Reaper

X-D

 

 

An ominous wave of dread washed over Luhan, causing him to shiver in the middle of chores. He had this weird feeling running up his spine, but couldn’t place what the cause was. He looked over his shoulder, confirming that yes, he was alone in the kitchen. But at the same time, he wasn’t.

Deciding to ignore the foreboding aura, he continued to wash the dishes diligently.

“Morning—”

The angel flinched violently and immediately screamed, seizing a spoon in his soapy hands to use as a weapon. “BACK OFF, DEMON!”

After a moment of tense silence, he opened an eye and found Jongin staring back at him, equally frightened. “… Uh. What are you doing?”

Luhan sheepishly put down the utensil once he realized he wasn’t in any real danger. “Sorry, I’m just a bit jittery since there’s something in the house.”

“What do you mean?”

“Since last night, it feels like there’s someone other than us four here. Kyungsoo felt it too. Like, there’s something…” He glanced around suspiciously, as if the thing he was talking about could hear them. “… But there’s no one. It’s creepy.”

The doctor shook his head as he opened the fridge for a carton of milk. “It could be a ghost, but even they would reveal themselves as they come in. Poltergeists are an option too, but… Well, I would know if there was one in the house. Whatever it is, it’ll reveal itself sooner or later. Don’t worry about it.”

Luhan frowned and tried his best to shake it off. However, he couldn’t help but feel like he was being watched and observed by an unworldly entity.

Meanwhile, Jongin strode towards Yixing’s room and casually knocked on the door before walking in. The slider was sitting in bed, looking just as tired as he did. The given difference was that Yixing was more broken than he was. Knowing the fact, Jongin still asked. “You alright, buddy?”

Yixing nodded stiffly, staring at something on the wall. After a moment, he tore his eyes away and directed his attention to the other. “… Thanks for checking up on me.” In actuality, he was thankful for Jongin’s presence in the room. He needed company so that he couldn’t be alone with his emotions, his nightmares, and some unworldly entity.

The tanned male took a seat next to him and left comforting pats on his back. “I’m not sure if this is the right time to tell you this, but I think you need a distraction from… You know.”

He nodded again, voice cracking from alarm. “… Wh-What is it?”

“Um, well… Remember when I was inspecting the bite marks on your neck?” Jongin pointed to the offending blemishes, which had slightly healed since. “I was examining the fluid on your skin cells and got a match. It looks like a siren infection.”

Fearing for the worst, he asked. “What’s a siren? Am I going to die?”

Jongin laughed even though Yixing looked terrified. “No, no you’re not going to die. Sirens are provocative and devious creatures that barely look human. Almost alien-like, if you must. They like to seduce people into doing their every wish by infecting them with their venom. I don’t know when this siren bit you, so I don’t know if the effect has worn off yet. But yay, at least you’re not going to die.” 

Yixing pursed his lips, trying to remember when such a thing bit him. He should remember something so imperative, but nothing came to mind. Besides, he didn’t think he was still under the effect. He was as sane as the next person save for all his mixed emotions and tiredness at the moment. Deciding not to give it much thought, he changed the subject. “Your friend scared me this morning.”

“What?”

“I woke up and he was standing in the corner there, watching me. What’s his name? I tried to ask but he doesn’t speak much apparently…”

Jongin looked confused. “What are you talking about?”

The slider blinked and pointed at the wall. “Your friend? He’s standing right there, wearing all black.”

He turned to where to Yixing was pointing. “… I don’t see anyone.”

--

He heard his bedroom door open with a resounding creak, but did not rise at the sound. He lay as still as possible, trying to get some sleep despite the hunger pains in his stomach.

“Hey, Kyungsoo?”

Peeling his eyes open, the vampire slowly lifted the lid off his coffin and peeked out. His room was pitch-black, as dark as it could be seeing as the windows were bolted shut to prevent sun from coming in. However, the open door allowed light to pour into the room, causing him to wince and sink back down into his dark confines.

“Oops, my bad.” He heard the door shut, and some shuffling afterwards. “Sorry for waking you.”

He eventually registered Jongin’s voice and pushed open the coffin once more. “… What is it…?” Kyungsoo tried his best to sound sleepy and not distressed out of his mind. He watched Jongin stumble around in the darkness before the other responded.

