Epilogue

What happened?

"What do you think about the case?" Inspector Kim asked as she bent forward to retrieve her cup of coffee from the vending machine.

 

"Well, she seems legit initially but there's something still feels off somehow," Inspector Choi replied before taking a sip from her own cup.

 

"Yeah, especially when she is confused about what happened," Inspector Kim nodded thoughtfully. "The doctors said she might be a little hazy about the details but she can't even get the general picture straight."

 

"I have sent Doojoon to check her background and Eunji to interview their friends. Hopefully, that would shed some light on this case. Has the autopsy report come out yet?"

 

"It should be out today, I have gotten Dongwoon to head to the coroners' office for updates."

 

"Inspector Kim!" A young lad called out before breaking into a small jog towards the duo. "I have the autopsy report."

 

Inspector Kim immediately put down her coffee by the window ledge and reached for the report.

 

"What does it say?" Inspector Choi asked impatiently.

 

Skimming through the pages, Inspector Kim frowned as her suspicion was confirmed.

 

"He was dead prior to the car accident..." Inspector Kim widen her eyes at the following information. "And some of his wounds are ante mortem."

 

"Ante mortem?" Doojoon queried.

 

"The injuries were sustained prior to death, usually means the pathologist found signs of healing in those wounds," Inspector Choi answered before turning to Inspector Kim. "Should we call for Doctor Seo?"

 

"Psychological assessment?" Inspector Kim raised her brows. "Let's wait a while more. Doojoon, can you check the others are back? Get whoever's back to the conference room."

 

"On it!"

 


 

"Eunji, you are back," Inspector Choi stated with surprise, as she entered the conference room with Inspector Kim. "What do you have?"

 

"I tracked down some of the victim and deceased's close friends and they confirmed their relationship," Eunji reported as she flipped through her notebook. "However, I found something odd. None of them knew Taeyeon."

 

"Not at all? How about family?" Inspector Kim asked.

 

"Their family never heard of her either," Eunji replied.

 

"Secret lover?" Inspector Choi suggested. "Crime of passion perhaps?"

 

"Possible," Inspector Kim affirmed. "We have to get that checked out."

 

"Already on it. I got Dongwoon to check their phone records to make sure, he should be here soon." Eunji added.

 

Just as Eunji finished her sentence, a knock was heard from the door and there entered a young man holding a folder.

 

"No luck," Dongwoon said upon seeing the questioning look on everyone's face. "Either they are really good at hiding or they really don't know each other."

 

"And who's secret friend is she? The one in coma or the deceased?" Inspector Kim added. "Anything on the POI's background?"

 

"Oh, troubled kid," Dongwoon grinned, seemingly satisfied with what he found out. "Orphan with history of depression."

 

"Anything more?" Inspector Kim probed. "Most people have some form of depression these days, not exactly something to support the case."

 

"POI went to the same school as the victim in coma," Dongwoon withdrew his smile and replied with a serious look.

 

"So they may know each other?" Inspector Choi interjected.

 

"I can head to the school to find out more," Eunji volunteered.

 

"I doubt you can find anything after all these years," Inspector Kim said. "As much as we would like our teachers to remember us, there are just too many students but no harm trying."

 

"Dongwoon, see if you can find POI's friends and talk to them," Inspector Kim added. "Doojoon, visit POI's psychiatrist and see if you can find out more on her case."

 

"And Inspector Choi," Inspector Kim narrowed her eyes at Inspector Choi's grin. "Wipe that grin off your face and call Doctor Seo."

 

"I just like it when I am right," Inspector Choi said with a smile.

 


 

"Doctor Kwon? I am from the Seoul Police Department and I am here to ask you a few questions about one of your patients." Doojoon flashed his badge and introduced himself.

 

"Do you have a warrant?" Doctor Kwon immediately asked. "If not, I wouldn't answer any questions."

 

"I understand you are bound by the confidentiality clause but you don't have to tell me the details to your patient's illness. Perhaps you can offer your opinion on her character in general?" Doojoon tried.

 

"No comments," Doctor Kwon replied coldly. "Please show yourself out, I have patients waiting."

 

Just as Doojoon exit her office, Doctor Kwon dialed the number on her speed dial.

 

"I have done everything you asked of."

 


 

"Doctor Seo!" Inspector Choi called out to the woman on the phone.

 

Eyeing the approaching officer, Doctor Seo pocketed her phone and greeted Inspector Choi with a smile.

 

"So what can I do for you?"

 

"We need you to do a psychological assessment on a POI for one of our cases," Inspector Choi answered vaguely. "Inspector Kim will brief you more on the case later. Oh there she is."

