Revelation

X-D

 

 

As if he were an animal rising from hibernation, Yixing groggily opened his eyes and was met with a dim light flickering in an otherwise dark room. He felt pain all over his body; most notably his head, which was ringing so irritatingly. Even so, he managed to sit up with some amount of trouble. While massaging his temples, he slowly examined his surroundings.

The small room he was in had wooden floorboards and walls, similar to that of a log cabin. While it gave off a homey aura, the darkness outside of the window and the surrounding silence did not sit well with Yixing. The bed he was lying on was makeshift; a blanket over several boxes, which explained the pain in his back. Other than that, the only other furniture was the nightstand holding a lit candle and the rug by a door.

His expression became blank as he tried to remember how he got into this dusty place. He wasn't particularly afraid of the possibility of being kidnapped, because he didn't have anything of value. He had nothing, but—

A sharp pain attacked his chest as soon as he remembered. The memories came rushing back to him too fast, that his head hurt more and caused him to outright collapse on the floor.

By the time the door whipped open, Yixing was already a crying, hyperventilating mess, unable to say anything but 'Myungsoo, Myungsoo'. Panicked, he flinched violently when a hand touched his shoulder and began to cower away from the unknown man kneeling before him. This man wasn't Myungsoo, he was nothing like Myungsoo, he wasn't Myungsoo, he didn't want anything to do with anyone that wasn't Myungsoo—

"It's okay," this stranger said in a soft but firm voice. "It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. Please, breathe. Breathe. It's okay. Everything's going to be okay."

Somehow Yixing found himself wanting to believe in his words. So although gradually, he tried to calm down and blink away tears to clear his vision.

The unknown man turned out to be a boy, a few years younger than Yixing himself. Immediately he noticed the bronzed skin encompassing his body and dark, unruly curls on his head. The boy's eyes were staring at him out of sincere concern and patience, and his turtleneck covered so much that his outstretched hand was barely peeking out of the sleeve it was enveloped in.

"Are you okay now?" He asked, carefully holding Yixing by the sides and lifting him back onto the bed; the latter was much too weak to stand on his own anyway. "The floor is dirty, wouldn't want you to get sick from it." He laughed a bit as he strode to the door and poked his head outside. “Hey Kyungsoo? Could you get fall boy a glass of water please?”

“Wh-where am I?” Yixing sniffed, limbs still shaking from shock. “Wh-Wh-Who are you? Where—”

The unidentified person returned to stand in front of him. “I’m Dr. Kim Jongin, or just Jongin is fine. You’re in my house slash clinic, where you’ve been sleeping in for several hours now. Kyungsoo— you can come in, Kyungsoo-ah.”

Their attention was diverted to the door, where another male was hiding somewhat behind the frame. At Jongin’s beckoning he quietly shuffled in, big doe eyes observing Yixing’s every move. His skin was almost deathly pale, especially in comparison to the aforementioned doctor. He looked young as well, if anything younger than the other two.

“This is Kyungsoo,” Jongin took the mug in his small hands and transferred it to Yixing. “He found you unconscious just outside our porch and brought you in.”

Yixing bowed his head slightly. “Th-Thank you.”

Kyungsoo suddenly wriggled his nose. “You smell really good,” he murmured a bit too loudly while sniffing.

The tanned male beside him raised an eyebrow. “Did you pick him up just to eat—?”

“No!” He denied immediately and became a little flustered. “I was genuinely concerned!”

“I know. It was a joke,” Jongin chuckled as he dodged a smack from the other. “Anyway, what’s your name, fall boy?”

“Yi-Yixing…” Although these two seemed to be friendly and the least intimidating people in existence, he couldn’t help but feel threatened by something. It wasn’t comfortable, because he was in a strange place without any familiar signs of home. He saw no sign of Myungsoo anywhere, so comfort would be the last thing he’d feel. “But h-how did I get here? I was in my apartment yesterday a-and…”

The look on Jongin’s face turned serious. “… You mean you don’t know?”

He watched as the two before him exchanged mixed glances. “… Know what?”

