Chapter 2: The New Battlefield

Torn

She has olive skin, almond shape eyes, straight black hair,  and a sincere smile. She was heading off to make her dreams come true. Michelle always wanted to work abroad and she finally got a chance to show what she’s made of. She did not graduate from a top college, her LSAT score wasn’t the highest but she triumphantly  survived  law school and worked  for a top law firm as legal adviser in her home town of San Francisco. Nerves were getting to her as she hopped onto the plane.

 

“Mom, Dad I’m doing this for you. I’m going to make you proud I promise.” It was a promise not only to her parents but to herself...

 

~~

A few days have passed since she has settled in Seoul. Her boss’s grandmother has welcomed her with open arms in her small yet cozy apartment. She does have to deal with a young rascal for a neighbor named Jimin but at least he’s the one who has been helping around. She was finally going to SM for a final interview.

 

“Halmoni (grandmother), I’m leaving.”

 

“Alright, be careful when taking the subway.”

 


 

“Yes mom I’m eating well.” Siwon spoke to his mom while driving back to the SM building. “Don’t worry umma, I’m fine. Alright ,tell Dad I said Hi. Ok see you.”

 

“Everything good?” Junghoon asked casually.

 

“Yep, just the usual.” Siwon pulls up to the front of the building in his sleek Black Audi. His car suddenly jumps nearly hitting someone. Siwon quickly slams his brakes

 

“YA! What are you doing? Trying to kill someone?” The young lady shouted and quickly walked inside.

 

“Phew, that was a close one.”

 

“Dude, get your car checked.”

 

“Uh, dude. I keep telling you to go take care of it and you don’t. It’s ok I’ll take care of it.” Siwon shakes his head as he parks his car and gets out. “I wonder who she was, I should apologize.”

 

"Don't bother, let's get going before you get swarmed by fans."

 


 

"Sheesh, haven't started the new job and I'm getting almost run over" Michelle scoffs as she heads inside.  She is quickly greeted by the front desk lady. She is escorted to her new place of work and greets her new boss.

 

"Ah Ms. Michelle, welcome.  Come sit and let's discuss the details of your new job"  She is quickly seated and is told all her responsibility which included being in touch with the SM entertainment headquarters in Los Angeles and being a team player when it comes to any legal papers and documents. She was quickly escorted to her desk and immediately started to work on documents and speaking with other departments. She was quick to catch up with the  new work style and diligently adjusted to the new atmosphere.

 

“Excuse me, are you Michelle?” She was interrupted by a coworker.

 

“Ah yes.” She quickly gets up and bows politely.

 

“Looks like you are adjusting well. It’s almost lunch time, why don’t you join me and my fellow co workers.”

 

“Oh, I would gladly join you Sunbae.” She smiles and follows a small group of her seniors.  They quickly found a nice local restaurant and had a seat. Michelle luckily knew the Korean culture well and poured Soju for her fellow Sunbaes.

 

“Ah, she knows our culture well.  Let’s drink! Ganbae!” Michelle and her coworkers clinked their Soju glasses. Michelle took a small sip while the others took it in one shot. “Michelle, you didn’t drink your soju.”

 

“Please don’t take offense, I’m not much of a drinker. Besides we have to be at work so I want to stay focused.”

 

“Aish, don’t worry. One drink won’t get you drunk. Come on drink it!”  She hesitantly looked at the shot glass then at her Sunbaes. They all had the same almost pushy looking expression on their face, she grabbed the glass and took the shot.

 

“Ack! It’s strong!” She coughed loudly and poured herself some water.

 

“With time dear, with time. I hope you’re hungry, I’m sure you’ll love some samgyupsal we can’t get enough!”  Smiled a lady coworker.

 

“Samgyupsal? That’s grilled pork isn’t it? Her Sunbaes nodded. “Oh, well I don’t eat pork.” Her voice trailed off.  “I apologize for not telling you.”

 

“Oh but pork is so delicious! You must try!” Assured another co worker

 

“I’m sure it is but I just can’t have it. I mostly eat beef or chicken..” She tried really hard to explain to them that she can’t eat pork and no matter what excuse she gave her Sunbaes just could not understand. Her mood was slowly dropping as her coworkers ate the pork while she was stuck with eating the sides and a bowl of rice. It didn’t help that her Sunbaes were full of smart comments.

 

“I’m very surprised they would hire a foreigner in such an important job.” One snickered.

 

“Who knows, maybe they were desperate?” Another giggled.

 

“Impossible, my sister wanted that job and she got chosen over my sister.” Said another.

 

“Either way I really don’t know how you will survive our work style, you’re not even Korean.” Michelle’s heart immediately sank, she placed her bowl on the table.

 

“If you excuse me, I’m going to leave now. Thank you for the lunch Sunbae, I’ll be more than happy to pay for it.” She gets up, pays for their lunch, and leaves quietly.

 

“Hmph, who the hell does she think she is? So rude!”

 

“Whatever, leave her. She can’t survive anyway, let’s drink!”

 

“God, I work my off like I never had before and I get dissed by my co workers! And it’s not even close to 5! Will I even get off at 5? Ugh, probably not!” She sighed and dragged her feet back inside the building.

 


 

“A newbie huh? Interesting.” said Siwon intrigued.

 

“Yup and she’s part of the legal team here and she is helping the U.S. headquarters too.” said Siwon’s make up artist.

 

“Did she start today?”

 

“From what I know ye and apparently she isn’t in good ties with the Sunbaes.

 

“When she did she start working?”

 

“Today!”

 

“Huh? How do you know this?”

 

“You know that I have connections.  I’ll keep you posted on any information.” She smiled finishing his makeup.

 

“Alright, thanks.” Siwon smiled and waited for Junghoon to finish talking on the phone. He motion with his hands to hurry him up.  “Hm, wonder if it’s the same girl?” He said to himself. “Ya, Junghoon hyung! Can we go now?” Junghoon motioned with his hand to wait. “Aish this man!” Siwon leaves and stands outside waiting for his manager. “The life of a married man I guess.” He shrugs and sees the same lady who he almost ran into earlier “Oh, is that her? Um, excuse me?” Michelle stops in her tracks looking miserable than ever.

 

“I believe I almost ran over you earlier. I humbly apologize.” Michelle just stands there and blinks. “Um, is something wrong?”

 

“Oh, no. It’s ok.” Michelle bows and walks away.

 

“Geez” Siwon chuckled. “That sounded rude and I don’t even think she recognized me. Gosh, I need to get more popular.” Junghoon sprints outside bumping into Siwon.

 

“Alright I’m ready.”

 

“Took you long enough, anywho let’s go and there’s something I need you to do.”

 

To be continued.