 

"Hi Doctor Seo, thanks for coming," Inspector Kim joined the duo before turning to Inspector Choi. "I just got off the phone with Doojoon, the POI's psychiatrist seemed suspicious. She refused to answer any question when Doojoon haven't even mention which patient we are investigating. Are you heading to the pathologist's?"

 

"Yeah, I bumped into Doctor Seo here so I thought I should say hi," Inspector Choi said. "Well, now that I have done it, I should get going."

 

After bidding their goodbyes, Inspector Kim led Doctor Seo to her office. Just as they were at the door, Inspector Kim spotted a flustered Dongwoon half running towards them.

 

"Inspector Kim!" Dongwoon panted. "Her lawyer is here and demanding POI's release."

 

"That's fast," Inspector Kim commented, before looking at Doctor Seo apologetically. "Can you please wait here..."

 

"Go ahead, I will be fine here," Doctor Seo replied understandingly.

 


 

By the time Inspector Kim reached the holding room, the door was already opened and the room was left empty. She made a quick dash to the front reception just in time to see the POI walking out with a woman in formal attire, presumably her lawyer.

 

"Wait!"

 

The duo stopped and turned around but the woman in formal attire spoke first.

 

"I assume you are the officer in charge of this case. I am Ms Im, Ms Kim's lawyer," The lady introduced herself. "And I don't think you have anything to hold my client here against her wishes. So if I may, we would like to leave."

 

"Fine," Inspector Kim huffed. "But make sure your client is contactable. We may still require her assistance in the case."

 

Taeyeon nodded at her lawyer.

 

"Of course," Ms Im smiled before leading her client out of the building. Inspector Kim could only watch on, ignoring her phone that was vibrating in her pocket.

 

"That's my car, I can drop you off at your house. Your car is pretty much wrecked," Ms Im informed Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon nodded silently again as she noticed the car was covered in mud. Shrugging off her disdain at such dirtied car, Taeyeon climbed in nonetheless.

 


 

A masked individual stood by the hospital bed as she stared at the motionless occupant with an apologetic look.

 

"I am sorry," The individual whispered before pulling out her phone to dial a number.

 

The ringing tone went for quite some time before it was picked up.

 

"What took you so long to answer?!" The individual spoke impatiently.

 

"Lee, I told you to lay low and not to contact me for a while!" The voice in the phone replied angrily, voice lowered.

 

"And you told me it was fine! How's one dead, one in coma fine?!" The woman addressed as Lee replied in frustration.

 

"Trust me, the dead one has nothing to do with you," Came the answer. "Just trust me, I am working on it."

 

"Fine," Lee sighed in defeat.

 


 

"Doctor Jung!" Inspector Choi greeted cheerfully.

 

"I have already handed the report to Doojoon," Doctor Jung said without being asked.

 

"I know, I just wanted to ask you some questions personally," Inspector Choi replied as she made her way towards the body lying on the examination table. "I thought the autopsy was done?"

 

"It was, I just didn't put the body back into the freezer yet," Doctor Jung explained. "I wanted to double check some stuff."

 

"What stuff?" Inspector Choi asked.

 

"If you have read my report, I haven't quite figure out the item that have caused all these wounds," Doctor Jung gestured towards the body.

 

"I see," Inspector Choi stared at the body, seemingly lost in thoughts.

 

"So... how's the victim in the hospital doing?"

 

"Hmm?" Inspector Choi snapped out of her thoughts. "She's still in a coma and her doctors can't determine when she's going to wake up."

 

"How about the POI?"

 

"Her lawyer came and she walked. Though she's pretty suspicious if you ask me," Inspector Choi replied after a short pause. "Why are you so curious about the case? You haven't asked that much for other cases."

 

"Oh, it's just that I heard the POI and the victim in coma was from my school."

 

"Really?" Inspector Choi raised her brows. "Do you know them?"

 

"No, the school's pretty big to know everyone," Doctor Jung avoided Inspector Choi's eyes and packed her papers.

 

"I see."

 

"I have to submit these paperworks, they are urgent. I will be back with you shortly," Doctor Jung said as she made her exit.

 

After Doctor Jung left the examination room, Inspector Choi's attention was back at the body.

 

"Oppa, I told you that woman will be the death of you. I hate it as much I like to say, I am always right, aren't I?"

 


 

A/N:

Okay this is really it. The story is never meant to have an actual ending that explains everything. Just like the title suggested, I would still like to leave it to your imagination. (Mwahahahaha, I made everyone suspicious somehow. See what I did there with the last names?)

 

On the other hand, I would like to dedicate this to crime investigators who deal with puzzling cases day in and out.

 

And lol at my evilness.

 

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon