Behind Mr. Kim's offer

Eight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of tree branches rustling against the windows echoed the guest room. Hurricane is hitting in the area and it is not a good sign for every time the wind blows, the therapist flinched. Chanyeol grabbed on his bed sheets, eyes still open. His mind alert with every foreign sound he could hear. Though the moonlight is the only source of light, his profile can be seen. They were the face filled with fear. Since Jongdae announce that they’ll stay for the night, Chanyeol wished for mercy. The thought of the owner sneaking in during his sleep bother him too much.

Therefore, he throw the bed sheets to the side and place both his legs on the cold wooden floor. Chanyeol dragged his feet towards the door, grabbing a pillow beforehand for safety reasons. The taller his dry lips as he peek out of the hallway, hands still on the door frame. He checked the left corner, no presence of human. He turn his head to the right, a faint light can be seen from few rooms away. Jongdae left the door open.  Well maybe he can sleep with Jongdae by his side.

Hands tightly grip on the fluffy pillow, Chanyeol make his way towards the room. His head whipped back and front, making sure he is not followed. Paranoid really is one of his traits. The therapist are ten steps away from the door, only to momentarily stop as he heard a faint voice. It belonged to two male, fully immersed in a conversation. The voice came from the room. Who could be in the room with Jongdae if it wasn’t the ivory freak? Are they planning something behind his back? Chanyeol shuddered by the idea.

 

“Are you sure about this, Mr. Kim?” Baekhyun asked. He received a small nod from Jongdae.

“H-He… appeared again.” Jongdae shakily said, avoiding his eyes. The owner sighed hard.

Baekhyun stirred from his standing position and seated himself at the edge of the bed, where Jongdae curled. He pat on his lap, motioning the shaking male to lay his head on the empty space. The boss hesitate for a moment. He then obliged by Baekhyun’s gesture and slowly rested his head on the male’s thigh.

Jongdae closed his eyes as he began to think of his past. Minseok. Minseok is all over his head. Why is he occupying his head? Oh Minseok, the boy who love baozi. It’s not love, it was obsession. If Minseok were to choose between money and baozi, the boy would choose the delicacy instead. Jongdae lips curled, he was smiling. Baekhyun watched the male’s expression. They were pitiful smiles. One that Baekhyun know very well. He wear the fake smiles too.

The owner’s hand rustled on the brunette’s wavy hair, resting his fingers at the side of his temple. “I want you to concentrate, Mr. Kim.” He ordered.

Just like he was ordered, Jongdae think hard. He stumble to one of his past memories, one from a year ago. A year from today. As much Jongdae hated to recall what day it is, he have to. He think harder, lips quivering from the pain he felt. Today is his second anniversary with the baozi lover. The word second is only valid, if only Minseok is by his side. But that is all in the past.

The boss walked on a street, opposite direction from the crowds of people. Just like the others, he came here minding his own business. Jongdae set to buy a cake for their special day. He was amazed by the colorful lights that illuminated his trip. There were lots of green, red and blue dot that flickered along the sidewalk. As he was passing the crowds, he glimpsed at several couples and loner. Though he was walking alone, he knew he is not a loner. His love Minseok is waiting for him at home.

Paying the cost of the vanilla fruit cake, Jongdae skipped out of the bakery. He whistled his favorite tune, holding the cake freely using his left hand while the other stuffed in his pocket. The day marked their first year together. Ever since Minseok agreed to be lawfully his, Jongdae couldn’t be any less happy. He is the happiest man on earth. His baozi lover completes him. He was his other half. That thought made his whistling more joyful.

“Mr. Kim, is this the memory you want to erase?” the owner speak up.

Jongdae nod his head. Yes he want to erase this. He went back to the memory. He is now stood by the door, searching for his keys. Just as he was about to unlock the door, he was shocked by the state of the apartment door he shared with his lover. The door knob was broken. Whoever was behind it, they must have entered the place forcefully. His mind snapped to Minseok.

Baekhyun rests his fingers on the boss’s temple. He started to tremble. His brows creased as the image he sees from the male’s memory disturbs him. It was as if Baekhyun borrowed Jongdae’s eyes. His ivory orbs now replaced by the brown orbs belonging to Mr. Kim. It was dark. Someone was laying on the floor. The body rests in a pool of blood. 

“Minseok!” Jongdae run towards the frozen body. The cake on his hand fell hard on the floor. The only sound he could hear is soft whispers. Minseok is whispering.

Shaking hands cupped on the male’s pale face. Minseok turned pale, he is losing blood. The pale male’s mouth open, trying to make out words despite his life threatening conditions.

“I-I’ll call the ambulance. Hold on.” Jongdae dialed for the ambulance, his hands never leaving Minseok’s.

Minseok watched him in dim light. He was at the edge. The pain from the stab turns numb as nerves started to lose its sense. With every strength he had left, Minseok hold Jongdae’s hand. The male’s hand is cold. Jongdae is talking with the operator, his eyes in the verge of tears. The boy was trembling as Minseok smiled. He mouthed ‘it’s okay’.

The face of Jongdae in shaking his head and inaudible screaming is the last thing he sees before everything went white and his systems shut down.

Ambulance came five minutes later but that doesn’t matter. Minseok died anyway. The trembling male cursed himself, if only he didn’t leave. If only he stayed just for a few moments when Minseok asked him. Minseok would be alive if Jongdae arrived sooner. His dead lover would be breathing and safe if he’s a second earlier, just before the criminal break into the place.

Whatever the police said in the interrogation room, Jongdae turned deaf. He lose the love of his life and now he’s stuck in a place that pester him if he ever saw the intruder. His ears sting as the interrogator tell him that Minseok was brutally stabbed by a knife. Four blows in the chest, another three on his abdomen and two more by his left limbs. Minseok was fighting for his life but that was all in vain.

“He said ‘it’s okay’” Jongdae shakily said. “How can I be okay when he’s murdered?” his hands grip to the side, clenching on the mattress.

Through his ivory eyes, Baekhyun witness tears escaped from the boss’s closed eyes. His long eyelashes wet with grief. Seeing hurts, but the male on his lap felt more. He can never understand the burden of Mr. Kim. He’s a mere stranger but he was human enough to know that losing someone you love is not a joke.

The first time Jongdae entered his premises, Baekhyun hesitated. Because the person avoided his eyes. Clients never look him in the eyes because that will reveal everything. Baekhyun is able to infiltrate into people’s memories, be it sad or happy memories. Memories are painful but they served purpose too. And Baekhyun is cursed with the power to whip it off from someone’s mind. He appreciate memories but why are normal human beings keep asking for the complete opposite?

Mr. Kim asked him the same request from other clients with the same reasons. His client is not a bunch of happy people. Regardless of age and motive, they are equally the same. They were dying inside. If only Baekhyun could whip off a broken heart so they can turn new and beating, he would do so. But he was incapable. Memories fade but the pain lingers. And the living proof is a sobbing male on his lap.

“Take a deep breath, Mr. Kim. This will hurt a little.” The owner softly said as he began to close his eyes and concentrate.

November 26th, a month to Christmas. Cold days and nights, winter’s coming. Seven o’clock in the evening until five in the morning. That’s the time and place his client asked to erase. From Jongdae’s walk to the bakery up to the part he’s stuck in the negotiation room.

Memories removed.

Indeed Jongdae forget what happen two years ago. November 26th now seems like a normal day for him. But he couldn’t stop crying. Why is he upset? Nothing is wrong with Minseok. Minseok died during November but it must be due to sickness, right? Why does he felt tortured? Why does his heart telling him otherwis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter