Yoongi

Minute By Minute

All his life Yoongi has been waiting for that time counter to go down. His parents told him that his soul mate would appear once it was time. Yoongi remembered asking them how he will know. His parents only told him that he will know when it is time.

          Yoongi’s eyes flew open once the alarm clock rang. He groaned. It was the first day of his last year of high school. He trudged out of bed and to the bathroom. He looked at himself in the mirror. He wasn’t particularly ugly nor was he extremely attractive. He was average. He sighed and stepped into the shower.  He put on his school uniform and headed down stairs.

          “Good morning,” his mother said.

          “Morning,” he said.

          They ate in silence. Yoongi was not the one for talking especially in the morning. He was not a morning person. He wanted to crawl back into bed and sleep.

“Yoongi, it’s time for school,” his mother said.

“I’m off then,” he said.

“Have a good day!” she exclaimed.

          He groaned as he walked out the door. He looked at the counter on his wrist. “August 25th, 2014, 12:00pm”  He sighed. He was supposed to meet his so called soul mate today. He wondered if his soul mate was younger than him. He wondered if she was tall or short, if she was pretty or cute, and is she is someone in his grade.

          He shook his head at the thoughts and kept walking. He wondered if he’ll have any classes with Namjoon this year. Namjoon is his best friend and only friend. The younger was smart enough to skip a grade, and tall enough to be a senior as well Yoongi on the other hand was not as smart and wondered how he ended up being friends with the younger.

“Ay Yoongi!” Namjoon yelled.

“Hey,” Yoongi said.

“Have you met your soul mate yet?” the younger asked.

“Not yet, have you?” he questioned.

“Nope,” the taller said.

“I’m supposed to meet her today at lunch,” Yoongi said.

“What if it is not a girl?” Namjoon asked.

“Shut up,” the elder said.

          Yoongi and Namjoon parted ways when they walked through the doors.  The smaller of the two had to put his books in his locker. He made his way to the locker. He heard whispers and chatter around him. He saw Hyosang and his friend in front of the lockers. Someone had spray painted the guy’s locker. He felt pretty bad for the guy, but there was nothing he could do about it.

          He unlocked his locker and took out the books he didn’t need. He sighed again and went to his first class. He sat down and pulled up his shirt sleeve. The counter was still on his wrist. It was only eight o’ clock.  

“It is going to be a long day,” he said to himself.

          The teacher walked into the classroom with a new student. He could only tell that the new kid is a girl by her uniform otherwise he would have called her a guy. She was cute, he thought.  

“Guys, this is your new classmate. Her name is Amber. She came all the way from the states,” Mrs. Kim said.

“Hi, my name is Amber,” she said.

          Her voice was a bit deeper than most girls, but Yoongi didn’t care. She was cute. He wondered if the principal has said anything about her hair color. The bright red hair was not something that he has seen in school before.

“You’ll be sitting next to Yoongi,” Mrs. Kim said.

“Yoongi?” Amber asked.

“Here,” he said.

          Amber sat beside him. Yoongi smiled shyly at her. She smiled at him. He didn’t know why but he was nervous with her around. He wondered if she is his soul mate. He knew that once you meet your soul mate that you will know. He wondered if this is him knowing.

“Hi,” he said.

“Hey,” she said.

“You’re pretty good at Korean for living in the states,” he said.

“Thanks, I guess,” she said.

“Sorry, I’m probably making things awkward,” Yoongi said.

“No, it’s fine. I get that a lot. Truth be told, I’m not even Korean. I’m Taiwanese,” she replied.

“Really?” he questioned.

“Yeah, my step brother is Korean though. He’s another new student too,” she answered.

“What made you move to Seoul?” Yoongi asked.

“I got a scholarship for the music program here,” Amber answered.

          Mrs. Kim had started talking about the school and classroom rules and everything that they were going to do in class. She talked about how their seatmates are going to be their project partners for the rest of the year. Yoongi heard some of the students groan. He was perfectly fine being Amber’s partner.

          Class was dismissed before the bell had ringed. Yoongi watched students jet out of the class room. He watched Amber also leave. He wanted to catch up to the red head, but Namjoon came in.

“I think I’ve met my soul mate,” Yoongi said.

 “Really?” Namjoon asked.

“Yeah, that girl that just left, the red head,” the elder said.

          Yoongi had hit the younger before the taller had the chance to make a snide remark. Namjoon looked at him with a confused expression. The shorter glared at him and pushed him.

“What class do you have next?” the shorter asked.

“Music,” Namjoon replied.

“Photography,” Yoongi said.

“See you at lunch,” the younger stated.

          Yoongi nodded and headed to his next class. Amber has to be his soul mate. He knew it. He had that feeling that she is.

“Hey Yoongi!” Jungkook exclaimed.

“Summer break did you well kid,” the elder joked.

“Am I good looking now?”  the younger asked playfully.

“Whatever you want to believe,” Yoongi answered.

          Jungkook had left the elder alone. Yoongi watched as the younger walk off. He questioned how Jungkook even knew him. The kid knew pretty much everyone.  The kid was only a freshman, and he was quite popular.

“Seokjin, everything is going to okay,” Hyosang said.

          Yoongi overheard Hyosang and the other guy’s conversation. He didn’t mean to, but they were the only ones in the hallway. He watched as the other guy stare at his locker. Hyosang had hugged the taller one tightly. The thought of soul mates came to mind whenever he saw them together.

          He only wished that he could be like that with his soul mate. He sighed and went to his next class. He didn’t want eavesdrop on the two any longer.  He passed by the teachers’ offices and saw Namjoon in there. The idiot had gotten in trouble on the first day of school, he thought.

          He was ready for this day to be over.  He sighed once again and entered the class room. He figured that maybe this class would be a breeze. He laid his head on his desk and waited for class to start. He only hoped that someone he knew was in this class.