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m going to town, and I’m not sure when I’ll be back. I have to get stuff for Yixing’s infection, and some other things… Luhan will be around, but I just wanted to tell you.”

“Okay…” Kyungsoo closed his coffin again, secretly covering his nose so that Jongin’s mortal scent wouldn’t get to him so much.

“Also,” he heard the clink of glass. “I know you’re trying to hold off on feeding because you’re worried about my health; don’t think you can get that past me, Soo. I’m fine, and your health is important as well. But anyway, I’m leaving this bottle here so you won’t starve when I’m gone… Alright, I’m going. See you in a bit.”

Kyungsoo waited until he left the room, waited until he bid goodbye to both Luhan and Yixing, and waited until he couldn’t smell Jongin anymore. Once he was sure the doctor was far away from the house, he bolted out of his coffin and immediately grabbed the glass vial of blood on his nightstand.

He practically inhaled it; he drank it all down in one gulp, feeling the strength return to his once weary limbs. He knew it wasn't a good idea to drink it all just as soon as his blood bank left, but he was hungry and desperate. Now, he was feeling better but not entirely sated. Somehow he needed to last until Jongin returned.

He slumped back into his coffin, inwardly groaning at his disastrous fate. 

Outside, Yixing felt well enough to step out into the living room, where Luhan sat playing with a squirrel. "Hey there, Yixing! Feeling better?" The angel chirped happily. 

"Mm...” He replied before noticing something was off. “Didn’t you have wings yesterday?"

"Hm? Oh yeah, this is my human form. It gets a bit tiring to hold up my original form all the time, so I usually switch back and forth. Come sit down!"

The slider obliged and sat on the sofa, watching him play with the small furry animal. After a moment, he looked up and cringed.

Luhan noticed. "What is it?"

“… There’s someone following me. He hasn’t said anything at all; he’s just been following me around all day.” Yixing pointed and groaned shortly afterwards. “Don’t tell me you can’t see him either.”

“Sorry, I can’t.” The pretty boy frowned. “But he’s following you around? What’s he like?”

Yixing studied the air for a minute. “Well, he’s kind of short and has really small eyes… Mono lids, I guess. He’s glaring at me now… Also, he has really bright red hair. And he’s wearing all black. Even down to the shoes.”

“Down to the shoes…” Luhan repeated, the thought not molding into his mind until seconds later. “… Oh my—” He hastily stood up, wings and halo sprouting out of nowhere. “Y-Yixing… Don’t move.”

“What? Why? What’s wrong?” Yixing asked, thoroughly confused as to why he looked so panicked.

“… You’re being followed by a reaper, Yixing,” Luhan swallowed a lump in his throat. “You’re going to die.”

The slider stiffened, slowly turning to face the dark-clothed, redheaded man sitting casually on an armrest. “… Is that true? I’m going to die?”

“Apparently.” The reaper spoke for the first time, in a cold voice laced only with the affiliations of death.

“I— what should I do?!” Luhan cried, unable to hear the reaper at all. “As an angel I can’t attack reapers… I can’t stop death. I— I’ll get Jongin. He’ll know what to do. Wait here, Yixing! Don’t move! If something happens, get Kyungsoo!” He hopped once and flew out of the house, leaving him alone with his demise.

Yixing gulped, glancing at the indifferent redhead before him. “… What am I going to die of?”

The reaper nonchalantly strode to the window and closed the blinds. “I’m not obligated to answer that.”

Seconds ticked by, the time of his death growing shorter and shorter. Somehow, Yixing wasn’t all too afraid of dying. He didn’t have Myungsoo by his side, so he had nothing to live for. He wasn’t afraid, but regretful. He just wished he could see his beloved’s face one last time before he passed.

By now, the reaper had closed all the blinds in the surrounding area, dimming the room quite a bit. Then he went into the kitchen, returning to the living room with a small knife. Yixing was about to question him before the reaper suddenly grabbed his arm and slit his skin.

Hissing in pain, he winced at the deep scarlet liquid pouring down his arm and hitting the floor in loud drops. “What was that for—?”

“Rest in peace.”

A door slammed open down the hall, causing Yixing to flinch. He managed to make out a small silhouette in the dark, striding towards him. “K-Kyungsoo, can you help…?”

The red glow of Kyungsoo’s eyes was the last thing he saw before he felt a dreadful pain in his neck.