9 - Happy Times

Don't Go

When the morning sun rose up, almost everything on the road had gone dry. The leaves on the tree were still dropping waters, but didn't stop the birds to stop by and chirp. 

The woman in the embrace stirred first. Once she opened her eyes, the sun from the window was overshadowing the face in front of her. She could still see the perfection of the other's face. Unconsciously she used her hands to carress it and enjoy the beauty for a moment.

"Mmhh" Her awakening voice made the owner of the hand pulled back.

Sunny let her own eyes opened and caught Taeyeon's stare. Her face got brightened and as if it was automatic, her hand found a way to Taeyeon's face.

"Good morning" She greeted.

"Good morning too" 

Unlike the previous times, the silence was comfortable. Their eyes were glued and their fingers played around each others' in harmony. It continued that way to the point where Sunny just couldn't hold her feelings that she suddenly grabbed Taeyeon by her waist.

Taeyeon blushed madly when she realized what Sunny was doing to her. The slightly younger woman was carrying her, bridal style, to the living room now. 

"I can walk by myself" She gave a late comment.

"I don't care. I just want to do it" 

Sunny put her on the sofa and sat on the top of her, making Taeyeon locked within her body. She started kissing Taeyeon on the lips without doubt.

"I.." Taeyeon tried to mumble a word between the kisses. "I love you, Sunny"

Saying nothing, Sunny just replied by deepening the kisses. Surely, she thought, no woman could resist the hormones raising in their body once they were doing something like this. She was like any other woman out there, wanting to touch and be touched. 

She started lowering her lips down to Taeyeon's neck, but her logic warned her and she stopped and took back her lips from the white skin.

She should never forget how Taeyeon was hurt in the past by something like this. Furthermore, she was not sure if Taeyeon was allowed to do 'that' in her condition right now.

Taeyeon ended up tilting her head, looking at Sunny innocently.

"I love you too" That's the only thing Sunny said to finish off. "Do you still need to go to work today?"

"Yes"

"Well, you know.. Since we're both now.. I mean, now you don't have to be burdened of asking my help anymore. I am.. your girlfriend"

"Are you?"

"I'm not? Don't ever say something such as 'I don't deserve your love blah blah blah' ever again. Understand?"

Taeyeon giggled upon the declaration. "One night of being my girlfriend and you can read my mind already?"

"Oh please, I've done it ever since we met"

"You know what. I can ask for a permission from my boss today. We can go off somewhere"

Sunny's happy expression was unexplainable. "Are you sure?"

"I think.. That's the only thing I can do to make you happy as a girlfriend, and to repay all of your kindness"

"Well let's go then! But.. where to? I can't take you somewhere too far, of course"

"We can just stay in the house all day, as long as we're together"

Sunny tapped her toes on the wall. It didn't take long enough for her to bring to the other woman and whispered.

"I have a good idea"

 

The journey to what Sunny called 'her grandma house' was not long at all. It was still around the same neighborhood, but just a little further away. The houses were smaller, but there were more small ponds and wide meadows here and there. 

"I grew up here when I was small" Sunny began. "Actually, not that I lived here, but I spent most of my time here"

"Is she your biological grandmother?"

"No. My grandmother passed away when I was still a baby"

Taeyeon just nodded. Now that Sunny told this to her, she just realized how little she knew about her current girlfriend.

"What about your parents then?" She decided to ask again.

"They live outside the country most of the time. They still visit once in a few months. Ever since I was a kid, I've had this dream of being an independent daughter. I've got two sisters, so my parents don't have any son. I'd like to be a kind of 'son' for them, being able to do everything myself and being a bread-winner for my own family"

"Which explains why you live by yourself now" 

"Yes. So when I was small, my parents often left me with my maids, and I would spend time here playing with the neighborhood kids. This grandma always paid attention to me from far away, like if one of my friends pushed me and I fell down, she would come and give me a bandage"

When they arrived, Taeyeon saw a small, old and weak figure in front of an old hut. Sunny ran and hugged the old grandmother with a childish laughter.

"Grandma, I want you to meet someone" Sunny said and looked at Taeyeon, giving eye signals for Taeyeon to come closer.

"Good afternoon, grandma. My name is Kim Taeyeon" Taeyeon bowed as the grandma gazed at her with her not-so-good vision.

