Chapter 1: Childhood daze

Lost Heart

A little boy around four years old stood there, in front of a huge mansion, holding his mother’s hand. ‘Now Changmin,’ she says, ‘behave appropriately while meeting the Kim family alright?’ Changmin nods his little head in affirmation. His mother then smiled at him and tugged his hand gently to let him know that they were going to enter.

Once they had entered the building, Changmin immediately looked around at his surroundings. He was in a very grand hallway. The walls were painted in a creamy colour with marble and all sorts of material that the little boy didn’t know about. Then, they entered a large parlour with very big couches and very fine tables, vases and countless other things. On one couch sat a man with a very stern and serious face talking to someone on the opposing couch. On that couch sat a pretty looking woman with a swelling stomach and a very kind and soft face. The man noticed Changmin and his mother and stood up immediately. He walked over to Changmin and his mother and greeted them, ‘Good morning.’ The man shakes Changmin’s mother’s hand and then shakes Changmin’s small hand. He bent down to the little boy’s level and says in a very kind voice, ‘Now young man, what is your name?’ He asks. ‘Changmin,’ the small four year old says. The man smiles and stands back up to his original height. ‘Nice to meet both of you,’ he says to both of them. ‘Please, have a seat and make yourselves comfortable.’ Changmin’s mother nods lightly and tugs Changmin’s hand towards one of the large furry couches. Once they had sat down, a maid came carrying a china teapot, teacups and a bowl full of scones. She set them down on the fine coffee table before bowing. The woman with the swelling stomach and Changmin’s mother greeted each other and started to have a friendly conversation. Then a little boy around Changmin’s age, with combed light brown hair, toddled into the large parlour and tugged onto the hand of that woman who was conversing with Changmin’s mother. ‘Yes dear?’ asks the woman, breaking the conversation. ‘Umma, I’m bored,’ the little boy whines. ‘Well, why don’t you play with Mrs. Shim’s son?’ she suggests, then smiles and directs her attention to Changmin. The little boy looks at Changmin as well. ‘Okay!’ The little boy brightens and gestures for Changmin to follow him. Changmin gets off the couch and sprints in the direction where the little boy was going. While the boys were out of the room, the adults started talking about topics like business and family. Changmin was chasing the little boy around the house until the little boy suddenly stopped to catch a breath. Changmin stopped running too and walked towards the little boy. The little boy was very puffed out, as he was hunched over and panting. Suddenly, the little boy turns his head slightly to look at Changmin. He smiles. The little boy stands up straight, out of his hunched over position, but he was still panting.

‘Hi, I’m Kim Hyun Joong,’ the little boy says. Hyun Joong holds out his hand to Changmin, expecting him to shake it. ‘Shim Changmin,’ Changmin says while smiling his adorable uneven smile. They shake hands firmly. The handshake strangely turns into an arm wrestle, and then they let go, giggling. ‘C’mon, I’ll show you around the house,’ Hyun Joong says. ‘Alright,’ Changmin agrees. During the next thirty minutes, Hyun Joong was showing Changmin around the huge mansion and acquainting him with some of the staff. Once they were done with the tour, Hyun Joong dragged Changmin into a quiet corner and put his hand over his mouth. ‘Shh!!’ whispers Hyun Joong. Changmin nods and Hyun Joong releases his hand from Changmin’s mouth. A look of excitement replaces Hyun Joong’s previous look of seriousness. ‘What is it?’ asks Changmin, confused. ‘Guess what?’ asks Hyun Joong, ignoring Changmin’s former question. Changmin sighs and asks dully, ‘what?’ ‘I’m gonna have a baby sister!’ exclaims Hyun Joong. Changmin suddenly turns excited as well, ‘really?’ he asks. Hyun Joong nods enthusiastically. ‘That’s great,’ says Changmin. ‘Okay, okay, let’s go back to the parlour,’ says Hyun Joong.