“Well… I’m not certain of anything, so I don’t want to give you information you don’t need if I haven’t given you a medical exam yet,” Jongin turned to leave. “You need rest. We’ll talk about this in the morning.”

“W-Wait!” He couldn’t sleep now. Not when he didn’t know where he was, what anything was or why Myungsoo disappeared. Yixing couldn’t be left alone with his thoughts, not knowing anything. He was desperate. “… M-Medical exam or whatever, I don’t care… But please… Tell me what’s going on.”

The other male gave him a soft smile. “If you insist.”

Jongin left the room and several minutes later he brought in a chair, a large black suitcase and a small fold-up table. He sat in front of Yixing and began to pull out different medical instruments out of the case; his serious aura gave off nothing but the impression of a full-fledged doctor, although he was so young. Kyungsoo silently watched from the wall.

“You’re familiar with physical exams, correct?” He lifted up a tongue depressor. “Then this shouldn’t be anything new. Open your mouth.”

Yixing obediently followed through with his directions as Jongin examined his mouth, ears, eyes, breathing and reflexes. He was entirely certain that he wasn’t sick, because he lived out twenty two years perfectly fine. But he was nevertheless tolerant with the examination until Jongin pulled out a syringe.

“I’m going to take the blood test now,” the tanned boy said calmly although Yixing was about to freak out. “Not sure if you want to hang around, Soo.”

Kyungsoo peeled himself off the wall and began to shuffle out of the room. “Do you want Luhan to help you?”

“I can do it myself. He’s not home anyway; probably wandering off somewhere. Just go to bed, it’s almost morning.”

“Okay.”

Jongin waited until the door closed before turning back to a terrified patient. “This will not hurt a bit.” As he approached closer with that needle in hand, Yixing squeezed his eyes shut and wished for it to be over quickly. He flinched when he felt a small prick in his arm, but surprisingly he was not in excruciating pain as he’d imagine.

When he opened his eyes again, Jongin was dispensing his blood sample into a tiny jar. “Alright, this is what your blood looks like. Compare this,” he picked up another similar container from the case. “To mine.”

Yixing observed both jars sitting on the table. Jongin’s blood was a relatively normal, dark red. In comparison, his sample was lighter in color; but he didn’t know what it meant.

“I know this may sound weird to you, but this is human blood.” The doctor tapped his own jar. “This is my blood; I’m one hundred percent human.”

“… A-Are you saying I’m not human?” Yixing made a face, bewildered and confused at this statement. Surely he was normal. Nothing exceptional happened in his life that would convince him otherwise, if he remembered any of it. But the evidence was there; Yixing was not like the human Jongin, he was different.

“I’m not saying that,” Jongin said this slowly for him to grasp the reality of the situation. “I’m saying that you’re a special human. I think you may have certain abilities, things that other people wouldn’t be able to do. Otherwise, you’re normal like myself.”

Yixing was having a hard time understanding. His whole life, although blurry, seemed like a lie. He thought he was normal, and suddenly being brought this piece of news… He didn’t know what to feel. “… What abilities…?”

The younger picked up a notebook and began to write in it. “Do you remember anything similar to a portal? A hole, a vacuum, anything of that sort?” He nodded when Yixing did. “Right. Kyungsoo, he was outside when a small hole ripped open in the sky. He saw you fall right through it. You were knocked unconscious when you hit the ground. This is beyond my guesses, but I’m assuming what he saw was an interdimensional gateway.”

Jongin let out a sigh as he grasped Yixing’s shoulders and stared right into his eyes. “Again, I’m not entirely certain since this is all based on hypothesis, but I think you’re not from this world. You belong to another dimension, not ours. How you got here, I think it’s because of your ability. Your ability to open portals and transport yourself to other dimensions; I think… I think you may be what they call a slider.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


slider; an entity who travels through parallel universes.
sorry even though I wrote Jongin as a doctor I can't stop singing 'SOMEONE CALL THE DOCTOR NAL BUTJAPGO MALHAEJWO'
anyway, we're introduced Kyungsoo and Jongin! what do you think their relationship is? 
and what do you think of Yixing having special abilites? OuO