Chapter 5: Escaping Your Pain

You Left Without Saying Goodbye

 "What's for dinner? I'm starving." I asked, sitting on the kitchen table. Tao looked back at me, shook his head, and turned his attention back to the cupboards.

 "What do you want??" he asked.

 "Honestly, I could go for some spaghetti."

 "Out of any food, you're telling me you want something as simple as that?"

 "Yes. With sauce of course and lots of salt." He looked at me to make sure I was serious. Once he saw that I was, he sighed and grabbed a pot.

 "Fine. It'll be done in a bit." He said, defeatedly.

 "Thank you! You're the best, panda." I walked up to Tao and hugged him from behind for a moment before walking back into the livingroom.

 


 

 "Thank you! You're the best, panda." I heard Amber said before she ran out of the kitchen and into the livingroom.

 "Hey, Suho!" she greeted me. I smiled at her, handing her the tv remote.

 "Make yourself at home, Amber." She gave me a thumbs up, giving me a big grin. I couldn't help but ruffle her hair, she was acting too cute not to. After a moment, I walked into the kitchen and glared at Tao, my arms crossed.

 "What do you think you're doing?"

 "What are you talking about, hyung?" Tao turned around from the stove and looked at me with confusion. I walked over to him, leaning against the table and made my voice where only he could hear me.

 "You never have had an interest like this with Amber. Since when were you best friends?"

 "It's amazing the connections you make when something sad happens." Tao chuckled, turning around and messing with making spaghetti. Annoyed, I put one hand on his shoulder.

 "You're up to something, I can tell. Whatever this is, leave Amber out of it. She has nothing to do with what happened. She is an innocent girl, not a part to play in your scheme. I'm warning you Tao, before it gets worse." Tao grabbed my hand and threw it back to my side, rapidly turning around. He had a mischievous grin on, seeming to be both bitter and happy...as if he ate a lemon just now.

 "I'm not up to anything hyung. I am sad that you would think that." he said matter of factly, still fake joy in his voice. There was no doubt in my mind that he was up to something. This isn't like Tao. It is as if he is a completely different person, completely unrecognizable.

 "Tao..."

 "Ya! Suho! Manager wants to ask you some questions!" I heard Lay from upstairs. Dammit.

 I pointed at Tao. "Don't do anything stupid or that in any way harms Amber. I'm warning you for the last time." He chuckled, putting his hands up in defense. Still suspicious, I walked away and went upstairs.

 


 

 After a while, I finished the spaghetti. It only took me fifteen minutes, but it did look worth it. I made a bowl for me and Amber, walking back into the living to hand it to her.

 "Thanks Tao. It looks delicious." Amber said, happily taking the bowl. She quickly twisted her fork in the food and took a big chomp out of it, a calm smile appearing on her face. Good, the food is well done.

 "Anytime. I'm your chef for tonight."

 I put the food on the table across from me, leaning back in the couch. Amber was busy watching some movie about CIA agents or something, I was too busy daydreaming to care. Should I worry about Suho being nervous about my true intentions. It's almost like he saw right through me. Has my behaviour been that noticably odd? I would say it has been different since Kris left, so it shouldn't be too weird.

 "Aren't you going to eat your food."

 "I don't know why, but I'm not hungry anymore. Do you want my bowl?"

 "Sure, thanks." Amber took my bowl and began devouring it. Damn, she wasn't lying about being hungry earlier.

 While she was glued on the movie, I had a chance to look at her. She was fragile and here I was, acting like the knight in shining armor who is saving the princess in distress, when in reality I was about to sacrifice her life to get revenge on the real white knight who had betrayed me. All I was was the dark prince, tinkering with his chess pieces in order to get his way and declare a final checkmate.

 I wasn't going to lie, that last part made me smirk but also made me feel sick. I was the guy who had the guts to get what he wanted, but of course this character is usually a pained psychopath who never gets his way in the end. It made me feel better when I thought I would be the first to get his way, but then again, isn't that what all of them thought before their untimely death? I shook my head, trying to get these stupid thoughts out of my head. This wasn't a movie, so the possible outcome could be totally different. There was no guarentee I would fail....but there wasn't a guarantee that I'd win.

 Finally giving up, I began trying to pay attention to the movie. That's when I felt something land on my side. Amber had fallen asleep. I started to look to see if she spilled the bowl of spaghetti, but aparently she managed to set that on the table before becoming unconscience. I rolled my eyes. Dammit. What am I supposed to do now with a sleeping Amber? Do I carry her back to her dorm or keep her here or what?? Before I realized it, I yawned. Well, it didn't look like I was going to get up and waste whatever little strength I had left.

 Sleepy, I laid back down on the couch and put my feet up, I carefully arranged it to where Amber was sleeping on her side on the outwards side of the couch, snuggled up tight against me. I grabbed the blanket on the side of us and quickly put it up in the air, letting it slowly fall to where it completely covered us. I then proceeded to take a pillow and put it underneath out heads, carefully lifting Amber's head momentarily. I closed my eyes, but quickly opened them again when I felt Amber stirring next to me. She had turned her body around to where her head was snuggled in my chest. I couldn't lie, she was very cute right now. She reminded me of a kitten snuggling into their master. Seeing she was still asleep, I closed my eyes and let sleep take me as well.