About four months has passed since Changmin and Hyun Joong met each other, they had grown very close and were like brothers. ‘Changmin!’ yells the voice of his father. Changmin runs downstairs into his father’s expensive and large office. ‘Yes, appa?’ asks Changmin obediently. ‘I have just got a call from the Kim’s and we need to be at the hospital immediately. Your mother is already there and we need to be there just in time,’ replies his father franticly. Just in time for what? Changmin asks himself, but he wouldn’t dare ask his father. ‘Come on,’ urges his father. Changmin’s dad practically drags Changmin’s little body out of the house and into a shiny black limousine. They quickly drove to the hospital and were in the waiting room with Changmin’s mother, Hyun Joong and his father in no time. Changmin and Hyun Joong’s fathers greeted each other professionally and started to talk. Changmin’s mother affectionately pats Changmin’s head a nd gives him a kiss on the cheek. ‘What’s all the fuss about?’ Changmin asks Hyun Joong. Hyun Joong replies, ‘My sister’s being born so appa’s a bit worried.’ ‘Oh,’ Changmin says.

After a few anxious minutes, a nurse comes in, holing a clipboard. ‘Mrs. Kim is ready for visitors now,’ she says formally. Everyone looks at each other and stands up. The three adults, along with the two boys, enter the hospital room. Mrs. Kim is sitting on the hospital bed in the white, plain hospital clothes while holding a little baby wrapped in pink blankets in her arms lovingly. Mrs. Kim gestures for them to come in. Hyun Joong immediately rushes up to his mother’s side and takes a look at the little baby that is now his sister. Hyun Joong smiles gently. ‘She’s beautiful,’ says Mr. Kim. ‘I know,’ replies Mrs. Kim softly. ‘She’s so cute,’ coos Mrs. Shim. Changmin walks towards the bed and takes a look at the baby. He smiles gently, just like Hyun Joong. ‘What should we call her?’ asks Mrs. Kim. ‘So Eun, Kim So Eun,’ whispers Mr. Kim. So Eun Changmin thinks to himself, such a beautiful name.       

Four years later…

A little girl with silky black hair stood in the midst of beautiful flowers in the park. She was about four years old and very cute. She wore a silky and expensive light pink dress that went up to her ankles. Her parents bought her anything she wanted. But, she did not have the attitude of a rich man’ daughter spoilt rotten. Instead, she acted very modestly and generously. Apparently, her older brother did not think so and began to detest her since she was old enough to toddle. Suddenly, she heard a rustle behind her. She turned around and saw a huge tree. But what had captured her attention was not the tree, but the little tree house that was present amongst the leaves and branches. There was a ladder that connected to the door to the tree house. Out of curiosity, she put her hand on the bottom of the ladder and started climbing. But before she could enter the tree house, a boy popped his head out of the window of the tree house. He looked angry. ‘Can’t you read?’ he asked. The little girl turned her attention towards the door. It said No girls allowed. Sadly, she couldn’t read it for she was too young. Instead she focused her attention back to the window. But the boy was gone. She heard noises coming out of the tree house. There must be someone else in the tree house. Then the door of the tree house opened and there, stood the little girl’s brother and that boy that was at the window with their hands behind their backs. How peculiar the little girl thought. ‘Ready Changmin?’ asked the girl’s brother. ‘Ready whenever you are Hyun Jooong,’ replied Changmin. They took out their hands from behind their backs and revealed what they were hiding. Water balloons. The little girl started to panic and wanted to climb down from the ladder as fast as possible. But before she could even go down one step, the two boys pelted the balloons at her. She screamed and fell down from the tall ladder. Her back ached and she was very cold in her wet dress, but she would not cry. Once Changmin and Hyun Joong stopped their raid of water balloons, they started laughing mockingly. ‘Look at So Eun, hyung!’ said Changmin between his hysterics. Hyun Joong just kept laughing, not caring if his sister was in very much pain. So Eun couldn’t take this anymore, so she got up, ignoring the pain in her back, and ran as fast as she could. The tears blinded her vision as she ran deeper into the streets, obviously exiting the peaceful park.

