Opposites Attract

He and She

 "Hey, why are you so gloomy today?" Luhan sat across the table on one of our hangout places in the university, and imitated me.

I gave him a dreaded look.

"And grumpy?" he added.

Luhan is my best-friend, my oh-so handsome best-friend.

"Shut up, okay! It's none of your business, well...it's one of your businesses..." I yelled at him.

"What is this all about again? Acting so annoyed at me, when I'm trying to help you with this unknown problem of yours?" he said with his soft tone.

"Oh stop right there! You want to help me? Really?" I rolled my eyes at him.

He lowered his head and massage his forehead with ease.

"Of course... I'm your friend..." he said as if he was tired of me.

"Really? A friend who tries to ruin his best-friend's love life? Luhan... I know you had some cocky conversations with Chanyeol..." I smirked. He sighed deeply and look away. In short, he has nothing to say.

"See... I'm right, isn't it?" I said smiling sardonically.

I stood from my seat. I have nothing to talk with him. I was about to walk back inside the building, when all of a sudden he grabbed my hand harshly. There was obvious darkness in his eyes and I felt frightened by the Luhan in front of me. I forgot that even though he's my friend and displays his out-most caring side in public, he's still a male who can dominate my inferiority.

"You're saying that because you know nothing... you don't know anything, let me tell you this... Someday you'll thank me..." he said.

He left me standing there. This was the second time I felt scared of him.


Luhan was actually the best thing that our school had and I'm the worst thing that the students want to kick out from it, but then we became best of friends. Yes, I became a friend of a model student and friend of all. I also thought it was crazy. Even though we have quite contrasting attitude since I'm this war-freak, as they judge me, and a loner student everyone hates, we still became friends.

You might be curious, how come we have been friends. Though it's not a quite fancy encounter, I think I still need to tell the whole story.

Well, it happened when a random group of wannabe girls bullied me inside the girls' comfort room. I'm a well known war-freak but in front of these wannabes, I surrendered. I don't want to be killed with those scissors which targets not me but the uniform I'm wearing.

So, I just let them bully me. They splashed a pail of cold water on me and cut holes and slits on my uniform. I just let out a sigh after they left with satisfaction.

I was completely helpless that time, and the only thing I was thinking was that I'm going to sleep in the girls' bathroom the whole night. Because, obviously no one's going to check on me on that hour. With that in mind, I cried. Well... no one will hear it, so it won't affect my reputation as the school war-freak.

After one minute of sobbing, I heard small scratches of sports shoes, soft sounds then louder and louder. I continued crying, I didn't care about some athletic guy from the varsity team to come, and rescue me like a prince. It's not my style in the first place.

I don't want to be a princess who pity herself and waits for my “knight and shining armor”. It's just, I can't go out from this comfort room, because I looked like a girl by a gang. Basically,  I can't do anything and just cried out all my frustrations.

“What the---” I heard a shocked voice.

I slowly raised my head and saw one of my greatest fears “Luhan”, my ultimate opposite.

“You are the war-freak girl, am I right?” he asked politely.

“Excuse me?” I asked glaring at him.

How can he say such barbaric word in a polite tone.

“Oh... Did I say it wrong?” I rolled my eyes on his completely clueless expression.

“Okay... I'm sorry to disturb you but I think it's kind of weird taking a shower with your uniform on...” he slightly furrowed his brows.

So, now he's talking. I'll be glad if he said a wrecked uniform.

“If you think it's weird, then I also think that it's crazy that you entered the girls' comfort room” I retorted irritably.

He scrutinized me and left. Ah-ah, he's the same, judgmental and not friendly to someone like me. They were all the same being friendly to people the same as them and set aside those who were different.

But after cursing him, I felt guilty when he came back bringing a huge white bathroom towel and I guess his huge shirt. He threw the towel on my head and handed his shirt.

“I never thought that a war-freak can be bullied like this” he sniggered.

“Well now you know... and I guess I have to point out something that you didn't understand about 'the war-freak thing', I was just branded war-freak by I guess 75% of the school's population because I joined the martial arts club and got suspended for a week because I punched a filthy senior scumbag last year, that I think you already knew” I replied a bit pissed off.

He cleared his throat and acted formal and serious.

“I guess you need a new set of uniform, you can't go to school with that...and... maybe a dress... you can't go home wearing that uniform... don't you think?” he expressed changing the topic while I'm changing to his shirt.