 


 

 "Hello, Mr. Wu. What can I do for you?" the woman at the desk asked me as I walked in. I ignored her, quickly walking towards the door next to her.

 "Wait! Mr. Wu! He is on a phonecall presently! You musn't disturb him at this time, he's -" I opened the door and saw him turned towards the window on his phone. The secretary got up and stood behind me, giving me an angry look before setting her sights on her boss and looking apologetic towards him. Once he realized the door was open with me and the secretary here, his eyes widened.

 "Could I call you back? Thank you. I'm sorry, something very important came up. Thank you."

 "Mr. Wu, please don't disturb him right now." the secretary then said.

 "It's fine, Mrs. Yun. Let him in here with me. With the look on his face, something is bothering him immensely." The secretly glared at me before turning around shutting the door behind her. I was too upset to care about that stuck-up, self-centered brat. Something far worse was going on and I was no where to stop it.

"Please...would it be possible I could hold off our plans for a week?" I pleaded to my lawyer, Cho Bum Suk.

"Sit down Wu, please." I did as he said and took a seat in front of his desk. "Don't tell me you are having second thoughts now, are you??"

 "No, sir." I shook my head 'no'. "I just have a very important situation going on back in Korea and if there is any way I can go there, I'd be very thankful."

 "Yi Fan, I'm sorry but it isn't a good idea what so ever. We haven't even had a meeting with the lawyers of SM yet. If you are spotted back in Korea, because I know you fans will easily track you if they haven't already, the situation will be much worse. As your lawyer throughout this case, I wouldn't let you make that mistake."

 "It's just this girl, she is in danger." He raised an eyebrow, confused. "Well, my friend...who used to be my friend...is going after her in order to get to me."

 "I'm sorry to be the one to say this, but once you left it became none of your concern. Besides, aren't you still undergoing treatment?"

 "It can wait. I feel this is very important. There has to be some way."

 "Unless you want to pay them in trillions of won, I really have to say no. I'm sure your doctors would say the same thing."

 "I understand, thank you." No. I couldn't take no for an answer. I am going to have to find my own way to get to Amber without getting caught.

 "Again, I'm very sorry. I take it you really love this girl."

 "You really do have no idea how much I care about her."

 


 

 Dammit....I am going to be late. I can't believe it's almost eight in the morning! I only have a few minutes to get myself to the SM building. , , ! Very quietly, I s out of Tao's hold on me and got off the couch. I feel bad for not telling him where I am going, but I'm sure he'll figure out what happened. Damn, if only I had gone home last night. Immediately, I ran into the kitchen and grabbed my cellphone and put my shoes on before running out of the EXO dorm and onto the sidewalk. I was running to my meeting, isn't that a great way to start my morning?

 Once I got to the building. I ran to the room I know we'd be having our meeting in. Once I walked in, I was glad to see it was only the other four f(x) girls in the room.

 "Amber? Where the hell have you been?" Krystal stood up, hands on her hips. After that, the others stood up and now everyone was circling me.

 "Long story. I'm glad I made it in time."

 "Barely!" Victoria chastized me. Now I felt really guilty. "Your hair!! It is a mess!! Why are you so late? Wait, isn't that the clothing you wore you wore yesterday? Were you with a boy!?" She asked, putting her hands on her face for the last part of her mini-interrogation. I began to comb my hair with my fingers, trying to make it look at least a little better.

 "Where did you go? Were you really with a boy?" Luna asked me, grabbing my hands in hope. Did I really look that weak and lonely to them?

 "No. Well, I was techniquely with a boy, but a friend. I'll talk about it later, but how do I look?"

 "Fine, now. They should be here in a few minutes. I guess our comeback will be really soon." Luna said, clasping her hands together. It was no surprise we were all itching for a comeback. Our group only had an album once per year, so we didn't get out much needless to say. Sulli spinned around in her chair in excitement while Luna and Victoria did the 'Rum Pum Pum Pum' choreography. Krystal didn't really show much enthusiasm as she just began texting. Once the door opened, everyone took their places in their seats and took on a more....sophisticated expression.

 


 

 "Wake up, it's already eleven." I felt someone shaking my shoulder, me groaning in protest. However, the shaking didn't stop. I opened my eyes to see Kyungsoo.

 "Can't I sleep in just this once?" I whined, pulling the blanket over my head.

 "No, you are an EXO member, not a lazyass. Besides, you're in the livingroom. Get up. Rise in shine! Let hyung watch tv." Ahh, so that is what this was about.

 "I hate you." I mumbled before getting up on my feet and stretching. I put the blanket on the couch and began walking into the kitchen. Slowly, all the events from yesterday started coming back to me. Wait...where's Amber? When did she leave, she never woke me up. Oh wait, she had that meeting thing today. Wait, why do I care? If she's here, she's here. If she's not, well she's not here. It wasn't my job to look after her. That was only for appearances.

 Sluggishy, I walked to the refridgerator and pulled out a bottle of water and began drinking from it. Still, I couldn't get Amber out of my thoughts. Why is that? Shouldn't she just disappear like a fly? It's not like I'm close to her or anything. I twisted the cap back on my water and yawned. It's probably because I saw too much of her yesterday. Yep, that's probably it. I began heading upstairs to go take a shower.