Changmin felt a painful stab in his heart as he watched So Eun flee. ‘Umm, hyung, don’t’ you think that we were a bit too rash on her?’ asked Changmin sadly. ‘I think she deserved it. After all, they are just water balloons. She gets everything from mom and dad anyway, so she’ll probably cheer up when they buy her a pony or something,’ replies Hyun Joong nonchalantly. Changmin nods and tries to trust Hyun Joong’s judgement.

Hyun Joong invited Changmin to have a sleepover at his house and they were now sleeping in Hyun Joong’s huge king sized bed. The little eight year old thought about the moment at the park. I can’t help but feel sorry for her. He thought to himself. Yes, I should apologise. Once he had decided to say sorry to So Eun, he slipped out of the bed and sneaked upstairs. Thank god Mr. and Mrs. Kim aren’t here. It’s just me and the maids. He reached for the fancy golden doorhandle and pulled it open slowly. Once he had fully opened the door, he stepped into the humungous bedroom and searched for So Eun’s bed. Changmin took a good look around the room and noticed that the room was painted in different shades of pink, purple and gold. Aha, he finally spotted the bed, but the cover looked untouched and there was no body lying there. Changmin started to panic and ran out of the room as fast as he could. Before he knew it, he was out of the house and back at the park. The park was also empty and he decided to search the streets for her. So far, he spotted nothing, and his legs were getting tired. Changmin stopped when he heard the sound of soft sobbing. He immediately ran and followed the direction where the noise was coming from. He ended up in a street corner, and not a nice one. The brick walls were all grey and grimy and the place was littered with rubbish. Changmin spotted So Eun huddled up near one of the walls, sobbing. Her usual silky hair was now a mess, and her pure pink dress looked like it had been washed in dirt. Changmin’s heart sank and he slowly walked towards So Eun. Changmin bent down and whispered, ‘So Eun.’ She kept sobbing. Okay, I’ll try one more time, he decided. ‘So Eun, please don’t cry.’ Still it didn’t work. This time however, the little eight year old crouched down and enveloped So Eun into a loving hug. ‘There, there,’ he soothed. ‘No need to cry anymore. I’m so sorry for scaring you before.’ So Eun stiffened against his hug, but her sobs were ceasing. Changmin knew he was doing something right. For a few minutes, they just sat there in silence, the only sounds coming from So Eun’s soft breathing. Changmin waited for So Eun to stop crying. Once she did, Changmin pulled away from the one sided hug and smiled gently at her. ‘All better?’ he asked. So Eun nodded slightly in reply. Changmin brightened, ‘Good.’ He stood up from his crouched position and extended a hand out to her. ‘Coming?’ he asked playfully. So Eun smiled slightly and linked his slightly larger hand with hers. This made his heart flutter. Changmin gently tugged her up to help her stand. Once they were both standing, Changmin led the way through the streets, and after a few minutes of walking in silence, they reached the Kim’s mansion. Changmin and So Eun silently walked up the stairs and into So Eun’s pinkish room. Changmin guided So Eun to her bed in the dark, and she lay down on the soft mattress. He tucked her in the bed with the delicate blanket reaching up to her small chin. So Eun fell asleep almost immediately due to the emotional day. Changmin smiled, seeing her angelic face. Making sure not to disturb her, he exited her bedroom very quietly and made his way back to Hyun Joong’s room. Changmin creeped back into the bed and slept, the image of So Eun’s sleeping face stuck in his mind before he went to sleep.