I ignored him. Then, I realized that I haven't got my salary for the month. So, definitely I can't buy a new set of uniform or a dress as he said.

I wore his shirt and smelled the scent of his manly perfume on it. But, I noticed that there's no shorts or even jogging pants with it. So, I resorted on using the bathroom towel by tucking it to my waist to look a skirt.

When I went out feom one of the cubicles, he stared at me and scratched his head forming a tiny smile on his lips.

“I'm sorry, I didn't thought about that, I think I should get you an adjustable shorts...” he said sheepishly and get out of the comfort room to probably fetch an adjustable shorts,  as he called it.

He came back with basketball shorts on his hands and gave me a sorry look while handing it to me. I accepted it knowing I don't have other options, better than the towel circling my waist.

“Nice... you really wanted me to look awful don't you...” I sarcastically said but he didn't give a damn or talked back to me.

When I went out of the cubicle wearing his clothes I supposed, he pulled me out of the comfort room and accompanied me to the lockers. I quickly got my bag and few things I needed for my Physics homework.

When we got out of the building, he requested me to stay on my spot and wait for him. But, I can't comprehend why I should wait for him and be exposed to the eyes of some students walking pass me while I'm wearing this kind of outfit.

So, I walked towards the gate when he ran to the parking area of the school. I got my smart-phone from my backpack, plugged my ear buds and listened to my play-list to prevent myself from hearing unnecessary comments from other students.

I was startled by the blue car who nearly bumped me and I was ready to punch whoever this reckless driver was.

“Get in the car...” he briefly said after the window slid open.

“You... you got the nerve to say that when you nearly killed me...” I yelled at him raising my balled fist in front him.

“Okay... easy...we can talk about that... just get in the car will you... or I might take you inside by force” he seriously said.

I was taken aback and was a bit scared of him when he darted his eyes on me. I felt the urge to follow his command and then entered his car silently. That was the first moment I got scared of someone.


We're now driving on the main road but I still can't talk to him. When so suddenly, I realized that he didn't know where I live. So, where on earth he's taking me? I stared at him, his face was back to its normal and charming expression. Maybe it's a good time to ask him where are we going.

“Ahmm... Luhan, where are we going? You don't even know where my house is...” I suspiciously asked him.

“Yes you're right... but I know where the clothing stores are...” he said and accelerated the speed of the car.

“The clothing stores? Ahmmm... I don't need to go there...” I anxiously said and dug for my wallet to check how much money was left inside it.

“Why? You need a new uniform...” he asked then glanced at me and saw me checking my wallet.

“Ah... Luhan... looks like I can't buy my uniform today... I'm out of money and I'll get my salary next week... so maybe I'll buy my uniform when I have it already... I think I should just go home...” I sheepishly said and sighed putting my wallet back inside my bag.

His other hand tried to search for something in his back pockets while his other hand was on the steering wheel, still focused on driving. He got his wallet and showed me a gold card. I raised one of my brows to let him explain.

“We can use this...” he said with an assuring smile on his face.

“So, you'll lend me money... huh no way... I will never borrow money to anyone especially you...” I crossed my arms on my chest because of disapproval.

“Then... if you don't want to borrow it... then let say it's a treat...” he said smiling.

“A bigger no... I know that you will get something in exchange once you gave something to me...” I said with grimace evident on my tone.

A tiny smile formed on his lips as if I have given him an idea.

“Nice idea... how about, I'll pay for your new set of uniform in exchange will be... friends... how about that?” he said grinning but still focused on the road.

“What?!” I yelled at him but his smile just grew bigger.

“You don't like it?” he said teasingly.

But on the second thought being friends with him was easier than spending too much money for my new set of uniform. The uniform will cost ten shifts in the cafe, that will mean too much work and no savings from my next salary.

“Okay fine...Deal... Friends?” I extended my hand. If it's about the money I can save, I won't waste any options. You can't blame me, I just needed to save money until graduation for entering college.

“Friends...” he held and shook it.

That was how easy I became friends with the best student of the school. He bought me the new set of uniform and made me wear it because he wanted me to join him have his dinner in a fancy restaurant. Well actually, I kind of like it because I won't tire myself preparing for dinner when I got home.

But sometimes, the idea of not trusting him crosses my mind. Maybe because I just met him. Even though he was my classmate since I entered high school we're completely strangers to each other.