"Oh, hello, hello there. You look very beautiful. So beautiful right, Soonkyu?" The grandma laughed.

"Grandma! Don't say my real name!" Sunny groaned while Taeyeon looked at her in surprise.

"Your real name is Soonkyu?" Taeyeon let out a short laugh.

"Look at your reddish hair! She looks so beautiful right, Soonkyu?" The grandma repeated again.

"Stop it, grandmaa" Sunny begged. "By the way, grandma, I'll take Taeyeon to the pond first. I'll come back to you later"

"Alright, alright. Have fun. Young people should have fun" The grandma grinned widely.

Sunny took Taeyeon's hand and stepped away from the old hut. They came alongside a long river. 

"She's a very funny person right?" Sunny asked as her eyes rolled to the wide sky.

"She is. Anyone can tell that I have brownish hair, not reddish" Taeyeon chuckled.

"She's old and her vision is blurry"

"I know. And I'm grateful for her that now I know your real name"

"Yah! Don't call me with that name! I hate it!"

"Soonkyu-ya. Soonkyu-ssi. Soonkyu-nim"

Sunny pretended to pout, but then she suddenly smiled. "If it's you who calls me like that, I don't mind"

"Really? You just said you hate it"

"The only person who can call me that is the grandma. But now, you can, too"

"Why?"

"Because you're special. Only special person can call me that" 

Taeyeon's face reddened all the way to her ears. She tried to hide it by clearing .

"Where are we heading to by the way?"

"To my favorite place. Are you tired?"

"Just.. A little bit"

"We are here" Sunny pointed to the big pond in front of them. She grabbed Taeyeon's hands once more as they approached the quiet area.

Taeyeon took a look around. It was not that really beautiful area with birds flying all over the sky and beautiful flowers on the ground. It was just a really simple pond with some tall trees, but it was very quiet. For a moment she felt like this was not part of a city.

"Everyone has had a childish wish when they were small. Mine was, I wished that I could go here someday with someone so special to me and hold her hands" Sunny explained once they were right beside the edge of the pond.

Taeyeon gave her a suspicious look. "You sure have taken some special girls here with you and said the same thing"

"What? No. I have never taken anyone here. Not even Hyomin"

"Hmm" Taeyeon sat down. "You maybe have wasted your special wish to go with someone like me"

"Heeey, see? There, you said it again. No such thing as feeling unimportant in front of me" Sunny pouted for real this time. "If you're not that special, I wouldn't have taken you here"

"Yes, okay, Soonkyu-nim. Okay" 

Sunny laid down on the grass and kept her eyes on the blue sky. Taeyeon decided to follow along. For a while, the sound of the water and the birds were the only sounds filling the silence.

As seconds ticked by, Taeyeon stole a glance toward Sunny when she realized Sunny had closed her eyes and drifted into a nap. She then thought over and over again regarding Sunny's statement.

No such thing as feeling undeserved. But how did exactly Sunny fall in love into a woman like her? Would it last for forever? Sure, she had Sunny now and Sunny had her. And how about her little one? She couldn't ask Sunny to take care of little one too. That's gonna be too much to ask.

Or maybe, she was just thinking too much.


It was already a little late when Sunny woke her up. The sun had begun to set. They bid their goodbye to the grandma and walked home in the darkness.

"Are you hungry? Want to eat somewhere first before home?" Sunny slipped her fingers with Taeyeon's.

"No, it's okay. Let's just eat at home. I can cook" 

"Okay then" Sunny gave her a smile.

The only phone in Taeyeon's pocket vibrated. It had been a while since she changed her phone number and got a message. At times like this, there was very little possibility that her family could track her phone number. 

She was quite sure it must have been a mistake until she opened the message box.

Taeyeon-ah, this is Baekhyun. I finally found your phone number. Where are you actually right now? I'm really worried.

Her hands shook by themselves right after she finished reading. Her body felt cold from head to to toe. The anxiety began creeping at her. Nevertheless, she put back her phone directly inside once she noticed Sunny's eyes on her.

"Anything wrong?"

She tried to calm her own heart and compose herself. Taking a deep breath, she faced Sunny with the most pretentious bright smile ever.

"Nothing. Everything's alright"