Ever since that fateful incident that night, Changmin and So Eun had grown particularly close. However, Hyun Joong was slightly uncomfortable with the relationship but accepted it anyway. Even though, So Eun and Hyun Joong still had a bit of rivalry between them, that did not get in the way of the three children’s friendship. One day, Changmin came over to the Kim’s mansion. Hyun Joong was feeling unwell and Changmin was there to keep him company. Turned out, Hyun Joong did not feel like having any company, so Changmin played with So Eun instead. They were playing hide and seek with the butlers and the maids, because two people playing hide and seek would obviously be boring. After a few minutes, Changmin grew bored of the game and decided to add a little twist in the game. So, when So Eun started counting, Changmin did not bother to hide, unlike the maids and butlers who were strangely taking this little game very seriously. ’thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight, thirty nine, forty,’ as soon as So Eun counted to forty, she turned around, only to meet the sight of Changmin ‘BOO!’ he said as soon as So Eun turned around. ‘Ahh!!’ she screamed. Changmin laughed and smiled that all famous uneven grin. ‘This game’s getting boring you know,’ he says, ‘How about the hider gets to chase the seeker!’ So Eun has a look of confusion and then it is replaced by the look of realisation. ‘Oh…’ she says. ‘Uh oh.’ Then Changmin started chasing So Eun around the huge mansion. Suprisingly, So Eun was rather quick like her brother. ‘What is with you Kim’s and running!’ giggled Changmin while running hard. So Eun giggled back and made no reply. ‘Ahh!!’ she screamed as she jumped over a fallen pillow. Few, if I wouldn’t of jumped over the pillow, I would’ve- But before she could finish thinking to herself, Changmin grabbed her waist from behind and pressed her body against his. ‘GOTCHA!!!’ he yelled. So Eun giggled at how much fun she was having. But, a faint blush stained her cheeks when she realised that Changmin was holding her in such a way that- No So Eun reprimanded herself he is just a good friend, nothing else.

From the doorway, Changmin’s and So Eun’s parents watched their children play innocently. They smiled at their affection for each other. The fathers however, looked slightly uncomfortable, while the mothers were delighted to see their children so happy. Watching the scene of his daughter so happy with the Shim’s son sparked an idea into Mr. Kim’s mind.

The next day, Mr. Kim discussed his idea with his wife. Mrs. Kim approved of the idea and encouraged her husband to tell the Shim’s. And so, Mr. Kim did. ‘Excuse me, Mr. Shim,’ called Mr. Kim while knocking on the large mahogany door to the Shim’s large office that is slightly larger than his own. ‘Come in,’ called Mr. Shim. Mr. Kim opened the door and bowed to Mr. Shim who was sitting in a rather expensive looking swivel chair and a desk with neatly arranged paperwork in front of him. ‘Yes?’ Mr. Shim asked. ‘I was wondering,’ Mr. Kim began. ‘Considering how successful both our companies are, and how my daughter and your son are very close, I was thinking… it would prove a rather successful outcome if both of them were to be engaged. They would know when they are old enough, of course,’ added Mr. Kim. Mr. Shim seemed to be thinking deeply about this before he replied, ‘That is a rather brilliant idea, and the children would probably have no problem with this, since they are so close.’ ‘Have you talked about this matter with your wife?’ asked Mr. Shim. ‘Yes, I have, sir,’ answered Mr. Kim. ‘I suppose my wife wouldn’t have a problem with this,’ thought Mr. Shim aloud. ‘Alright then,’ agreed Mr. Shim. ‘From this day on, Shim Changmin and Kim So Eun are to be betrothed to each other,’ announced Mr. Shim with a happy smile. ‘Thank you,’ said Mr. Kim. ‘Oh, no need to thank me, my friend; it is you who I should be thanking. I can see it now, a brighter, bigger, and happier future for both our families,’ argued Mr. Shim. ‘Yes, sir,’ replied Mr. Kim. ‘I will fill out all the official paperwork as soon as I get home. Good day sir,’ farewelled Mr. Kim. ‘Good day,’ replied Mr. Shim.

Yo! Sup peeps. Anyway, sorry for the late update. Because of school stuff and things like that are getting in the way. By the way, my story, ‘My Brave Kim So Eun’ is still continuing and I’ll try to update my story as soon as I can. Oh, and the next chapter would probably be a bit longer than this one. So, fingers crossed I would try to update it around Saturday!!!