Chapter 5: The phone call

Torn

NOTE: To my fellow readers, I aplogize for the delay in uploading the next chapter. I have been busy studying which takes up most of my time hence the delay. Please enjoy and thank you for reading :D ) 

 

Night has fallen in Seoul and Michelle is left alone yet again for a another late night session in the SM headquarters but, this time it was for a different reason. She wanted to investigate on who would send her orchids. She tried to look for any clues in her office, she was looking for anything to relieve her tension. She really just looked dumb, looking through every nook and cranny in her office to look for a strain of hair or a fingerprint.

 

“Ok, maybe I should forever put up my detective skills.” She huffed slowly getting up from her office floor. “I’m sure this building has plenty of cameras, but I highly doubt I have access to them. Why am I being this paranoid anyway?” She questioned herself. “How about I just think of the orchids as a nice welcoming gift to Korea?” She glanced at the vase of orchids for a moment, “Nah.” She reached for her phone and pulled out the note from under her phone. She stared at the note trying to figure out what the all those numbers were. “I got nothing, I’d rather go home and watch Hello Counselor with Halmoni.” She gathered her belongings, including the orchids and headed out.

 

~~

“I’m glad you’re home dear and just in time for the show.” Halmoni smiled as Michelle walked through the door. “Go change quickly!”

 

“Yes Halmoni.” Michelle placed the vase on the coffee table and went to go change.

 

“Oo, Michelle this episode looks pretty good!”

 

“I’m sure it is Halmoni.” Michelle smiles sitting next to her.

 

“Orchids huh? Did someone give it to you?”

 

“It was on my desk when I arrived from lunch.”

 

“Ah, you know dear you’re a pretty girl. I feel like you need to go out more. You’re always at home or work. Did you make any friends at work?”

 

“No Halmoni. I think I told you the story of the Sunbaes.”

 

“I know, it’s good for you to stand up. But after all they are your Sunbaes, you should treat them from time to time.”

 

“I know I should but...I don’t know it’s ok. Let’s just watch the show.”  Michelle really did not want the conversation to escalate because she knew Halmoni would talk about tradition and culture. In her mind regardless what the culture is in Korea, she wanted to be treated with respect and be acknowledged that she can do a good job and that’s it.

 

Michelle glanced at her phone checking the time, “Halmoni, it’s almost dinner time. Would you like me to whip something up for you?

 

“No dear, I know you’re very tired. I have a bunch of menus from different food places. Just pick one from the kitchen counter  and order some food for both of us.

 

“Alright.” Michelle smiles and heads towards the kitchen counter. She looks through the different menus and that’s when it hit her. “A phone number?” She said to herself. “It has to be a phone number!” She smiled proudly.

 

~~

Halmoni was fast asleep after eating and watching her favorite TV show, Michelle made sure that she was asleep before dialing the mysterious number. She carefully pulled out the note underneath her phone.

 

“Alright, let’s do this.” Michelle slowly closed her bedroom door and sat on her bed. “I wonder if there is a way to make my phone number private? God, what’s wrong with me? If it’s someone I don’t know I’ll just apologize and move on.” Michelle dialed each number one by one anticipating on who might answer. Her  leg shook nervously hearing the dial tone suddenly, a male voice answered.

 

Yeoboseyo?” said the male voice

 

“Um, yes I received this number with a vase of orchids. Uh...” She paused trying to contemplate on how to ask whether this person said it to her. And how to say it properly in Korean since she doesn’t know if it’s a older or younger male.

 

“This is Michelle right?” The male voice asked in English.

 

“Y-yes, yes it is.”

 

“Hey Michelle, it’s Siwon.”

 

“S-siwon?!” She rolls off her bed and hits the carpet. “Ouch!” she cursed under her breath.

 

“Is everything alright?”

 

“Yea everything is fine.” She rubbed her lower back as she tried to sit comfortably on the carpet.

 

“I’m sure you’re surprised I called you right?”

 

“A little.”

 

“Well, I sent you those orchids for a very important reason.”

 

“Oh yea? And what is the important reason?”

 

“To congratulate you on your new job position.”

 

“My new job position? I’m not following.”

 

“Well, you are a part of my staff now. Alot of responsibility will be on your shoulders but, I know you can do it. I’m looking forward to what you can bring.” Michelle’s heart was pounding listening to Siwon speak. She really had nothing to say. “Michelle? Are you still there?”

 

“Yes, I’m barely here.”

 

“Barely?” he chuckled. “We need you to be on it like you have been on the legal team. Junghoon my manager will get in touch with you tomorrow. And one more thing...”

 

“Y-yes?”

 

“This is my personal phone number so you can reach me whenever you need to.”

 

“Oh, I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

“Did you like the orchids Michelle? I know you told me they were your favorite flower.”

 

“Yes, it’s beautiful. Thank you. Um, may I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Why me? I mean, not that I’m not grateful or anything. I’m just surprised.”

 

“I understand, I heard how hard you worked and I merely suggested that you should be a part of my team since we travel all over the place. I spoke to my manager about it and he followed up on it. It’s a process I’m really not familiar with.”

 

“Oh, I see. I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

 

“I’m happy that you are a part of my team and remember if you need anything or just want someone to talk to, just call this number.”

 

“Yes of course.”

 

“Alright Michelle, have a good night.”

 

“Good night.” She waited for Siwon to hang up. “Oh. my. GOD!” Her phone slipped from her hand as she lied down on the carpet floor trying to contemplate on what happened. “Ok so I talked to Siwon, THE siwon. Then he told me I got a new job working with him. And then... what happens?” she stares at the ceiling lost in her thought.  “Ugh, I need a drink! Wait, no I shouldn’t. I need to be alert to know what is going to happen next. This is TOO MUCH!” she whined flipping herself over to her belly  and buried her head in her arms attempting to drain her thoughts....

 
To be continued ....