin came over to him.

“Who was that?” Kevin asked.

“My friend, Yoongi,” he said.

“Oh,” the blonde said.

          Namjoon asked Kevin what his next class is. They walked to class and sat in the back of the room again. He was staring out the window before Kevin had cleared his throat to speak.

“Meeting your soul mate is like feeling this pull towards them. It’s like no matter where you go or who you are with no one else could be yours. You feel deeply connected to them. You feel like you have to be with them. You feel like you have to protect them,” Kevin said.

“I kind of feel like you stole that from a movie or something,” Namjoon said.

          The bell had ringed and the teacher walked into the classroom. Namjoon continued to stare out the window. He was thinking about what Kevin had just said. His words cycle through his mind like he hasn’t understood them.