Chapter 5

A Gisaeng's Heart

It would be two weeks before Seungri was finally allowed to come back to the Lee household. The Minister welcomed him back personally, stating he’d known since the moment Seungri had been born that he’d become the best guardsman for his son.

Seungri found it strange, but comforting to be back into his old routine. Donghae had looked like he’d not gotten much sleep in the 2 weeks since the attack. Dragon was a constant source of reassurance in the back of Seungri’s mind, alerting him to things he’d not seen before. The Lee household was in a huge bustle of activity not long after he returned. “What’s going on?” Seungri stopped one of the servant girls who’d been friendly to him before.

“The Minister finally sent the marriage proposal to the Minister of War.” She told him excitedly. “The Young master met Lady Choi while you were gone and agreed to the match.”

Seungri couldn’t believe his ears. 3 weeks ago Donghae had sworn he’d never marry the Choi daughter because it was considered a political match to reinforce the strength and ties between the houses and to appease the King. He wondered what had made Donghae change his mind.

I sense another shifter.’ Dragon pressed on his senses. Seungri gave a rare smile of thanks to the girl as she scurried off to whatever task she’d been sent to do. He strode toward the entrance to Donghae’s quarters. His nose told him it was the smell of a wolf. The bitter smell made Seungri sneeze. Even after being at the Conclave, the smell of a canine was enough to overload his senses if he wasn’t prepared for it. Looks like he’d have to do more work with the wolfsbane. Dragon grumbled unhappily at the thought of dealing with the acrid smelling herb again.

“I didn’t agree to be married in a week!” Donghae’s voice rang clearly in Seungri’s ears.

“Young master, I understand that this is faster than what tradition dictates, but the King ordered you be married now. He’s become quite paranoid about something from the reports in the palace.” A male voice replied. Seungri couldn’t quite place who that voice belonged to.

“I know this.” Donghae’s voice replied back, irritation laced with annoyance in his voice. “I thought the King was only going to give his opinion on whom I should marry, not when!” A thump sounded clearly to Seungri’s ears, sounding suspiciously like one of the many books Donghae was reading in preparation for taking the government official exams.

“The King decided unexpectedly that all Ministers with marriageable daughters and sons had to submit their choices and he would chose the pairings.” Another man, presumably Donghae’s long time teacher, replied to the irate nobleman. “No one knows why he chose to do this against tradition. He has the Queen Dowager and the Queen Mother both upset with him over this.”

Seungri sniffed the air conspicuously while tuning out the private conversation between Donghae and his retinue. He turned swiftly and pointing his covered sword at the side of the building. “Whomever you are, come out now.” He growled. He was surprised at the ferocity of his voice and realized that Dragon had added his displeasure at the smell of a wolf to Seungri’s voice.

A timid young looking servant girl peeked around the corner, squeaking in fright at the sight of Seungri pointing a sheathed sword at her. “I’m sorry sir.” She dropped to the ground, exposing her neck to him in submission. He hadn’t expected her to submit so quickly.

Seungri felt bad suddenly. “I didn’t mean to frighten you little one.” He said soothing, lowering his sword. “I’m Clan, not Pack. You don’t need to submit to me.” He said.

“You are much stronger than I. It matters not if you are feline or canine. I must submit to those more dominate than I.” She trembled.

Seungri sighed. Shifter ranks still confused him, especially the Pack ranks. He ran a finger over the girls’ neck in acceptance of her submission as he’d been taught at the Conclave. “Stand little one. What is your name and which house are you from?”

The girl threw herself into a deep bow. “My name is Park Sunyoung.” She said, practically burying her face into her skirts. “I….I was sent from the Choi household to fetch the requirements for the wedding dress and got lost.”

Seungri smelt the girls’ shame. “I am truly sorry little one for scaring you.” He smiled. “I can lead you to the Lady Lee’s quarters.” He reached out and pulled Sunyoung straight. “You don’t have to bow to me like that Park Sunyoung. I’m just the Young master’s guard. My name is Lee Seungri.”

As he led the wolf pup to the Lady’s quarters, he decided to ask the question that his feline had been begging him to ask. “So, which Pack are you affiliated with?” He asked casually.

“Pack Cho.” Sunyoung replied almost obediently. “I was born into the Pack, to answer the next question your feline has for me.”

Seungri chuckled. “So I take it Dragon has introduced himself to your wolf?”

She nodded, a smile gracing her face for the first time since they met. “Her name is Luna and she is most pleased to meet you and Dragon.” Sunyoung said confidently before wincing.

Seungri realized that the girl must have to tiptoe around the Choi’s if she’s being overly submissive to him. “It’s ok, you can relax with me.” He encouraged as he lead her around the corner of the low inner wall of the household. “Here is the Lady’s quarters. Would you like me to stay?”

Sunyoung nodded, a blush crossing her face. Seungri announced to the Lady’s room that someone from the Choi household was there to pick up the garment requirements. Sunyoung meekly bowed to the slave that opened the house quarter doors and beckoned to her to come into the house.

For a wolf, she’s pretty cute.’ Dragon told him, sounding amused. ‘Luna told me that she’s not the only shifter at the Choi household, but they’re all Pack, not Clan.’

Well, that was unexpected. The lone feline would be smack in the middle of a bunch of wolves. This day was getting better and better. He would have to report back to the Clan about these unexpected findings as Ji Yong and Daesung had both advised him to be alert to his surroundings and report anything he found odd to them, even if it was something they already knew.

I don’t want you to get too friendly with the wolves.’ Seungri scolded Dragon. ‘D told us before we left that anyone from Pack Cho was to be handled as if they were compromised. One of their wolves maybe running with the rogue feline attacking humans.’

The sound of the door opening alerted Seungri to Sunyoung coming out of the quarters. “Don’t forget to give Lady Choi the requirements as soon as you get back to the Choi household.” Lady Lee said, personally escorting the servant out the door.

“My Lady I will do so with most haste!” Sunyoung replied, clutching the sleeve of parchment pieces to her chest.

“Oh good, Seungri, you are here.” Lady Lee spotted him standing comfortably off to the side of the step. “I know you are just back from recovering from that dreadful attack, but I must ask you to please Miss Park back to the Choi house.” She gave Seungri a bright smile.

Seungri nodded, bowing low to the noble woman. “It would be my honor to ensure that Miss Park is back to her Lady’s house without harm.” He said. Seungri knew that the wedding garment requirements for the daughter of the Choi household were very precious and of the utmost importance.

Master Lee had yet to impress the importance of this wedding onto Seungri, probably expecting Donghae to do so in his place, which had, of course, slipped Donghae’s mind the moment Seungri had announced he was fit and ready to resume his guard duties the day after he’d come home. Sunyoung smiled brightly at him after she tucked the parchments into the sleeve of her hanbok. They both bowed to Lady Lee and her maid before heading off.

 

 

 

A/N: I know it's not Tuesday here, but it is in Korea, and that means it's Leeteuk's discharge day!!! *does happy dance* So here's a special treat for you, my readers!! Also if you have a Twitter and don't know already, but #WelcomeBackParkJungsoo is trending right now world wide and ELF's are trying to keep it up to welcome back Leeteuk. I'm also on Twitter @Miharu_sama so feel free to follow me. My twitter is usually updated with either video's I've like on Youtube, AO3 story updates, or just random thoughts or retweets from others. OH, and yes there will be another chapter updated tomorrow as per the regularly scheduled updates :)  ENJOY!